Sweet 16!!

The split allegiance thing always cracks me up.

The only possible scenario where I personally wouldn't deem it 1000% ghey is if you grew up a Canes football fan and then went to college at a basketball school like Nova or Gonzaga or St. Johns or some ****. And I deem basketball schools as those that don't have anything resembling a D-1 football program. Otherwise you need to choose between the college you went to or remaining 100% Cane loyal- with conventional wisdom actually being in favor of being loyal to your actual alma mater (not that I don't love the Canes fans that stayed true through 4 years in Tally or that ****hole in north central Florida).

Advertisement
I love how some people feel like they have a right to determine what a real cane fan is.

My mom worked for wake forest for 30 plus years. I grew up with season tickets and going to every wake basketball game. Im a fan of wake basketball but my first LOVE is miami football. I COULD HAVE GONE ANYWHERE for my bachelor party but i went to Miami for the canes vs gators game. 95% of my sports gear is canes stuff.

If it makes you feel better to define who is a real Cane and who isnt. Then by all means go ahead. I couldn't care less.

We have sucked for a decade!!!!!!! If you are still a cane fan after this long then you are a REAL CANE! JUST MY OPINION

crossover22[]_[];2511700 said:
I love how some people feel like they have a right to determine what a real cane fan is.

Its called having an opinion. Kind of what people do on messages boards, express their opinions.

Gotta love the posters that say they're Canes fans, but cheer for other teams in basketball and baseball.

And the media dares call city of Miami fans bandwagoners. You can't make this stuff up.

I grew up in S. FL and was all Miami but never paid attention or even saw a Miami basketball game, let alone paid a bit of attention to college basketball in general. I moved to North Carolina and football was an afterthought for the people there. I didn't follow it at first, but when the ACC Tournament would happen, televisions in the classrooms at the schools would turn on and learning anything stopped immediately. The same was true for the NCAA tournament. It was bizarre and had I stayed in S. FL, I doubt I would've ever developed an appreciation for the sport.

Fast forward some years and having lived in the two biggest states for basketball, IMO, North Carolina hoops fans are second to none. People grow up all over the country falling into fandom at whatever stage in their life to various things. It's pompous and ignorant as **** to question anyone being a fan of anything. Generally fandom is determined by exposure, through family, friends, the school you attend, grew up watching, or whatever. Every story is unique, so take that Silly super fan stuff elsewhere.

Edit: My team is still in the dance and it's awesome Miami is as well. When they face off yearly, it's a win no matter who comes out on top. Coach L, I didn't think he'd be here again so quickly after our last run, but the man can coach. It's crazy to think he had to pursue the job.

LOL. I knew this chick was a full-fledged clump. She just confirmed it for the 10000th time.

Advertisement
Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

The front-runners that jumped on the UM football wagon when they thought it made them look cool and rebellious to their classmates don't understand that simple fact about college athletics.

Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

Exactly .

You all must be speaking for yourselves then, which is ok. Could care less about an athletic department. I only care about the football program since they beat the **** out of notre dame in 85. Their basketball team wasnt good then, or was even on the tv out here on the west coast. I don't hate on the basketball team at all, only time i cheer against them is when they play the heels. Just like i could give a **** about unc's football team(which i cant stand now due to the ***** that mocked the U last year).

crossover22[]_[];2511700 said:

Its called having an opinion. Kind of what people do on messages boards, express their opinions.

Its called. Trying to be a internet tough guy. IM A BETTER FAN THEN YOU........

Most of these fans that try to determine who is a real cane werent even around to see the canes in the 80s

Advertisement
You cheer for another team against the canes in any sport then you are a cumstain and not a real canes fan. That's an indisputable fact.

I'm 28, born in Chicago, lived in Nola and atl then raised in VA. since I was a kid the only team I ever liked were the canes. I never gave a fuq about college baseball till I fell in love with the canes. Didnt even Think about march madness until the canes.

I'm all cane all day. Never lived in Florida ever. People think I'm crazy because I donate to the school and root for all the sports teams.

I always tell them, I'm a fan of the university. It's awkward AF to be a fan of 3 different schools in 3 different sports. My family is die hard illini, bulls, cubs and sox. I hate all those teams..

All I care about is this U

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dam I didn't know Miami had to be the only team you could root for
You can root for whoever you want to root for. You're just not a real UM fan if you'd root for any program against UM in any sport.

You can be a good guy and a good dad and all that other ****. You just can't be a real UM fan.

Alumni status aside (whole different animal; do you root for undergrad always, i.e., like Little Marco?) fandom can be strange, especially when there are multiple teams in an area playing different sports. Mets fan as a kid and my best friend and I would harass a big Yankee fan from spring through summer. Then hockey season came around; fellow Met fan revealed himself a fan of the hated Rangers and I and my new found Islander fan friend (yes, the Yankee fan) would give it to him...

I guess we never truly grow up when it comes to sports :busmoon:

Dam I didn't know Miami had to be the only team you could root for
You can root for whoever you want to root for. You're just not a real UM fan if you'd root for any program against UM in any sport.

You can be a good guy and a good dad and all that other ****. You just can't be a real UM fan.
That I understand but some dudes in here make it seem like rooting for any team period somehow revokes your Canes card. But yea, I would never go against Miami in anything. Even when playing my Duke ball team.

Last edited:
I root for Miami and UNC in all sports. I didn't forsee Miami joining the ACC. Just by reading the basketball board, a lot of folks don't follow the basketball team, until they get in the top 15.

Advertisement
Back