The case for Tom Herman as HC (Please don't merge)

People are going to bring up a lot of names just to talk about their favorites. That’s just what’s going to happen with the current situation as is. Most of us know they’re not hiring a number of the coaches we’d want. Just skip the threads dedicated to coaches you don’t want to read about if it bothers you.
That would be like responding to people constantly you don't like while constantly saying how much you don't like them while responding to them instead of just using the Ignore feature.... People just like conflict more than the actual subject matter....
sup wassup GIF

Advertisement
Random thought, would it even be possible to hire Herman at this point? He has a termination contract with Texas that pays him $15m over 3 years, and I believe it is one of those "you cannot have an on the field coaching job" in order to continue receiving, or it is subtracted from your new coaching salary (same as Manny has I believe?).

So with that said, it would seem like he would have to not care about the money as much to come at this stage? What would the contract need to look like for him to come and is that feasible given our 'money situation'?
If that doesn't make sense it is because I'm hopped up on Mucinex and Vicks Vaporub

Tom Herman is not an Al Golden. All of these G5 options are likely to be.
If you want Mark Richt to be your floor, you hire a former P5 upper tier coach.

This is an underrated point.

All the names mentioned most in our coach wish list are high floor guys.

Cristobal, Freeze, Kiffin, Herman, Stoops, Campbell, Fickel etc. Pony up the cash and get them to interview. Make them here you out. Don’t assume any candidate is uninterested. All these guys resumes completely **** on the bums we have hired except Richt. Even with his unqualified son, unwise choice to be oc, and suffering early stages Parkinson’s, he still made us respectable. Think about that. A little competence gets solid results here.

None of these guys would flop. They would make our floor 9 wins and often get 10 or 11. Any of them makes us a solid top 10 team.

The real question is who can get us competitive with the top 5? That is what the interview process is really for if we actually go for a solid proven coach.

Random thought, would it even be possible to hire Herman at this point? He has a termination contract with Texas that pays him $15m over 3 years, and I believe it is one of those "you cannot have an on the field coaching job" in order to continue receiving, or it is subtracted from your new coaching salary (same as Manny has I believe?).

So with that said, it would seem like he would have to not care about the money as much to come at this stage? What would the contract need to look like for him to come and is that feasible given our 'money situation'?
If that doesn't make sense it is because I'm hopped up on Mucinex and Vicks Vaporub
Its been said and posted here the NFL is almost 100% football, no boosters, recruiting HS kids, parents, or school administration. Would not suprise me if Herman wanted an NFL opportunity and with the UT buyout is starting at the bottom, offensive analyst. He is smart, young enough, and can afford to be patient and learn. If his buyout is reduced by any new coaching salary, he could possibly take an NFL QB coaching job and still collect millions.

Advertisement

If he'd rather bank $5m a year and be an analyst at the Chicago Bears than be the Head Coach of the Miami Hurricanes then he's made our decision for us.

The next guy has to have fire - he's got a lot of cultural changes to make, along with the coaching and recruiting to go along with it. This won't be an easy job.

Cristobal, Freeze, Kiffin, Herman, Stoops, Campbell, Fickel etc. Pony up the cash and get them to interview. Make them here you out. Don’t assume any candidate is uninterested. All these guys resumes completely **** on the bums we have hired except Richt. Even with his unqualified son, unwise choice to be oc, and suffering early stages Parkinson’s, he still made us respectable. Think about that. A little competence gets solid results here.

None of these guys would flop. They would make our floor 9 wins and often get 10 or 11. Any of them makes us a solid top 10 team.

The real question is who can get us competitive with the top 5? That is what the interview process is really for if we actually go for a solid proven coach.
Nah, at this point just stop the ******* bleeding.

The way you **** this hire up is by being the smartest guy in the room trying to find the next G5 Wonderkid.

Just bring someone in that brings us back to (and keeps us) relevance. Days of lamenting that the next HC can only get us ten wins and the occasional ACC Championship would be manna from heaven after the last two decades.

