The Banner is a stupid idea and other thoughts

My opinion is, "whatever it takes." If we have a generous benefactor who's willing to pony up to fly a banner over every game, have at it. Or if some others want to wear brown paper bags to FSU and whatnot, go for it.

IMO, Miami is a rare school where public opinion and perception almost matters more than the boosters, because we've never ever ever shown that we have deep-pocketed alumni who are willing to shell out top dollar for the best coaches. We have consistently attempted to do more with less, going back to the 70s. Golden's hiring is no different, and I guarantee unless Warren Buffett becomes a donator in the next 12 months, our next coach will be a bargain hire too.

Yet more of an example why most coaches worth a SH*T wont come near this program.

The pay is mediocre, the local media will be all over your @ss on day one, the fans barely show up for games, but they will fly banners and scream for your head if you don't win and win fast.

This is why we wont be getting any coaches like Mark Stoops or other big names to come here.
I'm sorry but this is a load of crap. You want to be a coach at any program with high expectations and you'll get the same treatment. This administration is actually the most tolerant administration I have seen when it comes to babying ****ty coaches.

USC, Notre Dame, F$U and any SEC school outside of Vanderbilt aint got no sunshine for a ****ty coach.****, even schools like Pitt wouldn't be happy with the production on the field. You bet their fans would get riled up and their boosters would quickly send that *** home.

Also, we pay Golden a competitive salary. He's not the highest paid coach out there but then again he hasn't done crap with this team except embarrass Miami during big games.

A competitive salary? With who? He's at the bottom half of the ACC in salary. The ACC!! Mark Stoops, at Kentucky, is already scheduled to make more than Golden this year, and that is at the bottom of the SEC. Who the **** do you all think we are going to be getting to coach here, with this kind of pressure, and paying towards the bottom half of Division 1 programs.

Advertisement
We are 0-1 in conference play, with an impending loss from FSU. That's 0-2, and we have never gone undefeated in Coastal play. So pretty much we are 2nd or 3rd in the Coastal again and Golden & Co. has yet again not hit the baseline goal for success.

Sure, the games haven't been played yet, but I don't see us being leaps and bounds better than any of the other Coastal teams to go 6-2. We would still need them to lose to someone else. I guess, once again, I'm hoping for a miracle. Thanks Obama...I mean...Golden!

I'm sorry but this is a load of crap. You want to be a coach at any program with high expectations and you'll get the same treatment. This administration is actually the most tolerant administration I have seen when it comes to babying ****** coaches.

Srsly? ****, when we fired Coker, every other CFB team in America shook their collective heads in shock. Guy had one sub-par year (not even a losing record) and some crazy W-L record over his tenure.

USC, Notre Dame, F$U and any SEC school outside of Vanderbilt aint got no sunshine for a ****** coach.****, even schools like Pitt wouldn't be happy with the production on the field. You bet their fans would get riled up and their boosters would quickly send that *** home.

LMAO.

It took Tubberville 7 years before he reached double digit wins in a season at Auburn. And then they hired Chizik, which was a head-scratcher. And they only let him go after a total collapse and a 3-9 season.

It took five full seasons--the last two of which were sub-.500--for LSU to fire Gerry DiNardo.

Arkansas? **** they bumbled along under Houston Nutt for 10 years before firing his ***.

Tennessee gave Derek Dooley 3 full years and he never got above .500. And that was after letting fat Phil Fulmer languish in mediocrity for a half-decade.

Georgia suffered through sub-par decade with Ray Goff and Jim Donnan before going with Richt, who's been pretty good but has only won the SEC once and has never played for an NC.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Also, we pay Golden a competitive salary. He's not the highest paid coach out there but then again he hasn't done crap with this team except embarrass Miami during big games.

Yes and no. We reportedly hired Golden for under 2 mil/yr, and gave him a bump when "the cloud" hit, so he'd stick around. I think we can find someone decent in that price range, but it's not going to be a big name.

/

I'm sorry but this is a load of crap. You want to be a coach at any program with high expectations and you'll get the same treatment. This administration is actually the most tolerant administration I have seen when it comes to babying ****ty coaches.

