Talent

Advertisement
I think many Canes fans are delusional beyond repair.

Did Mario **** the best this past year? YES! 8 wins or more was going to be a tall task know matter what. We had holes all over the roster not to mention we were bringing in an entire new coaching staff.

Since the end of the Comer era till now we’ve had 8 or more wins 6x. Six out of 16 years is pathetic.

What people fail to realize is that our issue is twofold. It’s been bad coaching along with terrible evaluation/development.

Gotta stop saying that Mario took a 7-5 team and made them worse.

First off the Roster left behind by Manny is the worst roster since the end of the Erickson era/ early Butch.

Secondly, we overrate our talent beyond all recognition. I implore you to turn on another team and just watch how these guys move. We’ve had guys for 4+ who couldn’t catch a football. That has nothing to do with coaching. Mark duper wasn’t gonna improve Mark Pope and Wiggins.

MTSU had WRs blowing the doors off our defense because we recruited guys like DJ IVEY who had no business playing P5 D1 ball.

We haven’t generated a push offensively since Stoutland. That’s because we’ve trotted out guys like DJ Scaif and Trevor Darling who wouldn’t get snaps at Wake Forest. They were both 4 stars, but that doesn’t mean ****. We’ve had scrubs so long that most of this board has forgotten what a real athlete looks like.

James Williams is a 5 star and WTF has he done? He is criminally overrated and should not be playing safety. We evaluated him wrong. He’s slow and can’t tackle. That’s not a 5 star.

Im interested to see what we can do when we actually have P5 quality athletes. The guys Mario has been bringing in are on a different level athletically than we’ve had in a long time.

If we keep recruiting like last year and sprinkle in real coaching we’ll be cooking.
DJ Ivey single handily cost us games every year. in football its really had for one guy to cost a team games but he found a way to do it. so glad he's gone.

Advertisement
When Diaz changed scheme he benefited from RJ mac. Dude was a terror. My favorite cane on that defense that year with MR. He was unlockable until Clemson
Ken Norton was really good that year too but yeah RM was awesome

I remember when SF drafted McGlinchey I hated that pick and I’m like put on the tape of the Miami game and watch him get abused

Last year ripped off the scab of what's been going on at Miami for twenty years. Overrated talent often along with bad coaching. They should have won more and would have if Gattis wasn't Gattis. It looked like an all-star coaching staff, but it wasn't close. I like that he's brought in coordinators who've maximized the talent they have instead of relying on it to carry them. I'd be more worried if Cristobal hadn't won at Oregon, but he did. I think he's still learning on the job, but at least he's identified his mistakes and made changes.

Eh
Beating a dead horse, but once again the NFL draft shows the lack of talent we have.

Illinois (x2)
Texas tech
Northwestern
Iowa State
Mississippi State
Pittsburg
TCU (x2)
Boston college
Maryland
Utah
Kansas State (x2)
Kentucky
Syracuse
Oregon State
Georgia Tech
North Dakota State
Michigan St
UCLA
SMU

All before Tyrique Stevenson in the 2nd round. And he transferred in here.

By the begging of the 5th round, many of the schools above had multiple players drafted. We have no more than 1…

The roster prior to Mario was at a group of 5 level maybe even worse.
. I don't know. It's hard to say. Can't really imagine SOOOOO many of these kids were bad evals when most were offered by just about everyone. What I'll say is our coaching during their time here simply let them down. Several positions we were developing to an extent but vast majority simply never developed kids. It's why I've never understood these fans on here who simply always scream such and such can't recruit... Well that's great and all but how does that person coach. Because we always need a balance of the two. That's what support staff and ur head coach is for. They recruit. Position coaches develop and support. Fine line.

Advertisement
The CIS opinion of the difficulty of the ACC has certainly changed since Mario joined the conference…
I think the only thing synonymous about the two is the same year Mandy got fired and Mario came in look at the turnover in staphs throughout the acc. Some very well regarded coaches came in and replaced the status quo. That's where I'd agree the acc has gotten better. But by saying better it's not like it's top 2 or even 3 yet. Conferences rely on QB play and acc isn't there yet.

When will someone stop blaming the parents and start blaming the teenager.

I’m using this as a metaphor for UM and I know this is gonna **** people off.

Too Many draft picks for too many years from sht p5 and G5 programs. All from head coaches and position coaches that no one on here can mention, name, or remember.

The nfl has starters at all positions from all the divisions in cfb.
But the university of Miami has failed at
1: evaluating
2: developing
3: scheming
4: retention of players
5: recruiting
5: beating teams that we’ve out-recruited by a mile.
6: actually win games where we are favored by a lot.

You’re telling that all those draft picks have had better position coaches and evaluators than Miami?
All those teams had better defensive or offensive schemes?

One year we lost 4 games where we were favored by more than 14 points.
If you’re telling me that that was 100 percent on coaching then you’re crazy.