I agree until the last point. I don’t think Miami is in a position to find a top 5 winning coach. What we need is someone that can consistantly win the division and bowl games. Once that hurdle is achieved we can adjust expectations going forward.
I think the people you list are capable of that.

Advertisement
Who wouldn’t collect 5m while learning in the NFL? We literally have a DC on staff not acting as a DC to collect buyout money.

Herman was a very underwhelming coach at UT; All sizzle, no steak. Sark has been a huge upgrade. He could recruit but they couldn't develop talent. Ask yourself why someone like Gus Malzahan immediately got a "desirable" HC gig, and Herman is basically an intern for the Chicago Bears and that phone isn't ringing anytime soon?
Herman took over a Texas program that had 3 straight losing seasons under Strong. Complete rebuild job. Sark inherited a much better room than Herman. (who had similar winning % at UT as Sark currently) Apples to oranges.

Malzahan had great record at Auburn (including NC game appereance) but was fired bc, well.. Auburn. Same program that fired Chizik a year after winning the NC. He was hired at UCF. Desirable or not, it's not even a P5 job.

Herman might have had similar offers. None of us know. Your stats (while cherry picked) are all valid. Once again, it was a rebuild. Can't crown him but can't say Sark is a better hire.. just more likeable, perhaps.

Last edited:
Some good points on Herman, but unfortunately Flake James makes the decision and he's proven himself to be inept. No matter how good Herman or Stoops or Clawson or any of these coaching candidates may be, I look for Flake to hire a dud.

Best case scenario is Flake gets fired and then a real AD makes the decision on a new coach.

Advertisement
I agree until the last point. I don’t think Miami is in a position to find a top 5 winning coach. What we need is someone that can consistantly win the division and bowl games. Once that hurdle is achieved we can adjust expectations going forward.
I think the people you list are capable of that.

Maybe, maybe not.

I want a guy who can make us competitive at that level, even if we don’t have the juice to win the playoffs.

Oklahoma is top 5 and we can reach that level. I think we can be better than them because of defense.

Top 3 is an uphill climb, no doubt.

Nah, at this point just stop the ******* bleeding.

The way you **** this hire up is by being the smartest guy in the room trying to find the next G5 Wonderkid.

Just bring someone in that brings us back to (and keeps us) relevance. Days of lamenting that the next HC can only get us ten wins and the occasional ACC Championship would be manna from heaven after the last two decades.

Exactly.

There are too many high floor, solid power 5 head coaches to get suckered into betting on whether or not a g5 guy is ready for the jump.

Ante up.

Advertisement
If Herman is indeed on Texas contract for 2 more years at $5mil each and collecting an NFL analyst income, this entire thread is pointless... No one would leave that situation, unless it was a dream job situation.. I'm willing to bet UM isn't Herman's dream job... but as usual, we'll continue to mention his name every coaching thread for the next 6months for no reason....

If Herman is indeed on Texas contract for 2 more years at $5mil each and collecting an NFL analyst income, this entire thread is pointless... No one would leave that situation, unless it was a dream job situation.. I'm willing to bet UM isn't Herman's dream job... but as usual, we'll continue to mention his name every coaching thread for the next 6months for no reason....

That's a good point that someone brought up to me before. Willie Taggart got the FAU job for less money than his buyout at FSU, and FSU is still on the hook for paying the differential. I believe per buyout agreement per another poster you have to at least attempt a new HC gig to qualify for buyout $. Plus, 3 years out of an HC job will be hard to come back from. His best bet then will be coordinator somewhere, so that's something to consider.

I am not so sure Texas and its unique problems are that unlike Miami's. I question whether or not Herman would take the Miami job because of his experience with Texas. Miami has less talent than they think they have and its going to be another short run way for the next coach. Its going to take someone looking for his first massive paycheck or some stone cold killer who thinks he cant lose or someone who just wants to be at Miami bad.

Advertisement
Back