The New Age Second-Level Defender

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.

Advertisement
Position-less football. Depth will not be an issue in the secondary. Anyone, plug & play.

Thick bois: James Williams, Keontre, Bolden, Amari, Chase Smith, Stevenson.

I always thought Gil had crazy potential. Not many people are as big/fast as he is. And quite honestly, he seems like a natural. I'm rooting for Gil.

Advertisement
Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.
in honesty, i'm afraid we don't showcase or create a scheme where williams is successful, i hope i'm wrong

The more "positionless" this defense becomes the better it will get.

Reminds me of the transition basketball made like a decade ago.

Advertisement
Corey Flagg seems like an amazing kid. But he is going to be hopeless if we start him against Bama at MLB. Freak athletes going against a kid who is battling uphill against his group of 5 level athleticism and size.

Not taking a Mike in the portal this off season is a huge misstep for Manny.
Lol he wasn’t hopeless against anyone this past year and he was overweight. Just say you wish manny upgraded the spot which is fair but you don’t have to make stuff up. **** if anything Bama is going to run right at him anyway. Their team is north and south this year

Advertisement
Flagg isn't fast but he can move. Here are some clips of him practicing at safety:

I know I come off as a Corey Flagg homer (because I am, Houston forever) however.. Even I the Flagg homer wanted manny to take a LB from the portal. He didn’t and could have. That tells me 1 of 2 things is going to happen. A. Manny is gambling Corey is gonna be a player and he proves why he’s coaching and everyone here isn’t or B. He was just mistaken. But shoop and everyone else love Corey as well so we’ll see.

Corey Flagg seems like an amazing kid. But he is going to be hopeless if we start him against Bama at MLB. Freak athletes going against a kid who is battling uphill against his group of 5 level athleticism and size.

Not taking a Mike in the portal this off season is a huge misstep for Manny.

He has elite instincts (hence his insane tackling #s in high school), but sometimes his lack of speed was apparent in some games. He dropped 20 lbs this offseason. I think he will be a gem at MLB

Frierson focused and back in shape I’m hoping? Need a big year and to test well to pull that off.

Advertisement
I know I come off as a Corey Flagg homer (because I am, Houston forever) however.. Even I the Flagg homer wanted manny to take a LB from the portal. He didn’t and could have. That tells me 1 of 2 things is going to happen. A. Manny is gambling Corey is gonna be a player and he proves why he’s coaching and everyone here isn’t or B. He was just mistaken. But shoop and everyone else love Corey as well so we’ll see.
Corey I think will be fine at LB for us… no he isn’t Perryman, Spence, or even McCarthy but kid is an instinctive LB who knows he needed this off-season to work on his quickness because he always seemed to be flowing in the right direction.

I mean didn't we tell u game after game Jennings and McCloud sucked. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out....we said countless times they were stuck in the mud.

Advertisement
Back