Tate is my starter because....

With Williams still having maturity issues apparently, I think It’s between tate and Perry at this point. I lean slightly Tate because it’s something new and his skill set thrives in today’s era of college football. Bad offense or not Perry looked good In some of the games and looked terrible in the rest and it just feels like I’ve seen enough of that. I mean He certainly can improve with better coaching but we will see.

I just have my concerns from last year of him not doing what he was supposed to do as the guy when he did get that opportunity and it showed in the uva game for sure as far as not watching film and being a leader etc. Like how could you not capitalize on that situation last year after his play in the fiu game where he looked great and then got relaxed? I cant really Get those last 2 games out of my mind either, 6 for 24 vs Pitt , and looked horrible vs wisonsin too. If Perry is the starter then hopefully he has improved considerably in every aspect of the game which is certainly possible. It does seem like he improved overall in the spring though so again we will see.

I'm really curious what this part of your comment is based on: "With Williams still having maturity issues apparently,"

Where does the "still" come in. Has there been anything new? All I've heard about all the QB's since Spring is that they all have shown increased maturity.

Advertisement
I'm really curious what this part of your comment is based on: "With Williams still having maturity issues apparently,"

Where does the "still" come in. Has there been anything new? All I've heard about all the QB's since Spring is that they all have shown increased maturity.
Ddsdcane mentioned it a week or so ago and Richt was interviewed recently saying there were maturity issues with Perry and Jarren, although Richt is probably going off of last year.

Ddsdcane mentioned it a week or so ago and Richt was interviewed recently saying there were maturity issues with Perry and Jarren, although Richt is probably going off of last year.
Yeah, I saw the Richt quote, though I take that with a grain of salt. An 18 y.o. coming into the ridiculous mess of Richt's offense and how he ran it is likely to act "immature" by doing things such as expressing a desire to go somewhere else (which he did) or not focusing on conditioning (when he feels like he has no chance to play anyway). Just like Perry, he gets a clean slate this year, so only new stuff matters. I haven't seen anything new. What did Ddsdcane say?

Just based off what dsddcane was saying last week

Advertisement
The throw to Thomas was very impressive for sure and the throw to Jordan was another good sequence for Perry. I know you have your stance that tate martell can’t throw but I implore you to go back and watch his highschool film he has a pretty good arm. He as well as the rest of the QBs should improve their play under Dan Enos who is one of the better qb developers in the game
My issue isn't his arm strength.

Everybody knows there was maturity issues. Ahmmon said that neither perry or williams was ready to play last year.

Advertisement
So just accuracy?
Yes. And he isn't a pure passer. My thing with martell is he is more of a runner than passer. He isn't a guy who is just going to sit in the pocket and throw the ball 30 times a game.

Then i look at enos system. I know he says he will build a system around the qb but would he really change his whole offense for tate? Because with him i think you have to spread it out and have to use him a lot in the run game.

Perry has his issues as well. I think a lot of his inconsistent accuracy came because of his mechanics. And then you had him not really studying the game like a top qb should be doing. On top of richt horrible passing concepts.

Yes. And he isn't a pure passer. My thing with martell is he is more of a runner than passer. He isn't a guy who is just going to sit in the pocket and throw the ball 30 times a game.

Then i look at enos system. I know he says he will build a system around the qb but would he really change his whole offense for tate? Because with him i think you have to spread it out and have to use him a lot in the run game.

Perry has his issues as well. I think a lot of his inconsistent accuracy came because of his mechanics. And then you had him not really studying the game like a top qb should be doing. On top of richt horrible passing concepts.
In every video available on Tate, he was extremely accurate. Also, that's what Enos is being paid 1.5 mil for, to design the offense around the QB that gives him the best chance for success

The problem with that logic is that, IMO, even Tom Bready would have looked like sh-t in CMR's offense last year.

True, but the coach is not on the field. Actually only Rosier showed he could overcome the coaching in 2017 although it was mostly with his feet. Hey, one might bust out this year and that will be great. The kid that the Fins just traded away cost his college HC his job and a couple more with the Fins. Brandy made his coach great; Shula went to Super Bowls with Earl Morral, Bob Griese, Dan and some dude named David Woodly, RIP. Safe to say, last year we had neither great coach or great QB.

Advertisement
In every video available on Tate, he was extremely accurate. Also, that's what Enos is being paid 1.5 mil for, to design the offense around the QB that gives him the best chance for success
Please show me that video. I watched that spring game and he was ok but he didn't seem to have a lot of zip on his passes at times and the accuracy wasn't great. It's been said enos wanted to fix something with his mechanics so maybe that helps.

True, but the coach is not on the field. Actually only Rosier showed he could overcome the coaching in 2017 although it was mostly with his feet. Hey, one might bust out this year and that will be great. The kid that the Fins just traded away cost his college HC his job and a couple more with the Fins. Brandy made his coach great; Shula went to Super Bowls with Earl Morral, Bob Griese, Dan and some dude named David Woodly, RIP. Safe to say, last year we had neither great coach or great QB.
Agree. I just meant that I'm willing to give Kosi and Jarren a pass for not overtaking Malik last year as it's quite possible that was merely a result of how poorly they were developed and deployed, not that they don't have the potential. Only time will tell though.

Please show me that video. I watched that spring game and he was ok but he didn't seem to have a lot of zip on his passes at times and the accuracy wasn't great.
The same one you said you weren't impressed. That's from taint last year, there's 3 or 4 from high school that show it as well.

Advertisement
The same one you said you weren't impressed. That's from taint last year, there's 3 or 4 from high school that show it as well.
It isn't that hard to complete short passes. The osu offense was just dumping it off to a bunch of fast wrs and let them work. Even in hs he didn't have to make any difficult throws. It was just im gone throw it up and my guy is better and he is going to get it.

He will have to make some tough throws vs uf. Is he capable of making them? So far i haven't seen him make them at any level.

Agree. I just meant that I'm willing to give Kosi and Jarren a pass for not overtaking Malik last year as it's quite possible that was merely a result of how poorly they were developed and deployed, not that they don't have the potential. Only time will tell though.

Sure. We have too. Coaching clearly sucked

The one intangible that cannot be measured or tested is how fast a player can process information during a play and make a decision and correlate that info to their legs and arms for action. Watching reruns of last years games, you can literally see Kosi thinking at times. Tate is clearly a faster decision maker. Havnt seen enough of Jarren to have an opinion of his ability to process information, but watching the scrimmages, he looks a little slow doing that. This intangible is what separates great players from good players and so on and the reason why so many NFL teams miss on draft picks and college teams miss on recruits. I believe Tate can do a much better job making decisions and getting the ball out versus blitzes, and teams are going to blitz us. Jaron is the better passer, Perry has the strongest arm, but that means nothing if they can't process information and make a play

Based on all of Tate's DI-level game film?

Did I miss a few games?

Advertisement
Back