The Bank (1/8)

View as article
You are kidding, right? As if those are the only guys we would pay NIL to.

---We missed on Jeremiah. Yes, and we signed 3 top WRs and are going after a few in the Portal. Doesn't mean you can just flip money around between position groups. The Collective was willing to overspend to keep Jeremiah home, but not to sign every Portal player we missed in prior years.

---Ward (or someone like Ward) is still under pursuit. You don't give away your QB money to a DL and then expect to get another QB for free.

I read the first line so I will respond to that.
As of December 19th did we have significant funds allocated for both Ward and JJ? If so, who received those funds once they elected to go elsewhere? Keep it short.
So here’s the thing.

I don’t have a problem with the lack of reckless spending in the aftermath of the QB debacle, especially towards players that aren’t “worth it” - no matter the position. My problem is the general process both he and the BOT are taking in terms of constructing this roster to succeed in the present.

This philosophy of building pretty much 90% of this team through HS isn’t going to work in the short-term. Heck, it might not even work out in the long-term. Still way too early to tell for sure…but thus, he keeps creating excuses for when the lack of success on the field rears its ugly head. “Oh just wait til 2024” turned into “oh wait til 2025 when his first class is all juniors” will turn into “wait til 2026 when his first two classes are all upperclassmen”.

The portal is not some scary place that will run your freshmen off if they go out and grab someone that improves the roster. If Mario is actually true to his words regarding talent acquisition, he should use every resource and possibility imaginable to upgrade his team and win games immediately, not in two years. It’s almost like he knows he has 7 years to win and is operating at that pace.

This team needs a lot of help that unfortunately, is going to have to come from the young guys (unless we attack the Spring Portal). There’s going to be an immense amount of pressure put on the ‘23 and ‘24 class to contribute immediately. This is not how big-boy programs operate: they bring in talent wherever necessary, and the cream always rises to the top.

So in the end, who is to blame for not attacking the portal harder: Mario, or the BOT for not wanting to spend money on certain positions? Both are issues, just separate ones.

In my eyes (and again, this is through the lenses of someone that wants/expects to challenge for a 9-10 win season), we still need:

A WR1, like badly: especially if our current QB situation does not improve.
A LB2
At least 1 lockdown DB, particularly in the slot.
A starting-caliber safety
Another Pass Rusher on the edge

Last edited:
Advertisement
I read the first line so I will respond to that.
As of December 19th did we have significant funds allocated for both Ward and JJ? If so, who received those funds once they elected to go elsewhere? Keep it short.

We are still recruiting for those positions, genius.

Now I know why so many porsters on this board are so broke that they have to fight with DirecTV to get lower bills.

Both Ward and JJ represented NIL deals for which the Collective was willing to OVERSPEND. The money wasn't just put into a bucket to be distributed to other needy (and lesser) players.

Maybe if you ever made a contribution, the Collective would have more money to spend.

The NCAA allows 56 OVs per year.

We have 27 signed LOIs and 5 committed transfers. Meaning, there are 24 other OV spots for guys who did not (or have not yet) picked Miami.

How many guys do you think we hosted this summer who didn't pick Miami?

Spots go fast, particularly when you let kids take more than 5, while NOT raising the number of OVs that schools can host.
Wrong

Advertisement
We are still recruiting for those positions, genius.

Now I know why so many porsters on this board are so broke that they have to fight with DirecTV to get lower bills.

Both Ward and JJ represented NIL deals for which the Collective was willing to OVERSPEND. The money wasn't just put into a bucket to be distributed to other needy (and lesser) players.

Maybe if you ever made a contribution, the Collective would have more money to spend.
How many OVs do schools get again?

It was us or the NFL, how is that on Mario?
Got played like a fiddle by Ward and his camp and missed other opportunities that were much better than Poffenbarger.

Every other coach that pursued Ward, or was interested in him, had a plan B ready in place.

And before the "DJU sucks" crows arrives: yes, DJU is a 6 at best but someone like Norvell could have him playing like a 7/8 (that's what happened with Travis). A luxury the Miami football program doesn't have because of QB killers and caveman offense.

So, yes, I'm ****ed at Corchobal.

So here’s the thing.

I don’t have a problem with recklessly throwing all of the QB money into players that aren’t “worth it” - no matter the position. My problem is the general process both he and the BOT are taking in terms of constructing this roster to succeed in the present.

This philosophy of building pretty much 90% of this team through HS isn’t going to work in the short-term. Heck, it might not even work out in the long-term. Thus, he keeps creating excuses for when the lack of success on the field rears its ugly head. “Oh just wait til 2024” turned into “oh wait til 2025 when his first class is all juniors” will turn into “wait til 2026 when his first two classes are all upperclassmen”.

