The Banner is a stupid idea and other thoughts

As long as a banner supports Corch Al, Donna, and team it's a good idea.

Correct?

Advertisement
D, they knew Heaps was to short prior to bringing him. Yet they wasted snaps on a QB that they obviously never planned to use, because everything you stated on Heaps flaws. Were all on film for years for the staff to see. Fact is they were gambling on pure hope bringing him in. Hoping that he would have enough prior coaching to make up for what they lacked.

Olsen not serviceable is a joke. The fact is Coley isn't coach enough to get anything out of him. Coley has only proven one thing on the QB front. That he can't make a single one look good.

Fisch made Harris look night in day in one off season. Even had Morris look some what serviceable.

Money, I respect what you say, but I like the banner idea. Al has to go. I have defended him but this was last straw. For me it is crucial that he go way before and of season for the sake of allowing new coach enough time to save the 2015 recruiting class. Of course I am assuming the AD will have replacement ready BEFORE the job action. My thoughts got to Chud or Gregg. Both are former HC with NFL and Miami experience and are not coaching at the moment. Sure both want to get back to NFL, but those are the type of coaches we have won with. I believe Al is gone at end of year, but that will kill the recruiting class. Banners might turn heat up on administration. We could all boycott the games, but better we fill the stands wearing brown bags and boo--except when the banners fly over.

Can we also stop with the "we should have hired so and so" or "we should hire blah" threads? I want nothing more than to be rid of our inept staff but those threads are just dumb, it's a bunch of ppl blathering about random coaches that will probably never be here.

Advertisement
When people like Greg Cote say that UM fans are overreacting and basically saying trust the freaking process, as it says on his blog right now, it makes it seem like we do need a real eye opener for the passive (majority of) fans. I fear that Golden's charm is still working on the "fans" that see the scoreboard at the end of the day and have the SteMo mentality of "you win some..."

**** is make or break time right now, and I feel like Golden has one more year left solely because he didn't fire D'Nofrio last season and that will be his saving grace at the end of this season. Everyone needs to go. I just hope the people that make these calls understand this.

At the very least, a banner let's Golden and the BOT know where WE stand.

I agree, I think the banner is played out and it's way too soon. The rumblings are the loudest they have ever been under the Golden era. We still have the Coastal to play for and if Kaaya gets comfortable and the O-line blocks for him, then we have a chance to be a decent team. Even with all the rumblings, I'm not sure UM is in a financial situation to fire Golden. I do believe we would be paying him longer than we ended up paying Coker.
Now with the momentum as far as the facilities, sales of season tickets, contributions up and alumni donations up, then Golden may be coaching on borrowed time. As ****ed off as I was Monday night and all day yesterday, I've taken the deep breaths and have calmed down enough to be cautiously optimistic and see how this plays out. Nice post D Money.

It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.
You left out Artie being stepped to again, and again not doing anything about it. The worse part about Golden is that he has neutered our sofla boys and the team is becoming soft like him.

Maybe the players should do their talking on the field and not worry about "stepping" to people.

There comes a point when a man has to man up and handle his business.

Advertisement
- I've tried to write an in-depth breakdown of the loss, but I just don't have the will to watch the film. The game made me physically sick. I've got a newborn, and the least I've slept was Monday night because my stomach was in knots. It's not that I expected to win. I had no clue and went in with a totally open mind. It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.

What really kills me is that I can no longer see light at the end of the tunnel. Nebraska is pure mediocrity and the world still expects us to get smoked. And they should. We are what we've shown over the past three years. We consistently lose to less-talented teams, and we can no longer blame it on youth or adjustment to a system.

- As for the banner, I think it's stupid. People have the right to express themselves (that's why this site exists) but I don't want to be associated with it. Call me a communist or a ***g0t or whatever you want, but that's where I stand. I regret that I wasn't online to delete those threads earlier. The people planning this are true fans with pure motives-- you guys just want to see Canes football again. But I can't personally endorse this approach.

Why is the banner stupid? It's September 3rd. The guy isn't getting fired on Sunday. There is a season to be played that we waited nine months for. Do I expect anything to change over the next 11 games? No. Three years of results have killed any blind optimism I have. But this banner is going to be nothing but a distraction for the players and fodder for dip**** local writers and a national media that feeds off Miami negativity. Let it play out. If Golden is the coach that history suggests he is, the fanbase won't need any banner.

I can tell you that the people who actually matter are getting fed up with the product on the field. They see the same things you do. But these decision-makers won't look at this banner as an eye-opener. They will look at it as an embarrassment.

- Re: Kaaya/Heaps, people need to be consistent. First, the coaches were too gutless to start a true freshman. Now they're idiots for doing it. Heaps got beat out because Kaaya is a better quarterback.

Where the coaches failed (and Golden basically admitted this) is neutering Kaaya on game day. The reason they picked Kaaya over Heaps is because Heaps is extremely limited. He's too short to do anything in the middle of the field, he's unathletic, and there are many he throws he can't make. Kaaya can make those throws and has the height and length to see over the scrum. But all those advantages go out the window when you totally limit the game plan.

This is the most fundamental reason we lost on Monday and it falls squarely on the coaches. And even though I think we win that game with Ryan Williams, they can't use his injury as a crutch. Golden signed off on Preston Dewey, Gray Crow and Kevin Olsen. There isn't a serviceable quarterback in the bunch. Kaaya getting the start is a direct result of those signings.

Everything else has been said better than I could say it. It's an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. See you on Saturday.
Well said....

So bringing in heap was one more of AG failures to add to his long list ? Let me get this right the one thing he suppose to be able to do is recruit and it looks like he suxs at this too.

