The case for Tom Herman as HC (Please don't merge)

That's a good point that someone brought up to me before. Willie Taggart got the FAU job for less money than his buyout at FSU, and FSU is still on the hook for paying the differential. I believe per buyout agreement per another poster you have to at least attempt a new HC gig to qualify for buyout $. Plus, 3 years out of an HC job will be hard to come back from. His best bet then will be coordinator somewhere, so that's something to consider.
depends if he want's to relax for 2 more years making great money, or get right back into the insanity?? maybe depends how ****ed he is at Texas and wants them to pay every cent of the buyout, to to spite them... Not sure he's too worried about being an attractive name for a big OC gig in 2years or even a mid tier HC job...

Advertisement
Random thought, would it even be possible to hire Herman at this point? He has a termination contract with Texas that pays him $15m over 3 years, and I believe it is one of those "you cannot have an on the field coaching job" in order to continue receiving, or it is subtracted from your new coaching salary (same as Manny has I believe?).

So with that said, it would seem like he would have to not care about the money as much to come at this stage? What would the contract need to look like for him to come and is that feasible given our 'money situation'?
If that doesn't make sense it is because I'm hopped up on Mucinex and Vicks Vaporub
Depends in his buyout clauses with Texas. If Texas deducts his new coaching job salary from his buyout he could hypotheticaly accept $3M each for two years from Miami, Texas pays $2M, and Miami ups his salary $5-6M after the Texas buyout is paid off. This assumes he wants another college HC gig and see possibilities at Miami.

Or he continues to collect from Texas while learning the NFL in his analyst role. This may depend on the Bears coaching situation. Herman may need to find another job if Nagy and his staff are terminated. If that happened and no other NFL option was available, HC at The U might be viable for him.

Last edited:
depends if he want's to relax for 2 more years making great money, or get right back into the insanity?? maybe depends how ****ed he is at Texas and wants them to pay every cent of the buyout, to to spite them... Not sure he's too worried about being an attractive name for a big OC gig in 2years or even a mid tier HC job...

Yeah, I agree. It's either how bad he wants it or how bad does he hate UT. I am not sure either if he wants to be an HC. Just speculating on my part if he wants to fall back to an OC position after being an HC and all.

Every other coach I want also has his what IF

Mark Stoops- Does he want to leave UK where he banks 5M a year?
Luke Fickell- Would he coach outside of Ohio?
Mario Cristobal- Leave being comfortable at Oregon to come here? Making bank, resources, and weak conference. He can hold on to that gig for a while.
Hugh Freeze- Will Miami even call him...
Lane Kiffin- Would he pull another Tenessee move and up and leave to Miami.

Anyways, I'll be happy if we overcome the what IF for any one of these coaches.

Yeah, I agree. It's either how bad he wants it or how bad does he hate UT. I am not sure either if he wants to be an HC. Just speculating on my part if he wants to fall back to an OC position after being an HC and all.

Mark Stoops- Does he want to leave UK where he banks 5M a year?
Luke Fickell- Would he coach outside of Ohio?
Mario Cristobal- Leave being comfortable at Oregon to come here? Making bank, resources, and weak conference. He can hold on to that gig for a while.
Hugh Freeze- Will Miami even call him...
Lane Kiffin- Would he pull another Tenessee move and up and leave to Miami.

Agree with the list and would add Clawson.

Mark Stoops- Does he want to leave UK where he banks 5M a year? No
Luke Fickell- Would he coach outside of Ohio? No
Mario Cristobal- Leave being comfortable at Oregon to come here? Making bank, resources, and weak conference. He can hold on to that gig for a while. If his wife forces him
Hugh Freeze- Will Miami even call him... no
Lane Kiffin- Would he pull another Tenessee move and up and leave to Miami. No

Advertisement
Herman took over a Texas program that had 3 straight losing seasons under Strong. Complete rebuild job. Sark inherited a much better room than Herman. (who had similar winning % at UT as Sark currently) Apples to oranges.

Malzahan had great record at Auburn (including NC game appereance) but was fired bc, well.. Auburn. Same program that fired Chizik a year after winning the NC. He was hired at UCF. Desirable or not, it's not even a P5 job.