The portal is not some scary place that will run your freshmen off if they go out and grab someone that improves the roster. If Mario is actually true to his words regarding talent acquisition, he should use every resource and possibility imaginable to upgrade his team and win games immediately, not in two years. It’s almost like he knows he has 7 years to win and is operating at that pace.

This team needs a lot of help that unfortunately, is going to have to come from the young guys (unless we attack the Spring Portal). There’s going to be an immense amount of pressure put on the ‘23 and ‘24 class to contribute immediately. This is not how big-boy programs operate: they bring in talent wherever necessary, and the cream always rises to the top.

So in the end, who is to blame for not attacking the portal harder: Mario, or the BOT for not wanting to spend money on certain positions? Both are issues, just separate ones.

In my eyes (and again, this is through the lenses of someone that wants/expects to challenge for a 9-10 win season), we still need:

A WR1, like badly: especially if our current QB situation does not improve.
A LB2
At least 1 lockdown DB, particularly in the slot.
A starting-caliber safety
Another Pass Rusher on the edge
If we had money to pay a high end QB and WR we shouldn't be stuck with Marley Cook and Savion Riley being our saviors.

Advertisement
Got played like a fiddle by Ward and his camp and missed other opportunities that were much better than Poffenbarger.

Every other coach that pursued Ward, or was interested in him, had a plan B ready in place.

And before the "DJU sucks" crows arrives: yes, DJU is a 6 at best but someone like Norvell could have him playing like a 7/8 (that's what happened with Travis). A luxury the Miami football program doesn't have because of QB killers and caveman offense.

So, yes, I'm ****ed at Corchobal.
FSU never had any interest in Ward. You know their offer was pennies on the dollar to ours. It was all about the hype for FSU and a bargaining chip for Ward that he didn't really need in the first place.

Advertisement
If we had money to pay a high end QB and WR we shouldn't be stuck with Marley Cook and Savion Riley being our saviors.
The DT acquisitions are going to be very interesting to evaluate.

I think Cook is going to play a significant amount of snaps. Again, I think he’s good, but we just won’t know til the pads come on. Definitely need to be hearing about him in the Spring and am excited to watch him work in the Spring game. If this eval doesn’t turn out to be a good one, oy vey.

I’m not as high on Clark, I think he’s a space-eater that shores up the middle, but he’s just meh. Doesn’t move the needle significantly.

I think Riley is a depth piece and it’s laughable we chose to prioritize him in the back-end over countless other prospects.

Carpenter is fine, doesn’t wow me but as long as he’s intelligent and communicates well, he should slot in fine on this OL. Good player, just not elite.

Poff shouldn’t be the starting QB here, but I do think he is significantly better than Emory and better than Jacurri. Good to very good backup QB option, puts us in a better position if a starter goes down like last year.

As it stands right now, I’d give our portal game a C-. Way too many holes being trusted to inexperienced players.

FSU never had any interest in Ward. You know their offer was pennies on the dollar to ours. It was all about the hype for FSU and a bargaining chip for Ward that he didn't really need in the first place.
Whatever. The result is the same: FSU has better quarterbacks than Miami.

Advertisement
Sure, with a QB that is no longer here and that Corchobal didn't replace with a better option. TVD lost us games but he is undeniably better than Emory, Jacurri and Ravensburger.
And you know this for a fact? Turnovers are the worst enemy of the W column. How do you know Raiola is not the next Vandergriff? Nebraska is not the team to flex here sorry.

The DT acquisitions are going to be very interesting to evaluate.

I think Cook is going to play a significant amount of snaps. Again, I think he’s good, but we just won’t know til the pads come on. Definitely need to be hearing about him in the Spring and am excited to watch him work in the Spring game. If this eval doesn’t turn out to be a good one, oy vey.

I’m not as high on Clark, I think he’s a space-eater that shores up the middle, but he’s just meh.

I think Riley is a depth piece and it’s laughable we chose to prioritize him in the back-end over countless other prospects.

Carpenter is fine, doesn’t wow me but as long as he’s intelligent and communicates well, he should slot in fine on this OL. Good player, just not elite.

Poff shouldn’t be the starting QB here, but I do think he is significantly better than Emory and better than Jacurri. Good to very good backuo QB option, puts us in a better position of a starter goes down than last year.

As it stands right now, I’d give our portal game a C-. Way too many holes being trusted to inexperienced players.
That was not me stating Cook was garbage. He is this years Deen. We aren't significantly better with him he will be a DT3 or DT4.

Whatever. The result is the same: FSU has better quarterbacks than Miami.
For now, yes.

I'm talking about Ward's decision, not the position we're currently in. Obviously that's on Mario.

Remember that Ward is still in play and Taulia might get a waiver. I'm not in any way predicting success with either, but let's revisit this in spring before burning it all down.

Advertisement
Back