Sweet 16!!

What's funny is most of the " fans of two colleges " are fans of historic basketball ball powerhouses.

So you grew up rooting for arguably one of the best college football program but also pull for one of the best college bball programs? It's almost like hedging your bets . It's so *** I can't put into words .

naaaaaah. I can see if you were changing teams when your main team became trash. Like when my bulls became doo doo when jordan left and then became a laker fan like mostly everyone. But if you are a fan of teams that are historically good, and you've been a fan for over 20 years of those same teams, then oh well, then you are a fan of dope teams. But if you a sissy and change at the first sign of looking like they will suck for a while, then i would agree.
Exactly.....
What's funny is most of the " fans of two colleges " are fans of historic basketball ball powerhouses.

So you grew up rooting for arguably one of the best college football program but also pull for one of the best college bball programs? It's almost like hedging your bets . It's so *** I can't put into words .

naaaaaah. I can see if you were changing teams when your main team became trash. Like when my bulls became doo doo when jordan left and then became a laker fan like mostly everyone. But if you are a fan of teams that are historically good, and you've been a fan for over 20 years of those same teams, then oh well, then you are a fan of dope teams. But if you a sissy and change at the first sign of looking like they will suck for a while, then i would agree.

It's the point of being a fan of difffrect colleges in different sports . Majority of fans pull for a school , because they either grew up that way or went to school there . I just roll my eyes at the Miami football / Kentucky bball fan. It makes zero sense . They obviously are front runners , that wanted a football power to brag about during football then the same for bball .

If they only knew most people are laughing at them . Which is fine , whatever floats your boat . Just like its my right to view you as a fraud fan.

When Richt gets the football program humming again I'll have the best of one world. Great at three major programs
This doesn't apply to everyone. I became a Duke fan as a child and was just starting to really understand sports. Then my dad bleeds orange and green so naturally I took up after him. I'm just a sports fanatic so my love for UM includes everything UM.

Advertisement
Let me get this straight.

Im a wake forest basketball fan. A TEAM THAT HAS NEVER WON ANYTHING!!!!!! my mom had season tickets while i grew up and she worked there for 30 years. It wasnt my choice to go as a kid. It was my parents choice.

So wouldnt i be a bandwagon fan to leave wake forest and jump on the miami train now that they are good???

Explain how im a bandwagon fan please.

My freshman year at Miami I ran into a guy I knew from Indiana (I am from Indianapolis). We were both students at Miami and we were playing Notre Dame that year. Not only was he rooting for Notre Dame, he was talking ****. I may not agree with people rooting for teams from different sports, but I understand it. Being a student at the school and rooting against the team, that I do not understand. Maybe, if I had gone to grad school somewhere else, I would root for the Canes against my current school. But undergrad? Hello no.

crossover22[]_[];2512103 said:

Im a wake forest basketball fan. A TEAM THAT HAS NEVER WON ANYTHING!!!!!! my mom had season tickets while i grew up and she worked there for 30 years. It wasnt my choice to go as a kid. It was my parents choice.

So wouldnt i be a bandwagon fan to leave wake forest and jump on the miami train now that they are good???

If you started out as a Weak Florist fan and still pull for them, then if you weren't a front-runner you'd be a WF fan in every sport.

Amazing when I hear about bandwagon fans as we have always had many of them. What really mazes me is how many at Pro Player will spend hundreds on car flags and magnets but not buy the Hurricane Plate issued by the state of Florida that costs 30.00 a year extra. I guess it is too easy to remove flags and magnets after a loss and hide allegiance whereas if you have the tag you show your colors year round. Just an observation.

Advertisement

If you started out as a Weak Florist fan and still pull for them, then if you weren't a front-runner you'd be a WF fan in every sport.

Did you see wake forest football in the 80s?

I was introduced to miami football in 87-88 by my close friend at the time from miami. His father was moved to winston salem for his job. After baseball on Saturdays we went to his house and watched miami football. I was 5 years old. You dont know what being a bandwagon fan is at 5 years old. You just know if you like a team or not. During those same years i went to every wake basketball game because i was taken to them by my parents.

Im sorry but at 5 years old you dont know about following a front runner. I became a fan because of my experiences as a child. Ive stuck with both teams through good and bad. Never jumped from one to the other. Thats being a TRUE fan!

And then you grow up and become a Wake Forest or Miami fan. The rest is just weak excuse making. Otherwise, you can come up with gey excuses like you weren't breast fed, so you have to root for Weak Florist in basketball. Root for another team against Miami: you're not a fan. Case closed.

crossover22[]_[];2512190 said:

Did you see wake forest football in the 80s?
!
You just proved the point that you're a front-runner.

Gotta love the posters that say they're Canes fans, but cheer for other teams in basketball and baseball.

And the media dares call city of Miami fans bandwagoners. You can't make this stuff up.

I grew up in S. FL and was all Miami but never paid attention or even saw a Miami basketball game, let alone paid a bit of attention to college basketball in general. I moved to North Carolina and football was an afterthought for the people there. I didn't follow it at first, but when the ACC Tournament would happen, televisions in the classrooms at the schools would turn on and learning anything stopped immediately. The same was true for the NCAA tournament. It was bizarre and had I stayed in S. FL, I doubt I would've ever developed an appreciation for the sport.

