The case for Tom Herman as HC (Please don't merge)

Juanka

TRANQUILO Y TROPICAL
Premium
Unless Manny Diaz somehow miraculously wins out and regains the locker room, we will be looking for a new HC soon.

Miami can't take a chance on a first-time HC again. Shannon and Diaz were first-time head coaches who have had some of the least success we have seen in Miami since the 70s. As bad as Golden was, he had HC experience and technically won the coastal one year. HC experience matters, and even more so in a must-win now city like Miami. Mark Richt is the closest we can say to bringing the U back, and I for one am forever grateful he ended that losing streak against FSU, gave us our first bowl win in forever, donated 1M of his own $ for an IPF, and that ND game that had me the most excited I have been in forever about Miami football. He is a gentleman and scholar.

Tom Herman
texas-780x405.jpg

It's been a long time since we have experienced good football in Miami. It's been miss hire after miss hire, and we are on the brink of another HC firing. We need someone who knows what they're are doing and brings some respect back that U we all know and love. A coaching option for me is Tom Herman, why?

Tom Hermans resume -

1 - He has a winning record with a .711 winning percentage. Miami since 06 has a record of 113-98.
2 - Since being a HC he has posted 5-0 in bowl games. Miami is 1-10 in their last 11 bowl games.
3 - He recruited two of the top 3 players ever to commit to UH. In UT he recruited two top 3 classes and a top 10 class. All this while being in a state that has the most P5 schools, and that is heavily recruited on a national level.
4 - He has identified and recruited some of the best CFB QBs in his time as an OC/HC.
5 - Won the AAC conference championship and took UT to their first conference title game since 09. Miami has been to the ACC championship once, and we have never won.
6 - Signature wins against multiple top 11 opponents including Oklahoma #3 twice, Louisville #3, Utah #11, FSU #9, and UGA #6. He also has a winning record against ranked opponents. Aside from ND and WV what other signature wins can we point to? I know we beat a ranked UVA team, but that's nothing to slide for.
7 - His offenses have consistently ranked in the top 30 as OC/HC.
8- Had the most players drafted in UT since 2015, and has developed talent everywhere he has gone.

His resume is very telling of a good coach, IMO.

He checks a lot of the boxes I imagine we would want as a coach. Is he a Nick Saban? No. There is only one Nick Saban. He is however one of the few realistic options that holds no buyouts with a clean record (Zach Smith BS aside) A competent coach with a winning record who can win the coastal on a consistent basis, and give us more games like ND 2017 to enjoy and talk about.

Advertisement
Talk to anybody in the know in Austin — known cokehead and wild-animal swinger with his wife.

Probably a fun dude to hang out with, but this is literally the last guy who should be anywhere where South Beach and the University of Miami. He couldn't even handle the rigors of Austin's night life.

Hard, hard, hard pass.

Talk to anybody in the know in Austin — known cokehead and wild-animal swinger with his wife.

Probably a fun dude to hang out with, but this is literally the last guy who should be anywhere where South Beach and the University of Miami. He couldn't even handle the rigors of Austin's night life.

Hard, hard, hard pass.
Don’t care about his personal life just ducking win football games. And that he does He ******* WINS

Advertisement

Hard, hard, hard pass.
I don't know, so I'm asking, did it affect his ability to do his job and was he ever arrested?

I see he is a Mensa member according to wiki and now lives in Chicago...

He is however one of the few realistic options that holds no buyouts with a clean record (Zach Smith BS aside) A competent coach with a winning record who can win the coastal on a consistent basis, and give us more games like ND 2017 to enjoy and talk about.
An understated point that I am sure carries weight with the University.

However, we need a new AD to make this decision. With Blake in charge it doesn't matter who gets hired. They are immediately suspect.

Bring me somebody who knows what a real football coach looks like and I will start to believe. And, if this new AD thinks Herman is the answer, then I am all in and all aboard the bandwagon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don’t care about his personal life just ducking win football games. And that he does He ******* WINS

Yeah, if he did that he was just "f**king winning" football games, he'd still have his dream job in Austin and not some bullish*t gig in Chicago with the Bears, so he can still collect a severance.

