Talent

I think the raw talent we have been getting has been way better than our record but our development is the killer and why our guys aren’t getting drafted.
Nobody wants to hear this but it’s just facts. Evaluation and development is key. We haven’t landed many sure thing s or five stars so low four stars and three stars need developed. You need talent , coaching / development and the ability to evaluate. They’re all important ingredients.

Advertisement
We can all agree or disagree about talent.

Talent is nothing if it isn't developed and put in a position to succeed.

We're on to the next coaches and if this type of stuff continues, I'll know where I'm looking.

We didn't need more than what we had last year to compete with some of those losses we had. The point differential from one year to the next with Manny at the helm is embarrassing for Mario.

The idea that we need all of this elite talent is needed, sure, it would be great. Can we just have someone though who gets more out of their players than the coach we're facing that Saturday. Mario and his guys got nothing out of last year's team. He didn't earn his salary and he burnt the players on the field.
100000%^^^^

Mario is likely the better long term solution vs Manny but he needs to focus on what’s he’s good at, recruiting and OL stuff. Stay far far away from offensive play calling and philosophy because he is NOT(and never was) a great offensive mind.

No question. Whatever happened last year was downright pathetic and Mario is to blame.

But it doesn’t ignore the lack of talent we possessed though. For the past 4 years our best players and draftees were transfers outside of GR15.

We lacked evaluation, coaching, and development. A complete strike out by Richt and Manny. Till this day Al ****** Golden evaluated, recruited, and developed the best since Butch. No question about it. And that’s beyond pathetic when you consider his tenure here and other places.

If we want to beat ACC teams we are going to need more Pro potential players. If we are going to compete with the big boys we are going need more sure fire high draft pick type guys.

Everyone with a lick of common sense pleaded with Cristobal when he was hired to bring in a spread OC to get the most out of TVD and whatever talent there may have been on the roster. He chose not to. We then had one of the worst seasons ever. He then decided to go to a spread this year, which is as close to a confession as you are going to get that Cristobal made a colossal mistake with his first OC hire, so you can't honestly judge the talent in the roster when the HC and OC set up the players for failure.

It's a pathetic, lame excuse to go from having a top 25 offense for 2 years in a row to claiming that a 5 win season and literally one one of the worst offenses in all cfb is the handiwork of the previous HCs. I'm not buying it.

For example, if Cristobal had given TVD a spread OC, I think there would have been a decent chance he would have followed his 2021 campaign with another outstanding season and be a 2nd round pick or better. Instead TVD looked like he wasn't even good enough to be a G5 backup QB in the Cristo-bro offense.

If the situation had been the opposite and Cristobal had taken a bottom of the barrel offense and turned them into a top 25 O, not a single person on this forum would have given any credit to Diaz or Richt for finding the players. Every one would say Cristobal should be lauded for getting the most out of the limited talent on the roster. You can't have it both ways, where a new HC only gets credit for good things and gets to blame bad things on the previous HCs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To add to that, where is the talent from on those teams that whooped our ***..

MTSU
Duke
FSU

Those games weren't close.

Pitt had 1, but again we were whooped.

UNC, close, but no draft pick in the criteria you selected.

Criminal work by Mario and company.
I love when people bring up this argument.

Outside of a a few players, MTSU, Duke, FSU, etc have more talent overall.

WE HAD A TEAM FULL OF SCRUBS!

Obviously Gattis didn’t help, but Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban, and Bear Bryant wouldn’t win these guys.

I’m not 100% sold on Mario, but people are really overestimating out talent.

8 win team? How many times have we won 8 or more in the last 20?

Beating a dead horse, but once again the NFL draft shows the lack of talent we have.

Illinois (x2)
Texas tech
Northwestern
Iowa State
Mississippi State
Pittsburg
TCU (x2)
Boston college
Maryland
Utah
Kansas State (x2)
Kentucky
Syracuse
Oregon State
Georgia Tech
North Dakota State
Michigan St
UCLA
SMU

All before Tyrique Stevenson in the 2nd round. And he transferred in here.

By the begging of the 5th round, many of the schools above had multiple players drafted. We have no more than 1…

The roster prior to Mario was at a group of 5 level maybe even worse.
Our program has sucked for real. Looking forward to having multiple Day 1 and Day 2 talent on a yearly basis.

When he came in as a Freshman I thought he was a 1st round talent.
Nahh… he was already light in the chops for a TE prospect and was in a offense that didn’t require any in line blocking from so he was already behind the 8 ball from a developmental standpoint there.

He had excellent straight line speed then just like he does now… and great height.

Everything he needed to improve on coming out of high school he still needs to improve on.

In the 5th round I think Indy will probably be best served flexing him and let him be great at what he does well.

Advertisement
"...but we’re sure as **** talented enough to beat MTSU, Duke, UNC, and all the other ACC chumps who school us regularly..."
No Miami wasn't and very well may still not be. Just delusional of all of us to think differently.

The gap is much closer between middling/lower tier P5 and G5 than most want to admit.

I do believe Miami is headed towards an upper tier echelon, just patience.

Prepare yourself emotionally for Y2 of Big Manny.

Advertisement
Not necessarily evals, he couldn't land top talent for a number of reasons.

Cold hard truth.
Evals mean you eyeball somebody that some don’t see. You see their potential and what they can be with coaching , his evals were god awful. Some of the worst I’ve seen. There’s programs that survive purely on evaluations then developing those guys.

Advertisement
C18C8C94-7931-4C7D-A387-0B93525C0CC5.jpeg

Speaking of talent and evals… this one is gonna sting for a minute. Smh.

I love when people bring up this argument.

Outside of a a few players, MTSU, Duke, FSU, etc have more talent overall.

WE HAD A TEAM FULL OF SCRUBS!

Obviously Gattis didn’t help, but Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban, and Bear Bryant wouldn’t win these guys.

I’m not 100% sold on Mario, but people are really overestimating out talent.

8 win team? How many times have we won 8 or more in the last 20?

Seriously?

I've gotta go do some things, but there's no way you believe half of what you typed up.

I do have time for one thing though.

Scrubs under Manny against Duke. 47-10
Scrubs under Mario against Duke. 45-21

That's a 61 point swing, many of the same players. New coaches on both sides. Are the players scrubs or did one team get a scrub coach and staff?

Advertisement
Back