The New Age Second-Level Defender

That UNC game was the culmination of a season of McCloud running in the opposite direction of the play and Jennings side stepping the ball carrier to crash into a lineman. Epic stuff.
I mean it was bound to happen. UNC offensive coaches must have seen them get burned with the counter and said “fugggg it ima run it till they stop it”…. Spoiler alert we never did

Advertisement
Just heard that an NFC scout has Gilbert Frierson rated in the 3rd-4th round headed into the season. The scout called Frierson the "New Age Second Level Defender."

That got me thinking. Last year's LBs were Zack McCloud and Bradley Jennings. McCloud is a DL and Jennings moves like one. It's no wonder we looked stuck in the mud.

This year's LBs coming out of spring are Keontra Smith and Corey Flagg, both of whom have safety experience in high school. Frierson is set at striker, with Amari Carter (converted safety) behind him. Then you add James Williams and Chase Smith, who are prototypical modern chess pieces with length, movement, instincts and wiry strength.

Bob Shoop and Manny will cook up some interesting lineups next year. Expect to see 7 DB types on the field at once.
It's back to the future, I think. Jimmy Johnson recruited safeties to play LB 30+ years ago.

Advertisement
With a big year Frierson can definitely climb higher than the 3rd or 4th round. He's my favorite player on this defense.

Hey Gil....I'm looking for you to have a big game against Bama.

Advertisement
This ks correct for so many reasons. The LB position is so different from End.
If Manny ran a 3-4, it would be one thing. You can make those guys OLB/EDGE in that system. But he doesn't. I'm not saying it's an impossible conversion, and it's great to get as many nice athletes as you can to campus. But if you're gonna take these guys as developmental projects, it should be in *addition* to your regular class of ILB types.

huge problem and ive been saying it since mannny got here.
Even with this class and the transfer portal current situation i dont like the evals at this point
Who would you be targeting in this class that they didn’t?

If Manny ran a 3-4, it would be one thing. You can make those guys OLB/EDGE in that system. But he doesn't. I'm not saying it's an impossible conversion, and it's great to get as many nice athletes as you can to campus. But if you're gonna take these guys as developmental projects, it should be in *addition* to your regular class of ILB types.
All you needed to say.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back