15-8 the past two seasons and finished third in the division each year—8-3 after 7-3 after his one 10-4 season. Same at Houston—13-1 with Tony Levine's Kevin Sumlin-built squad and went 9-3 following year.

Herman does get his teams up for bowl games—probably because he's yakked up and ready for New Years soirees.

I couldn't care less what dude does in his spare time, but his extracurricular life 10000% impacted his efforts at UT.

Spent my last seven years working with some big brands in Austin and folks with deep ties to the program. This dude is the last thing Miami needs.

I'll take Mark Stoops in Coral Gables 100000% over Tom Herman, thanks.

I would be happy with a Tom Herman hire. Yeah he "failed" at Texas but honestly that's such a weird program. It's become the sunken place of college football. Yes they have money and resources but the outside influences you have to deal with (aka nosey boosters) would make it hard for anyone to succeed there. Fans are already starting to call for Sark's head. Remember Nick Saban turned UT down years ago despite them being ready to back up a Brinks truck to his house. Even the CFB GOAT HC realized it wasn't worth it.

I just moved to Elmhurst, IL (northwest Chicago suburb), if someone can tell me exactly where Herman lives here I'll go stand outside his house with a "come coach at Miami" sign to entice him.

Yeah, if he did that he was just "f**king winning" football games, he'd still have his dream job in Austin and not some bullish*t gig in Chicago with the Bears, so he can still collect a severance.

15-8 the past two seasons and finished third in the division each year—8-3 after 7-3 after his one 10-4 season. Same at Houston—13-1 with Tony Levine's Kevin Sumlin-built squad and went 9-3 following year.

Herman does get his teams up for bowl games—probably because he's yakked up and ready for New Years soirees.

I couldn't care less what dude does in his spare time, but his extracurricular life 10000% impacted his efforts at UT.

Spent my last seven years working with some big brands in Austin and folks with deep ties to the program. This dude is the last thing Miami needs.

I'll take Mark Stoops in Coral Gables 100000% over Tom Herman, thanks.
Texas has a somewhat similar problem to Miami in terms of expectations. In the past because of its location in a fertile recruiting area many people assumed its easy to win in Miami whereas at Texas the rich alumni and boosters think that simply throwing money at something will fix all of their problems. Being a coach at UT is probably exhausting as f**k so it's no wonder he was worn down. Imagine being hired as the ceo of a company that's on the verge of financial ruin/collapse with an incompetent board of directors and being expected to bring the company back in the black with little real help, just a bunch of old outta touch dudes constantly mettling and getting in the way.

Advertisement

Hard, hard, hard pass.
Two words: culture....fit

I would be happy with a Tom Herman hire. Yeah he "failed" at Texas but honestly that's such a weird program. It's become the sunken place of college football. Yes they have money and resources but the outside influences you have to deal with (aka nosey boosters) would make it hard for anyone to succeed there. Fans are already starting to call for Sark's head. Remember Nick Saban turned UT down years ago despite them being ready to back up a Brinks truck to his house. Even the CFB GOAT HC realized it wasn't worth it.

I just moved to Elmhurst, IL (northwest Chicago suburb), if someone can tell me exactly where Herman lives here I'll go stand outside his house with a "come coach at Miami" sign to entice him.
As weird as us with exceptionally less money?

Advertisement
An understated point that I am sure carries weight with the University.

However, we need a new AD to make this decision. With Blake in charge it doesn't matter who gets hired. They are immediately suspect.

Bring me somebody who knows what a real football coach looks like and I will start to believe. And, if this new AD thinks Herman is the answer then I am all in and all aboard the bandwagon.

Alonzo Highsmith is the guy for me. I listened to him speak with coach Hayes on youtube, and he knows what's up. The U is a professional team in CFB and should run like one. Our fans aren't alums, but rather ex-players who played against one another in high school, ex-classmates of players, fans of the U and what it stood for, or just locals wanting these kids to succeed and put the city on the map. It's a no-brainer for me.

Advertisement
Back