The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Under the radar candidate:

Willie Korn. The Corstal Carolina Chancletas have had a sneaky good offense for several years in a row. Plus he's a QB coach. I've included a couple articles talking about the scheme.

Advertisement
I will also add that Alonzo will need to be instrumental here to self scout this team and program and lead us to candidates. Hopefully scouting portal guys will help find an OC who’s young and hungry.

Also Riley may just be running Sonny’s offense so be wary.
Can Alonzo convince Mario to run a real offense.....that is $8 million dollar question

Maybe it is the shiny new toy syndrome but I want what Tennessee has. Badly.
As currently constructed, we don’t have the roster to run that offense and get the same results. My vote is Anae from Cuse or Dykes from Texas Tech.

Anae has done more with less talent and has ACC experience. Look at the drop off after he left UVA and the improvements made by Cuse.

As currently constructed, we don’t have the roster to run that offense and get the same results. My vote is Anae from Cuse or Dykes from Texas Tech.

Anae has done more with less talent and has ACC experience. Look at the drop off after he left UVA and the improvements made by Cuse.
You mean Kittley from TT, yeah I would like that too but I don’t think Cristobal will ever go full Air Raid though.

Agree on Anae, Manny Diaz interviewed him the year we hired Lashlee if I’m not wrong.

One name mentioned by @Liberty City El who runs a pretty balanced offense is Barry Lunney Jr from Illinois (former UTSA).

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd do my own investigating in regards to Frost before even interviewing. You never know what is true and what are rumors justifying a guy flaming out spectacularly.

Frankly, I'd look more at Mullen and Herman as options. I'd also have that second tier of candidates ready. Jeff Lebby doesn't appear to be a good fit at OU, Venables may not have a long tenure at this rate, Lebs may want to bail out before it gets toxic. I also like Harrell, I think he got a bum rap at USC due to dealing with Helton. Lots of quality OCs out there, FIND ONE.
What makes you say Jeff Lebby is not a good fit at Oklahoma?

Go Canes

Just to put this in perspective:

Do you all remember the 2007 game vs NC ST where Kirby was 1-14 for 84 yards and 3 INTs? Well in that game Kirby threw for 1 TD and we scored 16 total points on offense. 1 TD and 16 total points are both more TDs and total points than we scored vs A&M and UVA *******COMBINED****** in regulation. Think about that. Arguably the worst QB performance in modern football still outproduced TWO GAMES worth of Gattis' offense.

Is our roster loaded with underperforming players who have no heart / dawg in them and need to be cleared out? Absolutely. However, that does not excuse the absolute impotence and incompetence we've seen on the offensive side of the football. Gattis is making a great case to be the worst offensive coordinator we've ever had, and we cannot afford to keep him on another season.

Advertisement
Assuming Gattis gets sh't canned at the end of the season who are the candidates you want to see take over the offense?

My list:

Tom Herman: His offense got better every year at Texas finishing 7th in scoring the year he was fired.
Scott Frost: Failed as HC at Nebraska, but that may just be a dead program. Runs an uptempo spread offense that Florida athletes would thrive in.
Dan Mullen: Runs a power spread that's been successful everywhere he's been. I don't like how he uses his QB as a battering ram though.
Art Briles: We all know his story. Probably done coaching in college but would be a homerun hire at OC.

The above are all available.

Candidates below who are currently employed:

Jeff Scott: Current HC of South Florida that parlayed Clemson offensive success into a HC gig. The decline in efficiency immediately after he left Clemson was noticeable. Runs a power spread that would mesh with Cristobal's vision. Has won 4 games in 3 years at USF. May get fired after this season.
Alex Golesh: His name came up during our search to fill the staff. Only way I'd see him leave for a lateral position is if Heupel is the one calling plays and Golesh wants the reins. I couldn't find confirmation on who calls their plays.
Andrew Sowder: I've seen somebody mention him a couple times so adding him to the list. Took over the 104th scoring offense in 2018 at Kent State and had them #1 by 2020.
Warren Ruggiero: One of the prototypical "does less with more" coaches coordinating that Wake Forest offense. Since 2017 has averaged at least 30 points each season with the last two hovering around 40ppg.

Who'd you add to this list as names to watch/explore?
Love the list of guys u have. Was hoping for Herman. But would love Mullen that guy just knows how to coach offense. 1 name that needs to be on that list is Garret Riley OC TcU

Mullen would take it just so he can hang 50 on the gators in a few years 😂
He just doesn’t like recruiting only hiccup he would have with Mario but the type of coach to really help Mario win games. Almost like Urban at Florida with Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back