The Banner is a stupid idea and other thoughts

These players, alums, boosters, and fans all deserve a better product then what's being given to us by Golden.

If anyone still wants to support the banner/billboard idea, matriculate on over to www.westendzone.com for more info.

It really ****es me off that this site will support anything pro-Golden.

As soon as something anti-Golden comes up, it's locked and or deleted.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1964879 said:
Completely disagree D$.

The banner will get people talking. We need Al out by any means neccessary.

It's not an opinion, man.

Like I told D$ off the board and wrote in the original thread that got deleted, I totally get that fans want to be seen as passionate about how they feel and ultimately heard about where they stand. I'm just also aware what the people who make decisions are already thinking. What they'd feel about a banner. And, what it'd likely do to whoever presumably comes in to clean up the mess. If Golden continues to do what he's done, it will simply play out. Talk about contracts. Talk about buyouts. Whatever. It'll be figured out. Trustees are aware. Big $ boosters are aware and frustrated.

A banner will not move the needle on what they already feel, but it will move the needle negatively on other fronts (like recruiting and perception that would matter to the next coach).

Ya'll know where I stand on the pillars, philosophy and any other thing that has not only failed to produce results but has soured some internally.

So you have spoke to these big boosters? Or is this just a rumor?

You've seen me post for years. I typically don't say things out of my ***. The people who watch practice and throw the big bucks around are as frustrated as you and me. Maybe both of us combined. I take what I'm told and has been reliable in the past. I don't know what else you'd like.

Almost all of you are grown men. I don't pretend to have any effect on what you do or don't do with a banner. Just offering a perspective on why I don't think it'll make a significant difference to what already exists.

Completely disagree D$.

No...it won't and anyone who thinks it will is dim to put it politely.
Some of you need to wake the fluck up and realize that you are a vocal minority.

Good post D other than the banner comments.

Fans drive the bus. We can sit back and claim that a bunch of stuffed shirts will eventually do the right thing on their own, but that's not how it works in real life.

The stuffed shirts are all about taking the easiest possible path. If the fans sit back and act like all is well waiting for the stuffed shirts to rescue the program they won't do it. The fans will force their hand by raising ****. If some hoity toity folks get embarrassed in the process, then so be it.

It's the timing that makes it look clownish.

If it was the last game of the year, I would find it unseemly (because it's Senior Day) but understandable. Doing it after the first game just gives people an excuse to laugh at us. And, more tangibly, it hurts recruiting and makes the program less appealing to coaching candidates.

So is Golden under any pressure? He sure doesn't operate like a guy who feels like his job is on the line. He was allowed to retain Donofrio. He just got blown out again and threw the offense under the bus again. Seems like he takes no accountability. Seems like he needs a slap in the face.

Advertisement
I wish I could fly a 100-plane squadron over Sun Life with banners until he's gone.

This site has to take the opposite stance since it's now under heavy surveillance from the athletic department, but those of you saying it'll hurt with recruiting or the next coach clearly don't follow SEC football. This is tame compared to what actual passionate fans do when it's clear they have a lemon of a coach.

Two types of people oppose the banner: Golden supporters and owner's of the site wanting to remain in the department's good graces.

We are 2-5 losing by 18 pts in our last 7. I don't give a ****. Fly that thing.

Last edited:
I hate that players like Duke, Chick and Mungo have to go through this **** in their last year. AG's time is absolutely up and he needs to go but I don't like the banner idea. It takes away from the players and their families. Just don't go to games, write letters, call radio shows, go to AG's appearances and protest but a banner does absolutely nothing positive for this team.

Completely disagree D$.

Some of you need to wake the fluck up and realize that you are a vocal minority.

minority or not, they're doing more harm than good, they sound like the republicans trying to impeach Obama right now

Completely disagree D$.

Like I told D$ off the board and wrote in the original thread that got deleted, I totally get that fans want to be seen as passionate about how they feel and ultimately heard about where they stand. I'm just also aware what the people who make decisions are already thinking. What they'd feel about a banner. And, what it'd likely do to whoever presumably comes in to clean up the mess. If Golden continues to do what he's done, it will simply play out. Talk about contracts. Talk about buyouts. Whatever. It'll be figured out. Trustees are aware of how core fans feel. Big $ boosters are aware and frustrated. A lot of those guys are as die hard as we are.