It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.
You left out Artie being stepped to again, and again not doing anything about it. The worse part about Golden is that he has neutered our sofla boys and the team is becoming soft like him.

Maybe the players should do their talking on the field and not worry about "stepping" to people.

nah, this is a sport about physically dominating your opponent. This team has been neutered. No way no how would past Cane teams get treated like a bunch of chumps.

D, they knew Heaps was to short prior to bringing him. Yet they wasted snaps on a QB that they obviously never planned to use, because everything you stated on Heaps flaws. Were all on film for years for the staff to see. Fact is they were gambling on pure hope bringing him in. Hoping that he would have enough prior coaching to make up for what they lacked.

Olsen not serviceable is a joke. The fact is Coley isn't coach enough to get anything out of him. Coley has only proven one thing on the QB front. That he can't make a single one look good.

Fisch made Harris look night in day in one off season. Even had Morris look some what serviceable.

They brought in Heaps because they could not trust Olsen. Based on everything I've heard about him, I totally understand that decision. Plus he's played like dogcrap on the field. We saw it in the spring game, and he looked exactly the same this fall. The signs were there beginning with his mope-fest at the Under Armour game.

The plan was always for this to be a Flynn/Wilson situation if Kaaya rose to the challenge. He did it in camp. He wasn't put in a position to do it against Louisville.

As for Coley v. Fisch, can't argue with you. The results speak for themselves. But Fisch belongs in the pros. He wouldn't have lasted long recruiting guys like Dewey and Crow.

There comes a point when a man has to man up and handle his business.

Yes. Like blocking the guy in front on you. Hitting open receivers. Jumping on loose balls. Making tackles.

Our players and coaches should save all their energy for the game itself.

Advertisement

nah, this is a sport about physically dominating your opponent. This team has been neutered. No way no how would past Cane teams get treated like a bunch of chumps.

Win games. Talk later.

I can't see the banner being a bad thing. If it embarrasses the people that matter then good. They need to know the fans are the ones making them millions. And that we aren't happy being a garbage team.

Stanford is a better university and still manages to care about football. If they can then why can't we. Winning brings more fans to games and makes the university more money.

Agree 100%! It's the 1st game of the season and everyone on this board wants to close up shop and go suck there thumb. The banner is nothing but negative. The players will see it and think, **** we suck let's throw in the towel. What do you think the top talent recruits will think and feel like after seeing it? You guys are planting a bad seed in their minds about this team.

I know we are all hurting and if Al can't do it, he has got to go. But don't be ******* and fly a banner that going to do nothing but hurt your team more. Send emails, letter, talk to the folks who call about tickets and donation. Tell them then what you think by not supporting.

What really hurts? $$$$$$$$, that talks more then a banner! That is how you send a message!

Now quit your *****ing and support these kids if anything!

Advertisement
nah **** it just let Golden & he's jagoon's ruin the team we so very much love. Let them keep pounding gus into 9 guys in the redzone. Let them keep playing 8 yards off receivers. Let them send trent harris & tyriq mccord out in coverage vs slot receivers. Are you people crazy? By ANY MEANS get these ******* wastes out of command & stop wasting these kids talent in which they couldnt develop if their lives depended on it. This is the softest ******* team ive ever seen in my life. The whole off season was smoke blown up our asses. Those pics with the team in the weightroom with chains flexing their muscles, these ******* stupid jersey colors at practice, #renewed haha thats a good one, how about Mr. whyche we heard so much aboutt? playing ******* tiddle winks with the waterboys. Enough is a ******* nuff. Get these ******** out if a banner will help then so be it. I cant wait another soft miami hurricane team.

Real talk:

People need to save their pennies for banners for before the UNC game at earliest.

Flying one before will be effectively useless this early in the year, and will just give the national media further reason to pick on us, and rival teams ammunition to recruit against us. We'd rather have 4 planes out towing signs in an endless train around Dolphin Stadium airspace later in the year than one towing 'Fire Golden' at a FAMU game with 15K fans at it.

I want the revolution of Miami football to be a quick and neat coup, as the next coaching staff will be able to hit the ground running and win immediately, without the crutch of excuses and low expectations that have flourished around the program lately.

Completely disagree D$.

The banner will get people talking. We need Al out by any means neccessary.

It's not an opinion, man.

Like I told D$ off the board and wrote in the original thread that got deleted, I totally get that fans want to be seen as passionate about how they feel and ultimately heard about where they stand. I'm just also aware what the people who make decisions are already thinking. What they'd feel about a banner. And, what it'd likely do to whoever presumably comes in to clean up the mess. If Golden continues to do what he's done, it will simply play out. Talk about contracts. Talk about buyouts. Whatever. It'll be figured out. Trustees are aware of how core fans feel. Big $ boosters are aware and frustrated. A lot of those guys are as die hard as we are.

A banner will not move the needle on what they already feel, but it will move the needle negatively on other fronts (like recruiting and perception that would matter to the next coach).

Ya'll know where I stand on the pillars, philosophy and any other thing that has not only failed to produce results but has soured some internally.

Last edited:
crossover22[]_[];1964866 said:
I can't see the banner being a bad thing. If it embarrasses the people that matter then good. They need to know the fans are the ones making them millions. And that we aren't happy being a garbage team.

Stanford is a better university and still manages to care about football. If they can then why can't we. Winning brings more fans to games and makes the university more money.

It embarrasses the team and parents too. It is the first game, and will make the whole program look more like a circus opening the door further for negative recruiting and decommits.

Or we let the season play out and the decision will be clear.

Advertisement
Back