Te’Cory Couch...

I think Couch will be the nickel, but I can also see them putting Tae in that spot or even both on field together in obvious passing downs.

Unpopular opinion: Tae Williams plays very little on defense this year.

And not because I don’t like his long-term outlook. Just, it’s been tough for freshmen to crack the rotation at safety/striker and I think what he does best, Bolden and Hall do it better right now. At least early on. We’ll see.

Advertisement
Disagree. As long as Couch continues to gain weight he will be fine. Physically I remember clips of him challenging guys last off-season in press man.

I think Couch and Blades will play the most at CB this year. I hope Ivey figures it out but mentally it appears he checks out during games and gets sloppy with his technique.

I don’t think you disagree though

And not because I don’t like his long-term outlook. Just, it’s been tough for freshmen to crack the rotation at safety/striker and I think what he does best, Bolden and Hall do it better right now. At least early on. We’ll see.
People don't realize that Banda prefers Seniority at Safety, we've never had a TF get any serious snaps at Safety in the Diaz regime. In fact Gurvan was the youngest S ever start in this defense. Amari Carter played as a TF but only sparingly in a rotational/situational role.

Banda has said in an interview from a few years ago, that the TF's have to earn their keep on Special Teams first before they get to see the field. No matter how highly ranked, we'll never start a TF at FS or SS in this defense.

As long as Bolden is healthy for all of Fall camp, Tae will mostly get 3rd team reps & be a Special teamer, if any of the starters get injured at any time during the season then Tae will probably get some reps.

Under Mandy's regime Ivey has a No benching clause
I honestly don't think manny paid too much attention to the defense last year. But this year i think will be different and he even said they needed work especially on 3rd downs. On both sides. And if you watch tape on 3rd down defense there will be one player that he will watch on a constant basis being on the ground or beaten and thats Ivey, if couch can play and Ivey doesn't improve he will get his shot to over take him. Manny isn't losing his job for Ivey.

Advertisement
People don't realize that Banda prefers Seniority at Safety, we've never had a TF get any serious snaps at Safety in the Diaz regime. In fact Gurvan was the youngest S ever start in this defense. Amari Carter played as a TF but only sparingly in a rotational/situational role.

Banda has said in an interview from a few years ago, that the TF's have to earn their keep on Special Teams first before they get to see the field. No matter how highly ranked, we'll never start a TF at FS or SS in this defense.

As long as Bolden is healthy for all of Fall camp, Tae will mostly get 3rd team reps & be a Special teamer, if any of the starters get injured at any time during the season then Tae will probably get some reps.

Bingo.

3rd team? Behind who? Only upperclassmen is Bubba, Gurvan and Amari..

Be pretty shocked to see a starter lose a spot. Manny isn’t too keen on that on his defense. Might see time as nickel though

Advertisement
Alphonso Jr will be the best.

Couch will hopefully hold down the Nickel CB spot.
Al has the highest ceiling overall. He should be the numero uno CB this year. That being said, Couch has the best cover ability right now and lacks the physicality to be a nickel. Couch should be playing outside. Nickel at UM is pretty much the striker position already. 3rd and long is like to see Ivey or Williams inside. They have a ton to prove but size to keep runs from going to the sticks.

idc what anyone say, we hurtin at corner. One injury and we in the crapper. I’m not expecting a very effective blitz package if one of our starters gets hurt. Something to think about.
Albeit we have a nasty front four, especially with Groot inside (he got many sacks as a NT last year)

You're probably right. I think we're more likely to see an additional safety considering our corner depth is terrible. If hall & carter were safety starters for example I'd think bolden would get more snaps than Tae but you just never know.

this is all facts... Banda is a Senority *****... But last year they went to a lot of 4-2-5 on Passing downs. That’s the only way I see Tae getting snaps on D next year and even those snaps would be limited.. Barring multiple injuries.. I hate that our defense requires you to be a 29 year Senior to get significant snaps at Safety.

Last edited:
Advertisement
this is all facts... Banda is a Senority *****... But last year they went to a lot of 4-2-6 on Passing downs. That’s the only way I see Tae getting snaps on D next year and even those snaps would be limited.. Barring multiple injuries.. I hate that our defense requires you to be a 29 year Senior to get significant snaps at Safety.
That’s depressing. We had 12 guys on the field and was still bad on passing downs

Advertisement
this is all facts... Banda is a Senority *****... But last year they went to a lot of 4-2-5 on Passing downs. That’s the only way I see Tae getting snaps on D next year and even those snaps would be limited.. Barring multiple injuries.. I hate that our defense requires you to be a 29 year Senior to get significant snaps at Safety.
Banda comes up with some corny sh*t, “you have to deserve the right to play safety for us” he said some sh*t like that before

I like Couch and Bubba to hold down that nickel when needed. Seeems like Frierson will be there as well!

Rather have Bubba at free safety. Nothing behind him but unproven freshmen. Hopefully someone can step up in coverage as the man child. Is that a place Tae can help or is he more in the Hall/Carter SS mild?

I’m hoping Frierson and Smith can get their cover skills up to par. We will need them if Ivey doesn’t step up and Couch has to fill in outside. I know Ivey is slow but I’m hoping he can use size and technique to make a strong improvement because it would allow us keep Couch inside on speedier slot guys.

It’s true but what guys who were on the bench was better then the starters , I have not seen any of our Dbs who was a star since the day they stepped on campus , hopefully take can be that guy.

Advertisement
Back