Sweet 16!!

Gotta love the posters that say they're Canes fans, but cheer for other teams in basketball and baseball.

And the media dares call city of Miami fans bandwagoners. You can't make this stuff up.

If you don't agree with masses you're a loser remember that fellas. Lol

Advertisement
Gotta love the posters that say they're Canes fans, but cheer for other teams in basketball and baseball.

And the media dares call city of Miami fans bandwagoners. You can't make this stuff up.

I grew up in S. FL and was all Miami but never paid attention or even saw a Miami basketball game, let alone paid a bit of attention to college basketball in general. I moved to North Carolina and football was an afterthought for the people there. I didn't follow it at first, but when the ACC Tournament would happen, televisions in the classrooms at the schools would turn on and learning anything stopped immediately. The same was true for the NCAA tournament. It was bizarre and had I stayed in S. FL, I doubt I would've ever developed an appreciation for the sport.

Fast forward some years and having lived in the two biggest states for basketball, IMO, North Carolina hoops fans are second to none. People grow up all over the country falling into fandom at whatever stage in their life to various things. It's pompous and ignorant as **** to question anyone being a fan of anything. Generally fandom is determined by exposure, through family, friends, the school you attend, grew up watching, or whatever. Every story is unique, so take that Silly super fan stuff elsewhere.

Edit: My team is still in the dance and it's awesome Miami is as well. When they face off yearly, it's a win no matter who comes out on top. Coach L, I didn't think he'd be here again so quickly after our last run, but the man can coach. It's crazy to think he had to pursue the job.

Last edited:
Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

Advertisement

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

Exactly .

Exactly .

Yes. I grew up in Miami, never attended the U but support it in all sports.

Exactly .

Yes. I grew up in Miami, never attended the U but support it in all sports.

True cane then, it is where your heart is, and that is root for the canes in all sports. It is not about where you went to school,but you are 100% true by rooting for the Canes in sports programs. It's a cane thing!

Advertisement

I grew up in S. FL and was all Miami but never paid attention or even saw a Miami basketball game, let alone paid a bit of attention to college basketball in general. I moved to North Carolina and football was an afterthought for the people there. I didn't follow it at first, but when the ACC Tournament would happen, televisions in the classrooms at the schools would turn on and learning anything stopped immediately. The same was true for the NCAA tournament. It was bizarre and had I stayed in S. FL, I doubt I would've ever developed an appreciation for the sport.

Fast forward some years and having lived in the two biggest states for basketball, IMO, North Carolina hoops fans are second to none. People grow up all over the country falling into fandom at whatever stage in their life to various things. It's pompous and ignorant as **** to question anyone being a fan of anything. Generally fandom is determined by exposure, through family, friends, the school you attend, grew up watching, or whatever. Every story is unique, so take that Silly super fan stuff elsewhere.

Edit: MY TEAM (not Miami) is still in the dance and it's awesome Miami is as well. When they face off yearly, it's a win no matter who comes out on top. Coach L, I didn't think he'd be here again so quickly after our last run, but the man can coach. It's crazy to think he had to pursue the job.

Not a cane

Go flock yourself

Edit: My team is still in the dance and it's awesome Miami is as well. When they face off yearly, it's a win no matter who comes out on top. Coach L, I didn't think he'd be here again so quickly after our last run, but the man can coach. It's crazy to think he had to pursue the job.

You admit you are a fan, but not a cane.

Its the difference between being a fan and being a Cane. You can stop being a fan and go root for other teams. You can never stop being a Cane.

Its the difference between being a fan and being a Cane. You can stop being a fan and go root for other teams. You can never stop being a Cane.

Exactly This^
I Live in NJ, I root for The Canes in every sport! Even if they played penuckle!!

Advertisement
We've got some real superfans in here. By some definitions, a lot of those superfans aren't real fans either as fans support the team through good and bad, never saying a bad word about anything on the team while always picking our team to win it all and go undefeated. When that happens though, I've seen these same superfans label that person a homer, slurper, or whatever the cute little phrase of the day is.

Just like life, nobody determines what you are. Labels are for losers who think labeling someone other than themselves makes them superior in some way. You want to support Miami in football, someone else in baseball, and another team in basketball by all means do so. ****, when we were losing football games the main brag point became academics. When we were winning, you never heard a peep about it. Now that basketball is doing well, there's all the closet fans coming out of the woodwork when prior to that most didn't even know a single players name....almost as if we didn't have a team.

Half the football board are Duke and Kentucky fans.

Duke fan but its good to see the Canes win. I want to see them go as far as possible.

Example A of sports fan douchebaggery.

Goes to GSU, roots for Miami football and Duke basketball. Makes perfect sense.

That's almost as bad as [MENTION=270]SFbayCane[/MENTION] rooting for Miami and FSU.

SFbay Cane can root for FSU as he might have someone going there. I have no problem with them winning as my son goes there and the school has done right by him. I dont openly root for them but dont get upset if they win.

Advertisement
We've got some real superfans in here. By some definitions, a lot of those superfans aren't real fans either as fans support the team through good and bad, never saying a bad word about anything on the team while always picking our team to win it all and go undefeated. When that happens though, I've seen these same superfans label that person a homer, slurper, or whatever the cute little phrase of the day is.

Just like life, nobody determines what you are. Labels are for losers who think labeling someone other than themselves makes them superior in some way. You want to support Miami in football, someone else in baseball, and another team in basketball by all means do so. ****, when we were losing football games the main brag point became academics. When we were winning, you never heard a peep about it. Now that basketball is doing well, there's all the closet fans coming out of the woodwork when prior to that most didn't even know a single players name....almost as if we didn't have a team.

Great post as I have been going to Canes games since 1963 and lived through at lot worse than the last 10 years. I didnt miss a home game in 70's when we won a total of 41 games. The average poster here would have disappeared back then and gone elsewhere. My signature says it all.

Great post as I have been going to Canes games since 1963 and lived through at lot worse than the last 10 years. I didnt miss a home game in 70's when we won a total of 41 games. The average poster here would have disappeared back then and gone elsewhere. My signature says it all.

I was in the Miami Beach Auditorium following the likes of **** hickok and then rick barry. Special for a young kid growing, so there are many true canes win or lose.

Good deal Joe. You've been through it all.

I've said I haven't bought any Canes stuff or attended a game since late last decade, but that didn't stop me from being a fan. I said in today's time you speak with your wallet, at least that's how I feel.

Still, if someone wanted to still attend, donate, or whatever....who am I to tell them to spend their money. I didn't agree with the banners as what started out with good intentions, became an internet bragging point or chest bumping activity. Sure some of the things flown were funny, but some crossed a bit of a line, but again it was whoever's money.

I'm at a game or a bar, someone identifies themselves as a fan, cool....you're a brother to me. When I lived down there, I went to most home games thanks to family and some away. When I moved away, I went to some home games and a lot of away on my own dime as they're all away games now.

I don't need anyone's approval as I know what I am. There's no criteria that makes one a fan or not. People aren't fans of women's soccer by and large, but when they made their World Cup run they were out in droves. By some definitions they were bandwagon fans, but what I saw was support and people getting behind something exciting. Seats in stands aren't defined by anything other than a price and those that own them don't care if you've sat in them before or a hundred times. They're just happy to have someone there, in whatever degree of support.

Edit: All this division or rivalry on who or what defines a fan is stupid. Our great times, people were sporting the Miami logo because it was cool and that's what built the brand. If people didn't care or jump on board then, we may have gone the way Sports Illustrated wished we would. Seeing people energized about something is what matters, little else.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back