Te’Cory Couch...

Banda has been a head scratcher for me. To be fair to him, he had Jenkins and J Carter in 2016, then Quan and Red for 2 years. And those guys were key to the whole defense because they mopped up a lot of sloppy play up front, not just providing coverage support. So Banda really had no reason to start the younger guys or even give them a lot of snaps.

At the same time, Banda's recruiting was haphazard, so our depth has been suspect, and that caught up to him in 2019. Hall didn't have enough reps under his belt and sruggled, and Bolden came on late only to get injured. A Carter was always a striker/LB to me, And with zero depth, who do you play? Rob Knowles.

This is the year K Smith should have stepped up at Safety. But because Patke is just as mediocre at recruiting, we now need him to cover at Striker. So I hope to see one of the Freshmen safeties emerge and see significant time backing up Bolden and Hall. Again, Carter is too stiff to be reliable there. And he's not shown that he can hide the underneath mistakes like the other guys can. But, yeah, Banda will probably stick with him even if he's getting burnt.

Advertisement
Banda comes up with some corny sh*t, “you have to deserve the right to play safety for us” he said some sh*t like that before
Think he just wants the kids to earn the spot. We haven’t had a freshman safety worth starting yet.

Rather have Bubba at free safety. Nothing behind him but unproven freshmen. Hopefully someone can step up in coverage as the man child. Is that a place Tae can help or is he more in the Hall/Carter SS mild?

I’m hoping Frierson and Smith can get their cover skills up to par. We will need them if Ivey doesn’t step up and Couch has to fill in outside. I know Ivey is slow but I’m hoping he can use size and technique to make a strong improvement because it would allow us keep Couch inside on speedier slot guys.
I think the starters at safety are Bubba and Gurvan with Amari in the flex package. If we go Dime I’d like to see Couch and Bubba/Frierson or even Tae playing the slot.

Advertisement
Imagine trying to be a whiny bish about banda and then saying we had a 4-2-6 on passing downs. then when someone makes a joke about your obvious mistake you tell them to calm down like a whiny bish.

Carry on with your no sense of humor having self

Lol WTF are you talking about? “ Calm down Blake” isn’t whining you moron. Go take your tampon out

Advertisement
@Liberty City El

. I agree with you 100%. Do you think anyone could beat out Ivey? I know options are limited but Ivey seemed like a huge liability many times last year.
They can but ivey does seems like a coach’s favorite for whatever reason. I want To see what Christian Williams and couch can do personally. No that’s not me writing ivey off I just Want to see more of those guys. Ivey had a very uneven season, he had a number of bad games but had some games where he also showed progress vs Pitt, FSU and Louisville. At the end of the day, plenty of playing time to go around for all the cbs

Last edited:
Couch is tough. He really has a pretty complete game aside from the weight, which is coming on. Excited to see his development.
Agreed. I'm not saying he's the same caliber as Tyrann Mathieu but same type of build. Mathieu was 5'8¾ and 176 at LSU. If Couch can get get to 165 - 170 that's probably ideal for him to be able to hold up.

Advertisement
They can but ivey does seems like a coach’s favorite for whatever reason. I want To see what Christian Williams and couch can do personally. No that’s not me writing ivey off I just Want to see more of those guys. Ivey had a very uneven season, he had a number of bad games but had some games where he also showed progress vs Pitt, FSU and Louisville
Is a Redwine type move in order for Ivey?

Advertisement
Is a Redwine type move in order for Ivey?
Not sure, he’s not the same type of athlete like redwine who tested elite athletically as a Safety. Ivey needs to be locked in and play with urgency and confidence and he might turn out alright. Also get faster which can happen, I mean Redwine dropped from a 4.77 entering Miami to 4.44 leaving Miami

Ima laugh when I look back at this thread after Couch ball out this year.

when we signed him I said he was gonna be similar to Denzel Ward and ima stand on that.

Not sure, he’s not the same type of athlete like redwine who tested elite athletically as a Safety. Ivey needs to be locked in and play with urgency and confidence and he might turn out alright. Also get faster which can happen, I mean Redwine dropped from a 4.77 entering Miami to 4.44 leaving Miami

DJ Ivey scratched his 40 for a reason, but I am curious what he's running these days. He was undernourished in high school and has already gained at least 20 lean pounds. Here is how he compares to MJ and Redwine in high school:

DJ Ivey

6'1, 171
No forty
4.20 shuttle
35.8 VJ

Michael Jackson

6'1, 189
4.67 forty
4.29 shuttle
34.8 VJ

Sheldrick Redwine

6'1, 183