Fast forward some years and having lived in the two biggest states for basketball, IMO, North Carolina hoops fans are second to none. People grow up all over the country falling into fandom at whatever stage in their life to various things. It's pompous and ignorant as **** to question anyone being a fan of anything. Generally fandom is determined by exposure, through family, friends, the school you attend, grew up watching, or whatever. Every story is unique, so take that Silly super fan stuff elsewhere.

Edit: My team is still in the dance and it's awesome Miami is as well. When they face off yearly, it's a win no matter who comes out on top. Coach L, I didn't think he'd be here again so quickly after our last run, but the man can coach. It's crazy to think he had to pursue the job.

You grew up in Miami and aren't a Miami b-ball fan. You suck at life even more than I thought,

Advertisement
Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

Exactly .

You all must be speaking for yourselves then, which is ok. Could care less about an athletic department. I only care about the football program since they beat the **** out of notre dame in 85. Their basketball team wasnt good then, or was even on the tv out here on the west coast. I don't hate on the basketball team at all, only time i cheer against them is when they play the heels. Just like i could give a **** about unc's football team(which i cant stand now due to the ***** that mocked the U last year).

No, we're living in reality. The University of Miami is not a ******* football team. I went to every basketball game the year Miami was 0-18 in the Big East. Why? Because I'm a fan of the program. I grew up at the Light, in the OB and at the Knight Center/Miami Arena. Do whatever you want, but you're going to get called on it, and you should.

crossover22[]_[];2511909 said:
This debate cracks me up.

Its like saying you have to be a fan of nfl or nba team in your state. Or you are not a real fan.

No, see it's not. THIS ISN'T PROFESSIONAL SPORTS. How hard is that to understand?

Exactly

Advertisement
Yall do realize that all canes football fans aren't from Miami or Florida, or went to the university .... So who gives a **** who they cheer for in basketball.

Because it's not a pro team. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami. It's an athletic department, and an athletic program. You don't choose one form column A, one from column B, one from column C. Miami has all those sports, so you root for Miami in all of those sports.

Exactly .

You all must be speaking for yourselves then, which is ok. Could care less about an athletic department. I only care about the football program since they beat the **** out of notre dame in 85. Their basketball team wasnt good then, or was even on the tv out here on the west coast. I don't hate on the basketball team at all, only time i cheer against them is when they play the heels. Just like i could give a **** about unc's football team(which i cant stand now due to the ***** that mocked the U last year).

No, we're living in reality. The University of Miami is not a ****ing football team. I went to every basketball game the year Miami was 0-18 in the Big East. Why? Because I'm a fan of the program. I grew up at the Light, in the OB and at the Knight Center/Miami Arena. Do whatever you want, but you're going to get called on it, and you should.

I used to go when we played at the Miami arena. I love it because the metrorail stopped right by the stadium and I could get good seats. Watched Danny Ferry drop 56 points on us.

Exactly .

No, we're living in reality. The University of Miami is not a ****ing football team. I went to every basketball game the year Miami was 0-18 in the Big East. Why? Because I'm a fan of the program. I grew up at the Light, in the OB and at the Knight Center/Miami Arena. Do whatever you want, but you're going to get called on it, and you should.

I used to go when we played at the Miami arena. I love it because the metrorail stopped right by the stadium and I could get good seats. Watched Danny Ferry drop 56 points on us.

I was there too. Also there when we beat Scooter Barry's Kansas team the year after they won the national title.

Advertisement
Exactly .

I was there too. Also there when we beat Scooter Barry's Kansas team the year after they won the national title.

Ricky Calloway gave my buddy the finger during a Kansas game not sure if it was that game.

Exactly .

No, we're living in reality. The University of Miami is not a ******* football team. I went to every basketball game the year Miami was 0-18 in the Big East. Why? Because I'm a fan of the program. I grew up at the Light, in the OB and at the Knight Center/Miami Arena. Do whatever you want, but you're going to get called on it, and you should.

Naaaah. That's u and a couple other folks..... It's not bandwagon when that's ur first and only team(not school) but team you ever cheered for. Loo up definition of Bandwagon.

I have no problem with people who root for another bball power.

But don't get mad when I call you a bandwagoner, cause that is exactly what you are.

This fan base was built on the backs of bandwagon fans. I'd bet half this board didn't got to Miami or even grow up in the area. Something made them a fan though and that's good enough for me.

Still laughing at people acting as if there's a checklist for being a fan of anything.

So then by this you're kind of saying that people like me, who aren't from Miami or the area and didn't attend Miami are bandwagon fans? Cool, didn't know I had to do one or the other. Considering being from north of the border, this is the only team that's ever had my allegiance in the NCAA. Being surrounded by fans of Notre Dame, Michigan, Syracuse, one of my best friends is all FSU ( I don't know he must not have been loved enough). This school is always been what's right by me. I always dreamed of going to Miami, playing there, and knowing it wouldn't happen didn't deter me from The U.

**** the first memory I have of watching college football was the 2002 National Championship. But that's not why I love Miami, I was brought to Miami as an infant and my grandfather bought me some Miami pj's shortly before he passed. As I got older I saw the logo more and it was just like yup that's my school, that's my team.

Nah, you're a fan and that's good enough for me. The didn't go to school here is something other schools throw against us a lot, in particular since half of my life I've lived out of state. Cool story about the pajamas. My grandfather just turned 95 this past Saturday.

Advertisement
Back