A banner will not move the needle on what they already feel, but it will move the needle negatively on other fronts (like recruiting and perception that would matter to the next coach).

Ya'll know where I stand on the pillars, philosophy and any other thing that has not only failed to produce results but has soured some internally.

The above in bold is the best thing I've read on this board since the bowl game. I'm at peace. Let things play out.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1964879 said:
Completely disagree D$.

Like I told D$ off the board and wrote in the original thread that got deleted, I totally get that fans want to be seen as passionate about how they feel and ultimately heard about where they stand. I'm just also aware what the people who make decisions are already thinking. What they'd feel about a banner. And, what it'd likely do to whoever presumably comes in to clean up the mess. If Golden continues to do what he's done, it will simply play out. Talk about contracts. Talk about buyouts. Whatever. It'll be figured out. Trustees are aware. Big $ boosters are aware and frustrated.

So you have spoke to these big boosters? Or is this just a rumor?

You've seen me post for years. I typically don't say things out of my ***. The people who watch practice and throw the big bucks around are as frustrated as you and me. Maybe both of us combined. I take what I'm told and has been reliable in the past. I don't know what else you'd like.

Almost all of you are grown men. I don't pretend to have any effect on what you do or don't do with a banner. Just offering a perspective on why I don't think it'll make a significant difference to what already exists.

Why the **** is this hard to believe or understand?

If most dedicated fans are frustrated with the product on the field, you don't think that dedicated fans and boosters who spent large amounts of their hard accumulated cash aren't annoyed too or that they need a banner to become aware of the problem?

D$, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This administration appears blind to our football program. The BOT appears blind to our football program. And of course, we get zero feedback from anyone, which is of course, to be expected. It just FEELS like no one at UM administration level or the BOT gives a tinker's ****.

I'll tell you what they DO care about - very much! Image. They're all about THEIR image, and the image of the U. Image is everything to these folks. They want all the emphasis to go to academics, but the most public display of the University is the football program. Locals, and at times, there is a national image.

The banners start flying, or billboards go up, the Administration and the BOT has to pay attention. Friends and associates will start asking questions. The media reinforces the idea. Game after game, the same thing? Soon, it's an open wound. That HAS to be addressed.

Donna is known as a fund raiser. Let her get off her fat little *** and raise some money if they need it for the buyout. If the administration hadn't pulled a bone-headed extension, there wouldn't be a problem.

The administration also needs to walk across campus to the business department. A good salesman may make unbelievable money, but regardless of his pay, he doesn't cost a company a dime. Because a good performance makes more than his own paychecks, and contributes excess to the company bottom line.

Nick Saban doesn't COST Alabama a single penny. His winning not only pays for his high salary, but he makes the University of Alabama a ton of money as well.

So this retarded BS about a really good coach's salary is a monument to an administration's stupidity.

Advertisement
Shalala and company worry more about the perception of this program than anything else, a banner only hurts the perception more. I don't think it resolves anything right away but it will be in the back of their minds.

it just doesn't make sense to do it after one game. if you get him fired,...who are you going to replace him with. theres no other way of explaining it other than to say its a completely idiotic idea. its impulsive, and not well thought out.

my biggest problem with it is that it tells the players that we've quit on them one **** game into the season.

just let the **** season play out

Completely disagree D$.

Not only is this untrue but thanks for posting that, you just helped prove our point. There's people out there who need to be made aware of what's really at stake here.

Advertisement
You sure some of you guys aren't just worried about losing access?

Did I lose access when Shannon got canned?

Did you have a little hairy fur ball wanna be rapper chasing recruits around for stories in the Shannon era?

He still doesn't have a credential even though he beats every credentialed writer consistently. I don't have any concern with keeping the SID happy. And the coaches have more important things to worry about after Monday.

- I've tried to write an in-depth breakdown of the loss, but I just don't have the will to watch the film. The game made me physically sick. I've got a newborn, and the least I've slept was Monday night because my stomach was in knots. It's not that I expected to win. I had no clue and went in with a totally open mind. It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.

What really kills me is that I can no longer see light at the end of the tunnel. Nebraska is pure mediocrity and the world still expects us to get smoked. And they should. We are what we've shown over the past three years. We consistently lose to less-talented teams, and we can no longer blame it on youth or adjustment to a system.

