The case for Tom Herman as HC (Please don't merge)

Threads like these show how disconnected some of y'all are...

Miami would NEVER hire--much less interview--this guy, no matter how well he can coach football.

Way too many question-marks and presents himself as a tremendous liability. Miami has less-than-zero tolerance for risk.

That said, if the point of this thread is to carry on about guys who would never get hired here, i'll politely excuse myself..

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

it's obvious you don't understand the culture on campus, but do you girlfriend...

right, read post #43 again.

I'm not an insider by any means but i've spent a lot of time on campus and know the culture well..

Miami leadership simply thinks they're better than someone like him, Meyer, Freeze, Kiffin, etc.. They wouldn't want to be associated with or allow any of them to represent the university.

They only hope would be a very strong AD, but Miami is opposed to that as well and Blake is there for a reason. These folk like control and aren't fond of the image our football program represents. Some real holier than thou muthafcukers!
People are going to bring up a lot of names just to talk about their favorites. That’s just what’s going to happen with the current situation as is. Most of us know they’re not hiring a number of the coaches we’d want. Just skip the threads dedicated to coaches you don’t want to read about if it bothers you.

Advertisement
Unless Manny Diaz somehow miraculously wins out and regains the locker room, we will be looking for a new HC soon.

Miami can't take a chance on a first-time HC again. Shannon and Diaz were first-time head coaches who have had some of the least success we have seen in Miami since the 70s. As bad as Golden was, he had HC experience and technically won the coastal one year. HC experience matters, and even more so in a must-win now city like Miami. Mark Richt is the closest we can say to bringing the U back, and I for one am forever grateful he ended that losing streak against FSU, gave us our first bowl win in forever, donated 1M of his own $ for an IPF, and that ND game that had me the most excited I have been in forever about Miami football. He is a gentleman and scholar.

Tom Herman
texas-780x405.jpg

It's been a long time since we have experienced good football in Miami. It's been miss hire after miss hire, and we are on the brink of another HC firing. We need someone who knows what they're are doing and brings some respect back that U we all know and love. A coaching option for me is Tom Herman, why?

Tom Hermans resume -

1 - He has a winning record with a .711 winning percentage. Miami since 06 has a record of 113-98.
2 - Since being a HC he has posted 5-0 in bowl games. Miami is 1-10 in their last 11 bowl games.
3 - He recruited two of the top 3 players ever to commit to UH. In UT he recruited two top 3 classes and a top 10 class. All this while being in a state that has the most P5 schools, and that is heavily recruited on a national level.
4 - He has identified and recruited some of the best CFB QBs in his time as an OC/HC.
5 - Won the AAC conference championship and took UT to their first conference title game since 09. Miami has been to the ACC championship once, and we have never won.
6 - Signature wins against multiple top 11 opponents including Oklahoma #3 twice, Louisville #3, Utah #11, FSU #9, and UGA #6. He also has a winning record against ranked opponents. Aside from ND and WV what other signature wins can we point to? I know we beat a ranked UVA team, but that's nothing to slide for.
7 - His offenses have consistently ranked in the top 30 as OC/HC.
8- Had the most players drafted in UT since 2015, and has developed talent everywhere he has gone.

His resume is very telling of a good coach, IMO.

He checks a lot of the boxes I imagine we would want as a coach. Is he a Nick Saban? No. There is only one Nick Saban. He is however one of the few realistic options that holds no buyouts with a clean record (Zach Smith BS aside) A competent coach with a winning record who can win the coastal on a consistent basis, and give us more games like ND 2017 to enjoy and talk about.
Wouldn’t mind him at all. I think he would come with a little chip on his shoulders and something to prove.

Talk to anybody in the know in Austin — known cokehead and wild-animal swinger with his wife.

Probably a fun dude to hang out with, but this is literally the last guy who should be anywhere where South Beach and the University of Miami. He couldn't even handle the rigors of Austin's night life.

Hard, hard, hard pass.
Your post is right on point except for one thing - Austin is a wild town, dude. If you haven't been there in a while, you might not know, but Austin has become Escape From New York crazy. I'll just leave it at that.

Advertisement
Any on the field concerns about Herman and his ability to help right the ship? Don't care about his marital affairs.

Advertisement
According to this Herman is **** and sounds exactly like a video canes fans would make after he's been here 2 years and we already want him out:

But based on this I'd take him:

Just read through Smith's allegations: Basically, Tom Herman was unfaithful to his wife, a long time ago. Smith thinks this is the same as beating your wife. He's mad that he got ridiculed & Herman barely got a mention. That's it.

Did find this exchange funny. SHADE

Advertisement
Threads like these show how disconnected some of y'all are...

Miami would NEVER hire--much less interview--this guy, no matter how well he can coach football.

Way too many question-marks and presents himself as a tremendous liability. Miami has less-than-zero tolerance for risk.

That said, if the point of this thread is to carry on about guys who would never get hired here, i'll politely excuse myself..
And this is why we are the bottom feeders of college football. If you don’t think that Schnelly, Jimmy, and Erickson had skeletons you haven’t been paying attention. Guarantee you Saban and Dabo have ****ed coeds at their respective schools. You want guys who are cutthroat and yet party like rockstars.

Advertisement
Any on the field concerns about Herman and his ability to help right the ship? Don't care about his marital affairs.

Herman was a very underwhelming coach at UT;

4-10 record against Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Christian.
1-4 Out of conference vs P5 opponents.

By all accounts, he thought he was coaching the Junction Boys or something, running overly aggressive practices in season that lead to many many practice injuries and a run down team. There is some weird stuff about the way he ran practices and everyone agrees Sark has been a huge upgrade from Herman.

All sizzle, no steak. He could recruit but they couldn't develop talent. Classes ranked 25, 3, 3 and 8 and still couldn't beat Maryland or TCU.

Ask yourself why someone like Gus Malzahan immediately got a "desirable" HC gig, and Herman is basically an intern for the Chicago Bears and that phone isn't ringing anytime soon?

And this is why we are the bottom feeders of college football. If you don’t think that Schnelly, Jimmy, and Erickson had skeletons you haven’t been paying attention. Guarantee you Saban and Dabo have ****ed coeds at their respective schools. You want guys who are cutthroat and yet party like rockstars.
This isn't about me; it's about the mindset of the leadership on campus.

Herman was a very underwhelming coach at UT;

4-10 record against Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Christian.
1-4 Out of conference vs P5 opponents.

By all accounts, he thought he was coaching the Junction Boys or something, running overly aggressive practices in season that lead to many many practice injuries and a run down team. There is some weird stuff about the way he ran practices and everyone agrees Sark has been a huge upgrade from Herman.

All sizzle, no steak. He could recruit but they couldn't develop talent. Classes ranked 25, 3, 3 and 8 and still couldn't beat Maryland or TCU.

Ask yourself why someone like Gus Malzahan immediately got a "desirable" HC gig, and Herman is basically an intern for the Chicago Bears and that phone isn't ringing anytime soon?
Now this is what I am looking for. Much appreciated

Advertisement
Back