Tate is my starter because....

Advertisement
To add to that Phil Steele said he spent time with manny Diaz this spring in his interview last week. In the interview he predicted tate would be the starter for Miami on wqam radio. Not sure how we can glean too much from the local or even national guys but it should also be noted the local guys are only seeing a small glimpse of the practice which is 15 minutes at best
Brock, the bolded part is pretty obvious, which is why I said, "I think both are clueless." I know you lean towards Tate, which you've said so yourself. I have no horse in this race. I was simply pointing out the difference in the viewpoints of the local vs national reporters.

Brock, the bolded part is pretty obvious, which is why I said, "I think both are clueless." I know you lean towards Tate, which you've said so yourself. I have no horse in this race. I was simply pointing out the difference in the viewpoints of the local vs national reporters.
Out of those 2 I do Lean towards tate slightly. But out of all 3 i like Jarren a lot but not sure how he factors in the race

I'll play....

It's interesting to me that there seems to be two different viewpoints on the race based upon whether the reporter is National or Local. What's even more interesting, is both are clueless, in my opinion.

The National reporters, (ESPN, Phil Steele, Sports Illustrated, etc..) all think that it is Tates job to lose and are predicting him to be the starter.

The local reporters, (Navarro, Ivins, Underwood, Christy Chirinos, etc...) all think that Perry is the frontrunner and have predicted him to be the starter on 08/24. Navarro said that he spoke with Enos at a private event this summer in which he left that meeting thinking that the race will be narrowed down to two very quickly, and that Perry will be the starter on 08/24.

The CIS staff, at least @Roman Marciante and @Lance Roffers, have both said that they believe Martell will be the starter.

The local reporters who were there every day during the spring, including the scrimmages, seem to be going off of the eye test. The National reporters seem to be going off of the terrible QB play that was on display last year by Perry and coupling that with the fact that Tate was "brought in for a reason."

Good thing is we can soon stop all of the speculating because fall practice starts next week.

I think Perry starts , unless Martell wins the job.

Crazy thought ....I want the guy who plays the best and leads the offense best to start.

Advertisement
Out of those 2 I do Lean towards tate slightly. But out of all 3 i like Jarren a lot but not sure how he factors in the race
I think Perry starts , unless Martell wins the job.

Crazy thought ....I want the guy who plays the best and leads the offense best to start.
All I know and care about is we are going to be much better off than we were last year, regardless of who gets the nod at QB!

I was a big Perry guy when i saw his tape. I thought his pocket escapability would translate to college and it so far looks like it didnt. He was amazing in the pocket and had a feel for it. If Tate can do that in cfb what he did in HS thats a big time gift. My only thing is his throwing ability against good teams. Im excited to see what JW and TM can do when the battle begins.

Nobody on the team last year jumped up and took matters in hand. Granted different coaches, but that is still concening. For that reason along, I hope it Tate. If he can’t then I think we are screwed for another year because we have nobody with that thing that makes QBs good. Two things matter at Miami, DTs and QB. If a coach can’t get both he is cooked.

I'm getting real sick & tired of the disrespect to...

AUGIE "THE MILLION DOLLAR ARM" DEBIASE!!!

Advertisement
Nobody on the team last year jumped up and took matters in hand. Granted different coaches, but that is still concening. For that reason along, I hope it Tate. If he can’t then I think we are screwed for another year because we have nobody with that thing that makes QBs good. Two things matter at Miami, DTs and QB. If a coach can’t get both he is cooked.
If a coach cant keep top talent from leaving sfla hes cooked

The funny shît is when tate gets brought up nobody ever talks about how good of a passer he is. It's always some other shît as to why he is the best option.I want a qb who can get these guys the ball. If enos can get him to start making these type of plays in these type situations then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
The funny shît is when tate gets brought up nobody ever talks about how good of a passer he is. It's always some other shît as to why he is the best option.I want a qb who can get these guys the ball. If enos can get him to start making these type of plays in these type situations then I'm all for it.

"He's the most athletic" "He's the most vocal" "He's in the weight room the most". Great but if homeboy can't hit an open receiver, all that makes him is a male cheerleader on athletic scholarship.

Honestly, had Diaz brought in more of a spread option OC I would probably say Tate takes the job and runs with it.

As it is now, how knows? I think Enos prefers a throw first guy but if Tate proves the most consistent, I'm sure he can tailor his offense more to Tate's strengths.

If you watch the whole highlight video I posted in the other thread, you'll see Tate made very similar throws. Enos needs to put him in the gun and let him do his thing.

Advertisement
The problem with that logic is that, IMO, even Tom Bready would have looked like sh-t in CMR's offense last year.

Enos needs to put him in the gun and let him do his thing
I'm assuming if Martell wins the job, we'll probably see a ton of shotgun spread sets. And I'm cool with that. I like a coach to tailor his scheme to best fit the players available. The worst case scenario would be for Martell to win the job and then stick him under center in the I formation and watch him struggle to take a seven step drop.

Advertisement
I'm assuming if Martell wins the job, we'll probably see a ton of shotgun spread sets. And I'm cool with that. I like a coach to tailor his scheme to best fit the players available. The worst case scenario would be for Martell to win the job and then stick him under center in the I formation and watch him struggle to take a seven step drop.
Completely agree

Yea but I also have seen Perry say "**** it" and throw a jump ball up to 5'5 Mike Harley who was covered by 3 people against Virginia.

The throw to Thomas was very impressive for sure and the throw to Jordan was another good sequence for Perry. I know you have your stance that tate martell can’t throw but I implore you to go back and watch his highschool film he has a pretty good arm. He as well as the rest of the QBs should improve their play under Dan Enos who is one of the better qb developers in the game

Last edited:
The throw to Thomas was very impressive for sure and the throw to Jordan was another good sequence for Perry. I know you have your stance that tate martell can’t throw but I implore you to go back and watch his highschool film he has a pretty good arm
And the highlights from last year at taint. People keep harping on the struggles early in spring, not realizing he was learning a completely new scheme and timing with WRs; as well as trying to adapt under center. Enos has to allow each of the QBs to do what they do best.

Advertisement
Back