Stop recruiting small towns

Time to give DVD a try at CB coach. He can recruit, played in the NFL and he knows SoFla. Miami having only five scholarship CBs is almost as bad as Coker playing a punter at WR because WR recruiting was crap towards the end of his tenure.

Let's hope we don't sustain injuries or have a COVID outbreak in the CB room or this season goes to crap really fast. Poor job of roster management by the coaching staff. Good luck having competitive practices when you only have five CBs.

Advertisement
South FL CB's since 2010 we signed or had committed at one point.

Keion Payne DIDN"T HE MOVE TO S AND DISSAPEAR?
Thomas Finnie HIDE YOUR LAPTOP
Tracy Howard IIGHT
Vernon Davis TRANSFER
Larry Hope TRANSFER
Nate Dortch TRANSFER
Ryan Mayes TRANSFER
Sheldrick Redwine SUCKED AT CB, GOOD S
Terrance Henley TRANSFER
Malek Young TRAGEDY
Trajan Bandy IIGHT
Al Blades JR IIGHT
DJ ivey DOOKIE
Nigel Bethel TRANSFER
Tecory Couch WHO DAT?

DECOMMITS

Akeem Dent TRASH
Jarvis Brownlee IDK
Josh Jobe HES LIKE 25 and STILL ****
CJ Henderson HE STILL WEARS SIZE 21 JEANS
Tyler Belly Button Byrd *****MADE
Deion Jackson IDK
James Wiggins IDK
Dennis Turner TRASH

Don't know how, but you forgot about the best Corner since 2010. From the crib of all places.

It’s an interesting discussion. I often disagree with D$ on recruiting discussions because he tends to focus (my sense) on rules (i.e., avoid small town kids) and I tend to focus on judgment (evals) and processes (as my recruiting process thread described back when manny was hired).

The link here is you do need some lenses to prioritize effort. Local focus is one. Rural markets can be another. I do not have an issue with that if it’s thoughtfully applied. Of course, in the absence of disciplined, effective processes, it doesn’t really matter. Manny is suspect enough as a recruiter that telling him not to spend time on rural kids strikes me as akin to training wheels. Helpful when he’s learning the job, but not something he should need to rely on of he’s a grow-up evaluator.

Tell that to Ohio State. They currently have SEVEN players from the NYC and the surrounding suburbs (NY/LI/Westchester)! I guess it's worth their time.

Plenty of tough good CFB players come from the NYC area. No one is saying its Florida, but its a tight geographical area you can cherry pick, and those kids fit in well here usually.

OSU, MICH, PSU have been recruiting NY hard forever. UGA even got a 5-star from BK a couple of classes ago. But what do they know?

Some great NY players have played at Miami. Vinny Testaverde, Leon Williams, Stephen Maguire. Right now we have Harrison-Hunte, Blissett, and ElGammal. The word is good on Harrison-Hunte and Blissett already.

And recently Erasmus has been cranking out national recruits. I'd kill for us to get more involved there.
There are talented players all over the map. The key is you have to focus and prioritize. Miami is a credible sell to NY area kids for a few reasons. No issue if they want to try to focus on that. But again, focus. You have to do this consistently, over years. Build relationships with HS coaches. Pay them to help at your camps. Ohio State isn’t messing around. They play to win. Miami can do NYC, but it tends to prefer to window shop and navel gaze, and predictible results ensue.

The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

But you never mentioned the amount of country boys we have had total in that time lol. And how many transferred or were busts. How many transferred that are from large towns? What’s the ratio of small to large town kids that transferred. Without that data, argument is flawed. And are you saying Williams left because he was homesick or because we are playing 💩 in front of him and no matter how bad 💩 plays he still gets to keep his job? And even then, homesick is still not a good example as we are still in a pandemic and kids are catching Covid left and right on college campuses. Players are leaving many schools to be closer to home.

Advertisement
Don't know how, but you forgot about the best Corner since 2010. From the crib of all places.
Youre right i mixed up Artie burns with Bush when i was skimming the list. For some reason i thought he played safety here. Tried to leave off all the cb to s converts messed that one up.

Time to give DVD a try at CB coach. He can recruit, played in the NFL and he knows SoFla. Miami having only five scholarship CBs is almost as bad as Coker playing a punter at WR because WR recruiting was crap towards the end of his tenure.

Let's hope we don't sustain injuries or have a COVID outbreak in the CB room or this season goes to crap really fast. Poor job of roster management by the coaching staff. Good luck having competitive practices when you only have five CBs.

