The New Age Second-Level Defender

Agree. If he's thinking about fielding a lot of striker body types on the field, I can see us struggling against physical teams that can run. Unfortunately, there are several on our schedule. I'm not convinced DT can take on blockers as you are and I agree with DE. 22/33 haven't shown much to this point. My point is that Manny is going to have to be creative due to these (potential) personnel issues.
Other Bama (obviously) and to a lesser extent perhaps UNC and NC State I don't see many teams on our schedule that are physical run-based teams.

I think we can probably get away with it against the vast majority of our schedule but will likely get manhandled by the upper echelon teams.

Advertisement
Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.
I've been calling for this for years. No reason to play plodder LBs on LDD when you can substitute.

Smith's growth as a run defender inside the box has simplified what could've been a disappointing and frustrating WLB rotation.

It's true that Frierson fits the prototype of the 2nd-level defender that modern/progressive DCs have incorporated into their schemes. Defenses that show a lot of 2-high presnap looks with matchup and combo coverage principles love having a hybrid guy who they can line up on the slot and use in a variety of ways. The Rams do this with Jalen Ramsey and the Saints with CJGJ.

I could see Frierson being highly coveted by some teams especially if he goes to the Senior Bowl and has a strong week.

Advertisement
What's so funny?
Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

you don't want bad linebacker play, obviously. i'm not saying we don't need to get better. but you only need to get up to average or decent to have a great defense if you're great at the other two levels. you need to look no further than alabama and clemson to see that. and if you have stud linebackers but average or worse DL or DBs, your defense isn't going to be very good -- denzel perryman and sean spence never played on great defenses here because we had bad coordinators, poor secondary and DL talent etc. this board is over obsessed with LB play
Clemson for sure. Alabama has had better than average or decent LB play. Don'ta Hightower, Rolando McClain, CJ Mosley, Reggie Ragland, Reuben Foster, and Rashaan Evans over the past decade. All of them, except Ragland, were 1st round picks. Their current LB Christian Harris is going to be a handful as well.

Advertisement
LMAO @ "linebacker play is overrated" being stated by fans of a team that gave up on average 175 yards per game on the ground.
Big drop-off from Quarterman/Pinckney to last year's crop.

Keontra's speed and Flagg's instincts should lead to improvement.

Big drop-off from Quarterman/Pinckney to last year's crop.

Keontra's speed and Flagg's instincts should lead to improvement.
Hope so, if Keontra is a sure tackler I really like that move. Still on the fence about MLB, gotta show me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That UNC game was the culmination of a season of McCloud running in the opposite direction of the play and Jennings side stepping the ball carrier to crash into a lineman. Epic stuff.

Advertisement
Back