- As for the banner, I think it's stupid. People have the right to express themselves (that's why this site exists) but I don't want to be associated with it. Call me a communist or a ***g0t or whatever you want, but that's where I stand. I regret that I wasn't online to delete those threads earlier. The people planning this are true fans with pure motives-- you guys just want to see Canes football again. But I can't personally endorse this approach.

Why is the banner stupid? It's September 3rd. The guy isn't getting fired on Sunday. There is a season to be played that we waited nine months for. Do I expect anything to change over the next 11 games? No. Three years of results have killed any blind optimism I have. But this banner is going to be nothing but a distraction for the players and fodder for dip**** local writers and a national media that feeds off Miami negativity. Let it play out. If Golden is the coach that history suggests he is, the fanbase won't need any banner.

I can tell you that the people who actually matter are getting fed up with the product on the field. They see the same things you do. But these decision-makers won't look at this banner as an eye-opener. They will look at it as an embarrassment.

- Re: Kaaya/Heaps, people need to be consistent. First, the coaches were too gutless to start a true freshman. Now they're idiots for doing it. Heaps got beat out because Kaaya is a better quarterback.

Where the coaches failed (and Golden basically admitted this) is neutering Kaaya on game day. The reason they picked Kaaya over Heaps is because Heaps is extremely limited. He's too short to do anything in the middle of the field, he's unathletic, and there are many he throws he can't make. Kaaya can make those throws and has the height and length to see over the scrum. But all those advantages go out the window when you totally limit the game plan.

This is the most fundamental reason we lost on Monday and it falls squarely on the coaches. And even though I think we win that game with Ryan Williams, they can't use his injury as a crutch. Golden signed off on Preston Dewey, Gray Crow and Kevin Olsen. There isn't a serviceable quarterback in the bunch. Kaaya getting the start is a direct result of those signings.

Everything else has been said better than I could say it. It's an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. See you on Saturday.

Solid.

UM

I wish I could fly a 100-plane squadron over Sun Life with banners until he's gone.

This site has to take the opposite stance since it's now under heavy surveillance from the athletic department, but those of you saying it'll hurt with recruiting or the next coach clearly don't follow SEC football. This is tame compared to what actual passionate fans do when it's clear they have a lemon of a coach.

It's really not the case, man. I have hundreds of posts logged as an Adminstrator that question the pillars, the philosophy, the results, the conservative in-game approach. You name it. This would be the third season of the same skepticism, basically. I've openly admitted what players have told me they feel about the pillars and "motivational" stuff. It's all out there.

As for not knowing SEC football, I know we're not in that conference, don't have the same type of immediacy with how we handle these situations and, most of all, are a lightning rod for anything negative. It doesn't help that our local media has the program's worst interest in mind as well. I think it's distinguishable from what happens at SEC schools.

Like I said, you guys are gonna do whatever you wanna do anyway. I hope it nets a positive result that leads to future wins.

D, they knew Heaps was to short prior to bringing him. Yet they wasted snaps on a QB that they obviously never planned to use, because everything you stated on Heaps flaws. Were all on film for years for the staff to see. Fact is they were gambling on pure hope bringing him in. Hoping that he would have enough prior coaching to make up for what they lacked.

Olsen not serviceable is a joke. The fact is Coley isn't coach enough to get anything out of him. Coley has only proven one thing on the QB front. That he can't make a single one look good.

Fisch made Harris look night in day in one off season. Even had Morris look some what serviceable.

They brought in Heaps because they could not trust Olsen. Based on everything I've heard about him, I totally understand that decision. Plus he's played like dogcrap on the field. We saw it in the spring game, and he looked exactly the same this fall. The signs were there beginning with his mope-fest at the Under Armour game.

The plan was always for this to be a Flynn/Wilson situation if Kaaya rose to the challenge. He did it in camp. He wasn't put in a position to do it against Louisville.

As for Coley v. Fisch, can't argue with you. The results speak for themselves. But Fisch belongs in the pros. He wouldn't have lasted long recruiting guys like Dewey and Crow.

D, Im not attacking you, but Coley made Kaaya look bad Monday night. So Olsen looking bad in the spring game means nothing. Coley did nothing in that spring game to help either QB just like Monday night when he ****ed over Kaaya.

The Olsen trust issues are probably a two way street. I doubt that he has much trust in Coley.

Advertisement
Back