The New Age Second-Level Defender

Corey Flagg seems like an amazing kid. But he is going to be hopeless if we start him against Bama at MLB. Freak athletes going against a kid who is battling uphill against his group of 5 level athleticism and size.

Not taking a Mike in the portal this off season is a huge misstep for Manny.
I agree, that Vandy LBer seemed like a perfect fit. Maybe Flagg has shown something in the off-season but as of now he is more Romeo Davis than Denzel Perryman in my eyes.

Advertisement
Speed definitely not everything. Plenty of fast ninjas that don’t play for a reason. Folks talking like he hit his ceiling as a freshman smh
Exactly! Wow @ the hate on Flagg on here after playing as a TF (which he shouldnt have had to) and playing admirably. You guys say hes not P5 level but he **** sure held his own last season with little to no experience.

We dont need Flagg to be Ray Lewis or Jon Vilma or even Perryman. ****, if he can max out at being Buster Davis (FSU LB from early-mid 2000s; very underrated) that would put this defense over the top. You guys make it seem like you need a first round caliber MLB to have a great defense in todays era. Not accurate at all.

Bamas starting MLB was Dylan Moses on last years title team. He went undrafted. You dont need a star. Just need someone who wont F up and will make a tackle when its time. Let the athletes do the rest of the work. (KSmith, Frierson, TS, Bolden and Hall)

Here is some clips where Flagg supposedly graded out well vs Clemson. I'll let everyone watch and form their own opinion.

Sure, he graded out well. Didn't play well.

Its not the players fault. It's Mannys. It's his scheme and coaching. He's publicly said they don't teach the linebackers anything but find the fastest way to the ball carrier.

There's no schematic responsibilities or gap integrity concepts. Just occupy blocks and run around like children.

Manny tried to get a transfer linebacker and they all realized how bad that would have been and pulled out, or he didn't even look at all.

Until Manny starts holding players accountable, playing the best players and implements a sound scheme, nothing at all is going to change.

This is straight retarded.

Go take a lap then take another one cus the first one you did was ****ed up.
he had one solo tackle all year, calm down weirdo. This is the same fan base that has been pining for a "new age" MLB since Shaq hit his ceiling 4yrs ago. Now Manny is trotting out a redshirt freshman 8/10th's version of Shaq against Bama. How do you actually think that is gonna go?

Advertisement
d - do you think shoop and manny can outscheme people this year or will we be relying on the usual aggressive blitzing and soft zone defense behind it?
I think it will be a Manny defense with tweaks. Personnel and position coaching (particularly on DL) will be the difference between another Top 10-15 defense or a mediocre defense like last year.

The key positions IMO are LB and DE. Secondary should be good and our DTs will be fine. The big change I expect is more striker body types on the field at once.

I think it will be a Manny defense with tweaks. Personnel and position coaching (particularly on DL) will be the difference between another Top 10-15 defense or a mediocre defense last year.

The key positions IMO are LB and DE. Secondary should be good and our DTs will be fine. The big change I expect is more striker body types on the field at once.

Agree. If he's thinking about fielding a lot of striker body types on the field, I can see us struggling against physical teams that can run. Unfortunately, there are several on our schedule. I'm not convinced DT can take on blockers as you are and I agree with DE. 22/33 haven't shown much to this point. My point is that Manny is going to have to be creative due to these (potential) personnel issues.

I think it will be a Manny defense with tweaks. Personnel and position coaching (particularly on DL) will be the difference between another Top 10-15 defense or a mediocre defense last year.

You trust Flagg at MLB?

Advertisement
My point is that Manny is going to have to be creative due to these (potential) personnel issues.
I think you will see creativity, especially with versatile S/LB types on the field.

I'm more optimistic on DT after spring. Once we paired Jon Ford and Jordan Miller as starters, the first-team defense really clamped on the running game. Both of those guys have a ton of age and weight room time. Miller, in particular, has remade his body and Ford has always looked like a million bucks. Don't be surprised if we lean on those guys more against Bama than the Nesta/JHH upfield types.

I think you will see creativity, especially with versatile guys on the field.

I'm more optimistic on DT after spring. Once we paired Jon Ford and Jordan Miller as starters, the first-team defense really clamped on the running game. Both of those guys have a ton of age and weight room time. Miller, in particular, has remade his body and Ford always looked like a million bucks. Don't be surprised if we lean on those guys more against Bama than the Nesta/JHH upfield types.
I feel like I been hearing how much better Jon Ford looks on Hurricane boards for 12 years now.

Advertisement
McCloud is plenty "fast". He just has terrible instincts and is never in position. Spence wasnt much of a burner but if you are always in the right spot you can make plays

Nothing flashy.....not super bad not super good. Better then Jennings? Possibly but this year we will see
It was OK at best IMO, not really a highlight reel. The last minute of the film is him taking poor angles or reading the play wrong.

Advertisement
He is the best we have for now. I think he is a good football player who will be effective against the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams.

The question is whether he can handle Alabama backs who are bigger and faster than him. Only one way to find out.
Kind of my take as well, I feel bad for the kid he really needed 2 years of not playing to mold his body.

Most of the clips from the Clemson tape, Flagg is in the right position or making the correct read. Ironically, the best plays he makes on the tape, he's not the one making the tackle. He's doing a good job sealing off edges and funneling runners back towards the middle of the field where there's far less room to run. On a few of the plays where he actually makes the tackle, he was out of position and ended up having to make the play 7 or 8 yards downfield. It's why the stat book isn't the best way to judge linebacker play. Not sure he's the solution at MLB or just a stop gap because we have nobody else but he's way more effective than Jennings who is not only slow physically but usually late to react. I would feel more comfortable if they brought in a transfer MLB but otherwise Flagg is by far our best option of all the guys who have actually played. He's probably not going to make a ton of huge plays but he's also not going to hurt the defense by being out of position or making poor reads.

he had one solo tackle all year, calm down weirdo. This is the same fan base that has been pining for a "new age" MLB since Shaq hit his ceiling 4yrs ago. Now Manny is trotting out a redshirt freshman 8/10th's version of Shaq against Bama. How do you actually think that is gonna go?

Yawn

Only Miami fans wanna act like kids can't grow and develop.

The kid played sparingly but hey he's gonna die against Bama just cus.

Advertisement
Back