Dumph had all those qualifications and more coaching experience than DVD and failed miserably. No thanks! No more guys learning on the job here! We need proven coaches everywhere. LSU DB coach only makes 460k a year.. give him a 100k raise if you want to win! And he still would not be highest paid DB coach in the nation.

But you never mentioned the amount of country boys we have had total in that time lol.
That's part of the problem. We struggle to get them in the door.

Romello Height is the most recent example.

Advertisement
I’m fine with your premise, but imo it’s still about evals. Shockey was a small town kid. Cortez Kennedy was.

We can use ‘lenses’ to filter recruiting, but it doesn’t matter if we can’t evaluate kids well enough, and motivate them properly. When I say eval, it includes personality, fit and culture, not just speed or size. Your stats are noteworthy, but we’ve also whiffed on city kids too.

Now that Reed is around the program, maybe promote dvd and ask rumph to move on.
Right. The issue is Rumph recruiting period. Heck, Williams lasted longer than Nigel Bethel. What I wanna know is exactly why Williams is leaving. Is he homesick and is it a cultural thing? OR is he ****ed because he sees how bad Ivey sucks and thinks he’s earned a shot to play? If it’s the later then not only is Rumph the worst CB recruiter in UM history, he’s a lame duck coach as well.

This is why it’s important to look at the results over the course of a decade.
In your OP you alluded to the fact that most of our drafted players are from Miami/SFL.

But with context, that’s not surprising considering half our roster is from South Florida and at least 75% is from in-state; of course we’ll have more drafted players from the area.

I’m not staying there’s no precedent or that your point has no basis, but Christian Williams is not the hill to die in imo because the CB room is so clearly mismanaged and he’s a victim of it.

Not to mention, one of those SoFlo guys in the CB room who is somehow still starting is going to cost us games this season.

There’s hella good DB’s in our country, with a bigger emphasis on SoFlo of course. That said, the main problem is not location, but prospect evaluation.

I’m not staying there’s no precedent or that your point has no basis, but Christian Williams is not the hill to die in imo because the CB room is so clearly mismanaged and he’s a victim of it.

The CB room is mismanaged. Williams is not a victim. Both are true. If Ivey got benched, Couch would go in. He finished well ahead of Williams.

Advertisement
Thats a myth. Michael Jackson was playing from he hit the dirt here. He was on special team units and taking late reps just like Christian Williams was. ( he played more than williams and behind better players than williams currently is)

This was the projection I had for Williams. He just had to keep working and getting better like Jackson did.

I think Williams was homesick and got upset when Couch separated from him in fall camp.

The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

I don't think it has anything to do with if you're from a small town or the city. It's the attitude of the kid, who he is and what he can/can't handle.

Some kids from small towns want out and dream of big cities. Others enjoy the small town vibe and want to keep things slower in their lives. Kids don't choose where they grow up or where they can afford to live. It's the coaches responsibility to talk to kids during the process and figure out who they are as people......not only to see who will fit into your locker room culture and buy into what you're building, but also the local area and school environment. Using broad strokes will only reduce the size of your net and potentially lead to missing on talent.

I think D$'s got a good point, and a stronger one from esf applies also.

I think we have to especially be on the look for guys like Brevin who don't immediately make sense until you evaluate closer..... super swaggy kid in an area not known for football but a program that put a tremendous value on football. That guy was made in the lab for Miami.

I think that's the mold. Swaggy kids who are in real football-passionate areas without SEC influence. When I say swaggy I don't mean guys who wear 40 wrist bands and talk trash after giving up an 8 yard catch, I mean guys who enjoy knocking the **** out of people down after down after down and then telling them about it.

Miami, Houston, Dallas, DC/VA, are the natural areas for this to my eyes - but there are places/programs around the country that make sense too, despite their surroundings. NY/NJ kids make sense if they are legit football-rabid kids despite being in a basketball area. If you hit Loiusiana or Georgia you better be sure there isn't some SEC-humping head coach/parent waiting to steal the show on NSD. Of course they produce incredible athletes but it comes at a cost.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ehh.....We just have to pray that MNW, Miami Central, or Chaminade produce some great corners over the next few cycles...

That's part of the problem. We struggle to get them in the door.

Romello Height is the most recent example.

So that does not mean we should stop trying to get them. We should try harder. Obviously country families will take the bag more often cause well, they need it and that could be why we struggle to get them boys here. But you were saying stop even attempting. Just cause a few 10s turn you down you don’t stop chasing them so why should we stop too? Lol

Just cause a few 10s turn you down you don’t stop chasing them so why should we stop too? Lol

You don’t stop chasing 10s. But maybe you go to the clubs where you’ve had more success. There are only so many hours in a day.

Advertisement
Back