Either there has been some side bets going on or other schools are breaking the 20hr rule by a mile and their compliance departments are in permanent vacation in the same exumas.

Or maybe they’re players GAF and actually have player lead workouts and film sessions and everyone is on board?

Maybe we should start holding team meetings and workouts at the local marathon gas stations.

Why is it that we have sucked at all of the above but other schools have succeeded.

Why do coaches that have had success somewhere else fail here.

Why do coaches that suck here win or develop somewhere else?

At some point there is a serious disconnect and the only variable left to point out is that the culture and players here are not preparing themselves the way they do at other places and are being influenced by something else that supersedes whatever dreams and aspirations they had to make it to the nfl.

The clowning and teasing of players that work hard is another one.

The constant posting of 1 or 2 highlights despite the entire team getting embarrassed screams of lack of cohesion and a total disregard for team unity.
I’m done with the blaming of coaches when players refuse to work extra.

Kj and D King saw what tf was going on tried to lay down the law and despite that, players were still calling X a kiss *** and coach’s pet.

If I was a coach I would say “I’m not here to save you”.
Don’t expect me to make you a day one pick with 20hrs a week.

The culture and the “I made it” attitude that has permeated this program should be obvious by now.

Now, the players don’t owe me or any of you sht. But when they can’t even fight for themselves then they deserve their udfa status.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not here to say any of the coaches that have been here for the past 20 years we’re gonna take us to the playoffs. But to put the blame entirely on them is very short sighted.

Advertisement
I think the only thing synonymous about the two is the same year Mandy got fired and Mario came in look at the turnover in staphs throughout the acc. Some very well regarded coaches came in and replaced the status quo. That's where I'd agree the acc has gotten better. But by saying better it's not like it's top 2 or even 3 yet. Conferences rely on QB play and acc isn't there yet.

The other being that Miami should be better than we have been in the conference whether it’s Manny, Mario, @coachmacho, etc…

Eh

. I don't know. It's hard to say. Can't really imagine SOOOOO many of these kids were bad evals when most were offered by just about everyone. What I'll say is our coaching during their time here simply let them down. Several positions we were developing to an extent but vast majority simply never developed kids. It's why I've never understood these fans on here who simply always scream such and such can't recruit... Well that's great and all but how does that person coach. Because we always need a balance of the two. That's what support staff and ur head coach is for. They recruit. Position coaches develop and support. Fine line.
Man, I've been beating the drum for who we get and how they don't pan out forever.

First off, we've whiffed on a ton of talent that would be game changers as a group. I don't fault them for not coming, why would they, and what have we shown as to why they should. It's no different than your basketball relative. It's not his scene with his skillset and there's far better options out there.

This place used to bring out the best in players. Now, it's where talent goes to die. There is simply no way we've whiffed on so many guys that had offers from as many places as they did.

We gotta show these kids we can matter come gameday. Otherwise the cycle will repeat itself. Nobody wants to play for a loser that doesn't produce draft picks. Sure, you'll get some, enough to compete better than we have, but not if the development and gameday coaching isn't on point.

Advertisement
Mario is a real coach. Look how many Oregon kids he got drafted. he finds talent and develops it. Manny was a glorified fan. Let's be real, if his dad wasn't mayor, he never coaches here. The guy coached like a kid playing madden just running all blitz every play. He carried himself like a make a wish kid who got to be coach for a day. Players and reporters have both told me "its just different" when Mario walks into a room. I had questions about Mario but when he went out of his comfort zone and hired Dawson, it showed me alot.

I am not going to bash richt because he was ill. I knew his last year something was off.

Eh

Great point…

Jordan Battle 3rd round
Kenny McIntosh 7th round

Josh Jobe undrafted last year

We went all in with these kids… they go to Bama and UGA and they’re drafted in similar spots that Miami kids have been going lately.

Great point…

Jordan Battle 3rd round
Kenny McIntosh 7th round

Josh Jobe undrafted last year

We went all in with these kids… they go to Bama and UGA and they’re drafted in similar spots that Miami kids have been going lately.
uga is developing better than BAMA. I dont think Saban is that amazing. the guy outbids everyone and doesnt play by the same rules.
He just zooms in last minute and gets the highest. rated kids. His players dont dominate the NFL. Kirby to me is a better developer.
Saban is great in many ways but when you dont have to worry about getting in trouble, it makes it easier.

I don’t think anyone will argue Miami is ultra talented right now, but we’re sure as **** talented enough to beat MTSU, Duke, UNC, and all the other ACC chumps who school us regularly. A big part of what makes a good coach great is how they get the most out of what they have. Last years team should have won 8 games minimum, not be the worst Miami team we’ve seen in 30 years.
This. I’m tired of the talent excuse. Nobody is saying we should have been able to stack up against Bama or Ohio State last year. But we should have **** well stacked up against Duke, Middle Tennessee, Pitt, UNC and FSU. How many players on those teams got drafted?

Advertisement
Back