Herman might have had similar offers. None of us know. Your stats (while cherry picked) are all valid. Once again, it was a rebuild. Can't crown him but can't say Sark is a better hire.. just more likeable, perhaps.
Gene didn’t win a title, he rode cam like o rode burrow. He got fired frI’m, auburn Bc it was obvious he was trash

Gene didn’t win a title, he rode cam like o rode burrow. He got fired frI’m, auburn Bc it was obvious he was trash
You can’t make a point after starting out with a lie. He took over a 5-7 program & won a national title in year 3. Regardless of how, those are the facts. He might have been trash.. but he still has a ring. (like Coach O)

You can’t make a point after starting out with a lie. He took over a 5-7 program & won a national title in year 3. Regardless of how, those are the facts. He might have been trash.. but he still has a ring. (like Coach O)
Again you didn’t read, I said cam won him that title. Dude was hot trash outside of cam newton

Again you didn’t read, I said cam won him that title. Dude was hot trash outside of cam newton
You said “Gene didn’t win a title”.. and then listed the reason why he won the title. A2D.

I think your point was auburn won the title despite being limited by limited by Chizik’s coRching. Fair enough. Mine was firing a coach a year after winning a NC is unprecedented. (Not Chizik’s ability)

Advertisement
Talk to anybody in the know in Austin — known cokehead and wild-animal swinger with his wife.

Probably a fun dude to hang out with, but this is literally the last guy who should be anywhere where South Beach and the University of Miami. He couldn't even handle the rigors of Austin's night life.

Hard, hard, hard pass.
What!!??

Perfect fit.

Tell us moar!

Advertisement
Talk to anybody in the know in Austin — known cokehead and wild-animal swinger with his wife.

Probably a fun dude to hang out with, but this is literally the last guy who should be anywhere where South Beach and the University of Miami. He couldn't even handle the rigors of Austin's night life.

Hard, hard, hard pass.
Where do I apply for a position?

Alonzo Highsmith is the guy for me. I listened to him speak with coach Hayes on youtube, and he knows what's up. The U is a professional team in CFB and should run like one. Our fans aren't alums, but rather ex-players who played against one another in high school, ex-classmates of players, fans of the U and what it stood for, or just locals wanting these kids to succeed and put the city on the map. It's a no-brainer for me.
We agree on this. I was sold on Zo listening to him on coach Hayes and the OBB pod. Give him the power that ER doesn’t have.

We agree on this. I was sold on Zo listening to him on coach Hayes and the OBB pod. Give him the power that ER doesn’t have.
Idk, that podcast scared me a bit with Zo. He was talking about running the ball 30 times a game and just pounding teams into submission on the ground.

Just don't see that happening with the lineman that we have access to down here.

Advertisement
Idk, that podcast scared me a bit with Zo. He was talking about running the ball 30 times a game and just pounding teams into submission on the ground.

Just don't see that happening with the lineman that we have access to down here.
He wasn’t saying UM should be running the ball 30 times a game. He was talking about the pendulum of college football eventually swinging back from the current finesse passing game to a tougher more hard nosed brand of football.

He said teams aren’t build to withstand being pounded like that anymore, and the players aren’t used to having to square up 30 times a game and take down a back whose trying to flatten them… and they won’t want to. Which makes sense.

He wasn’t saying UM should be running the ball 30 times a game. He was talking about the pendulum of college football eventually swinging back from the current finesse passing game to a tougher more hard nosed brand of football.

He said teams aren’t build to withstand being pounded like that anymore, and the players aren’t used to having to square up 30 times a game and take down a back whose trying to flatten them… and they won’t want to. Which makes sense.
Yep, the game has swung too far into the finesse side of things.

IF you have a defence that can keep you in games, an offence that looks to pound the ball will break modern defences by the 4Q. They don't have the size or the physicality anymore to stand up to it.

**** you see it in the NFL with Henry - those guys don't want to tackle him.

Yep, the game has swung too far into the finesse side of things.

IF you have a defence that can keep you in games, an offence that looks to pound the ball will break modern defences by the 4Q. They don't have the size or the physicality anymore to stand up to it.

**** you see it in the NFL with Henry - those guys don't want to tackle him.
Just gotta make sure that run heavy offense is able to keep up with the other team’s spread.

Advertisement
Back