The New Age Second-Level Defender

I was always worries about Him at S when I saw his tape but moving him closer he's a real stud at striker. Kid is an amazing player and possibly can move up those draft boards as the season progresses.

Advertisement
Corey Flagg seems like an amazing kid. But he is going to be hopeless if we start him against Bama at MLB. Freak athletes going against a kid who is battling uphill against his group of 5 level athleticism and size.

Not taking a Mike in the portal this off season is a huge misstep for Manny.
This is straight retarded.

Go take a lap then take another one cus the first one you did was ****ed up.

Need speed, fluidity, speed and more speed on defense. JJ’s philosophy still works, but need the right athletes for it. Safeties become LBs, Lbs become DEs and so on but need that range.
The spread makes this very evident. But need elite speed on the edge and they must be able to tackle in open space.

“Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.” – Bruce Lee

Semper Canes!!!

We know McCloud, Jennings, Steed and Flagg are not P5 capable LB'ers. Jury still out on Brooks and Cave, but obvious the staff has moved on. That said lets get off talking about these dudes. If we want to be elite at the second level then 85% of the reps and schemes need to go to Keontra, Chase, Jim Williams, Frierson, Amari Carter, Thomas Davis and Troutman. We can't keep running our old Buicks in NASCAR races.

Advertisement
Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.
We're here for it! Very apparent, too, that the "new age second level defenders" are what we are recruiting in 2022.

Lol he wasn’t hopeless against anyone this past year and he was overweight. Just say you wish manny upgraded the spot which is fair but you don’t have to make stuff up. **** if anything Bama is going to run right at him anyway. Their team is north and south this year
It's the headiness of Flagg that will make him look immensely faster than Jennings and Zach.

Versatility is becoming the most important trait in back seven defenders. With everyone spreading defenses out, linebackers need to be able to play in space. With more and more teams going no huddle, you can’t have situational guys subbing in and out of games anymore. Players like James Williams, Gilbert Frierson, Keontra Smith and Chase Smith are the future of defense. We joke about having the “All Striker” defense but that’s what’s happening in football now.

NASCAR package this year with Johnson in the middle and James Williams/Harvey on the edges.

Keontra in the middle

Blades Ivey Couch Stevenson Frierson Bolden and Hall on the back end.

Advertisement
Hopefully 44, 17 and 53 have a Rob Knowels type last run. Not great, but dependable. Especially 53..if he could give us a dependable pass rush, something like 5 sacks would be big from him imo
I don’t think 4-5 sacks and maybe 10-12 tfls from a rotational end is unrealistic. He’s probably not starting according to camp reports but he’ll get some snaps

Advertisement
I don’t think 4-5 sacks and maybe 10-12 tfls from a rotational end is unrealistic. He’s probably not starting according to camp reports but he’ll get some snaps
Hopefully Johnson holds down a spot and Harvey has the light come on. I’m just not sold on 12 tho..53 could very be playing starter level snap in a Trent Harris type role

Advertisement
Lol he wasn’t hopeless against anyone this past year and he was overweight. Just say you wish manny upgraded the spot which is fair but you don’t have to make stuff up. **** if anything Bama is going to run right at him anyway. Their team is north and south this year
I dont get the hate. put him at MLB, he has great instincts he just needs to learn and get in the weight room which now he has. i liked what i saw from him last year

Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.

d - do you think shoop and manny can outscheme people this year or will we be relying on the usual aggressive blitzing and soft zone defense behind it?

Advertisement
Back