The New Age Second-Level Defender

Most of the clips from the Clemson tape, Flagg is in the right position or making the correct read. Ironically, the best plays he makes on the tape, he's not the one making the tackle. He's doing a good job sealing off edges and funneling runners back towards the middle of the field where there's far less room to run. On a few of the plays where he actually makes the tackle, he was out of position and ended up having to make the play 7 or 8 yards downfield. It's why the stat book isn't the best way to judge linebacker play. Not sure he's the solution at MLB or just a stop gap because we have nobody else but he's way more effective than Jennings who is not only slow physically but usually late to react. I would feel more comfortable if they brought in a transfer MLB but otherwise Flagg is by far our best option of all the guys who have actually played. He's probably not going to make a ton of huge plays but he's also not going to hurt the defense by being out of position or making poor reads.
I guess I saw that 2 minute clip different, he looked out of position the entire 2nd minute for the most part and also took some poor angles. In the first minute I liked some of the plays where he turns Lawrence back inside and then another where he show good closing speed on the rollout pass. Like I have said, the kid just physically does not look the part yet and if he continues making bad reads/slow diagnosis that is a bad combination.
But it's a year later so he is a year older and we have new coaches, maybe he will make the jump we need @ MLB, we will know quickly when he gets a day full of 230 pound Bama backs coming straight at him. **** of a Game 1 test.

Advertisement
I mean didn't we tell u game after game Jennings and McCloud sucked. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out....we said countless times they were stuck in the mud.
Nobody ever defended our LB play. When people were bagging on Shaq and Pinck, I warned them they didn’t know how good they had it.

Sure, he graded out well. Didn't play well.

Its not the players fault. It's Mannys. It's his scheme and coaching. He's publicly said they don't teach the linebackers anything but find the fastest way to the ball carrier.

There's no schematic responsibilities or gap integrity concepts. Just occupy blocks and run around like children.

Manny tried to get a transfer linebacker and they all realized how bad that would have been and pulled out, or he didn't even look at all.

Until Manny starts holding players accountable, playing the best players and implements a sound scheme, nothing at all is going to change.
I wonder if Manny is aware of the flaws in his scheme, and if he is, what steps are being taken to correct them?

Do you have a link to what he said about the LBs?

He is the best we have for now. I think he is a good football player who will be effective against the middle-of-the-pack ACC teams.

The question is whether he can handle Alabama backs who are bigger and faster than him. Only one way to find out.
Arnold Schwarzenegger No GIF

Advertisement
Nobody ever defended our LB play. When people were bagging on Shaq and Pinck, I warned them they didn’t know how good they had it.
Do you think the staff has a problem evaluating LBs? It seems like we haven't hit on the position since '16.

Advertisement
How is Huff not ready to start by year 3? Wasn't Cave the more immediate impact player coming out of HS? Is Brooks still walking around in a boot? Just criminal development and recruiting here for 5yrs.

Bill O'Brien must be salivating to be on national tv come Sept. 4

How is Huff not ready to start by year 3? Wasn't Cave the more immediate impact player coming out of HS? Is Brooks still walking around in a boot? Just criminal development and recruiting here for 5yrs.

Bill O'Brien must be salivating to be on national tv come Sept. 4
Pretty bad, seems like we were taking HS edge guys that were too skinny and trying to make them inside backers. The thing is you don't need a 6'2, 250pound, 4.4 Devin white clone. You just need a decent sized athlete that can diagnose plays and make sure tacklers. They have bombed thus far at finding that.

The big issue is that we aren't getting much from the Classes of '17 and '18. Some of that is injury (especially Steed), some is poor decisionmaking from Manny. We should've taken multiple guys in '18, not just a DE like Joyner.

I like the Huff/Brooks/Cave takes because you are betting on athleticism and trends in the game. But they haven't had the luxury of developing behind solid starters.

With Brooks, he just had another procedure on his foot and is still in a boot. He needs to focus on getting healthy. The freakish athleticism is essential to his projection.

Advertisement
for all the discussion in this thread about how flagg is going to look against bama, the fact of the matter is that if our DL can't beat their OL and our secondary can't cover their WRs, how our MLB plays is not going to matter at all.

linebacker play is the least important level of the defense in today's game without question. putting more DBs on the field and kicking *** at the LOS is the name of the game -- conceptually we're headed in the right direction w/ the way the defensive roster is being constructed. how bubba bolden, gurvan hall, jahfari harvey and cam williams play this year is 100 times more important than how corey flagg plays.

for all the discussion in this thread about how flagg is going to look against bama, the fact of the matter is that if our DL can't beat their OL and our secondary can't cover their WRs, how our MLB plays is not going to matter at all.

linebacker play is the least important level of the defense in today's game without question. putting more DBs on the field and kicking *** at the LOS is the name of the game -- conceptually we're headed in the right direction w/ the way the defensive roster is being constructed. how bubba bolden, gurvan hall, jahfari harvey and cam williams play this year is 100 times more important than how corey flagg plays.
insane hot take. absolutely nothing has changed with the Mike being the QB of the defense. Sean Spence & Jon Beason have echoed as much recently on podcasts with what Miami's troubles were last year.

Linebacker play as bad as 2020 makes the safeties jobs near impossible

We really missed Shaq and Pink last year. We went from 10th to 77th in yards per rush defense.

Advertisement
Yawn

Only Miami fans wanna act like kids can't grow and develop.

The kid played sparingly but hey he's gonna die against Bama just cus.
he didn't play sparingly.. pretty much split snaps starting middle of the season.

I think you will see creativity, especially with versatile S/LB types on the field.

I'm more optimistic on DT after spring. Once we paired Jon Ford and Jordan Miller as starters, the first-team defense really clamped on the running game. Both of those guys have a ton of age and weight room time. Miller, in particular, has remade his body and Ford has always looked like a million bucks. Don't be surprised if we lean on those guys more against Bama than the Nesta/JHH upfield types.
I am guilty as a member of the Jordan Miller fanclub…hope he has big yr

We really missed Shaq and Pink last year. We went from 10th to 77th in yards per rush defense.
you don't want bad linebacker play, obviously. i'm not saying we don't need to get better. but you only need to get up to average or decent to have a great defense if you're great at the other two levels. you need to look no further than alabama and clemson to see that. and if you have stud linebackers but average or worse DL or DBs, your defense isn't going to be very good -- denzel perryman and sean spence never played on great defenses here because we had bad coordinators, poor secondary and DL talent etc. this board is over obsessed with LB play

Advertisement
Back