Srsly? ****, when we fired Coker, every other CFB team in America shook their collective heads in shock. Guy had one sub-par year (not even a losing record) and some crazy W-L record over his tenure.

USC, Notre Dame, F$U and any SEC school outside of Vanderbilt aint got no sunshine for a ****ty coach.****, even schools like Pitt wouldn't be happy with the production on the field. You bet their fans would get riled up and their boosters would quickly send that *** home.

LMAO.

It took Tubberville 7 years before he reached double digit wins in a season at Auburn. And then they hired Chizik, which was a head-scratcher. And they only let him go after a total collapse and a 3-9 season.

It took five full seasons--the last two of which were sub-.500--for LSU to fire Gerry DiNardo.

Arkansas? **** they bumbled along under Houston Nutt for 10 years before firing his ***.

Tennessee gave Derek Dooley 3 full years and he never got above .500. And that was after letting fat Phil Fulmer languish in mediocrity for a half-decade.

Georgia suffered through sub-par decade with Ray Goff and Jim Donnan before going with Richt, who's been pretty good but has only won the SEC once and has never played for an NC.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Yes and no. We reportedly hired Golden for under 2 mil/yr, and gave him a bump when "the cloud" hit, so he'd stick around. I think we can find someone decent in that price range, but it's not going to be a big name.

/

Aint no one here got time for those facts buddy. 2 Million a year is a KINGS RANSOM to most of our fans. They think every coach in America is just drooling to take a pay cut to come coach here. What with our great fans and community support. I mean you have the local media that just FAWNS over the program giving lots of positive press to the team and its staff. And our patient, dedicated fans, who turn out come **** or high water, packing that stadium every Saturday to support the team.

Advertisement
Golden is the 49th highest paid coach. Mid road. That is over $2MM/season which isn't chump change. UM if necessary can fire him, handle the buyout with some but end donors and move to the next guy.

We are 0-1 in conference play, with an impending loss from FSU. That's 0-2, and we have never gone undefeated in Coastal play. So pretty much we are 2nd or 3rd in the Coastal again and Golden & Co. has yet again not hit the baseline goal for success.

Sure, the games haven't been played yet, but I don't see us being leaps and bounds better than any of the other Coastal teams to go 6-2. We would still need them to lose to someone else. I guess, once again, I'm hoping for a miracle. Thanks Obama...I mean...Golden!

Exactly, which is why the game against Lville was so important for a couple reasons. First, now with the likely loss to FSU, we'll have to go undefeated in the Coastal to have a chance to win the division, as it's pretty unlikely that a team with 3 losses will win the division. Maybe more importantly, I think Monday's game showed that we haven't made some huge leap in improvement that we wanted to see, which means that we're probably going to spend another season gutting out games against the other mediocre Coastal teams. We're going to be in close games (if we're lucky) against Duke, VT, UNC, GT, Pitt and UVA, and there's no reason to believe, given our past couple seasons, our coaching situation, or true freshman QB, our bend and break defense, etc., that we're going to end up winning all (or even most of those games).

Golden is the 49th highest paid coach. Mid road. That is over $2MM/season which isn't chump change. UM if necessary can fire him, handle the buyout with some but end donors and move to the next guy.

How do you know when we can fire him or not? The key point here is the terms of his buyout. We had to hire Shannon on the cheap, because we owed Coker so much **** money. Golden got several extensions during the NCAA mess, and he had us over a barrel. Im quite sure his agent negotiated quite a nice contract for him, meaning that if we **** can him early, its going to cost us big.

People CONSTANTLY overestimate how much UM is willing to spend on football. If we have to can this guy with 5 years left on this contract, its going to cost us BIG TIME, and you all can forget about ANYTHING, but some small time mid major coach, or maybe a decent coordinator willing to take a chance here. Big names are not going to come here, especially if we fire another coach after 4 years.

If they lose to Ark State I'd be willing to bet some of the bigger donors will offer up that 2 million to get that fat *** ****** out of here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back