Stop recruiting small towns

Dumph had all those qualifications and more coaching experience than DVD and failed miserably. No thanks! No more guys learning on the job here! We need proven coaches everywhere. LSU DB coach only makes 460k a year.. give him a 100k raise if you want to win! And he still would not be highest paid DB coach in the nation.
I agree. We need to get someone proven as a recruiter and proven to be able to develop DBs. But I've seen this movie before with Miami. I seriously doubt they pay market rate for a proven guy.

Advertisement
The CB room is mismanaged. Williams is not a victim. Both are true. If Ivey got benched, Couch would go in. He finished well ahead of Williams.
I’m sure you know more than I do regarding Williams’s pecking order so I won’t argue that. But regardless of whether you’re 2nd or 4th, you definitely deserve some game snaps against UAB imo. It doesn’t help seeing someone ahead of you struggle and you think you can do better.

Somewhat switching topics here, was he really that distant of a CB4?

I don't think it has anything to do with if you're from a small town or the city. It's the attitude of the kid, who he is and what he can/can't handle.

Some kids from small towns want out and dream of big cities. Others enjoy the small town vibe and want to keep things slower in their lives. Kids don't choose where they grow up or where they can afford to live. It's the coaches responsibility to talk to kids during the process and figure out who they are as people......not only to see who will fit into your locker room culture and buy into what you're building, but also the local area and school environment. Using broad strokes will only reduce the size of your net and potentially lead to missing on talent.

Totally. Look at a guy like Shockey. From Bumblefluck, OK and that kid was BUILT to thrive in a city like Miami. I can't even picture him in a ****hole like Gainesville. Personality matters.

There are a lot of good thoughts and ideas in this thread. The biggest thing we need to do is WIN. We can’t go into these metro areas and pick who we want. That was 20 years ago. To this generation we’re not a national brand. That’s reality. IF Manny can right the ship then I would agree with putting a higher emphasis on Metro areas. Until this happens we need to be happy about pulling a small town kid from out of state. People were so happy when Rumph pulled Williams. Well

Advertisement
Stars from small towns are used to being a big fish in small pond, pardon the cliche. Nothing wrong in recruiting them, if they’re interested, but the evaluation also needs to include their openness to adjust to a big city like Miami. In fact, the program (heck, the school) should have support for kids making this transition. Nothing wrong with that.

I would limit OOS recruiting to elite players, and pass on the 2-3 star developmental prospect. Miami might be better off recruiting in-state if they need to fill a class with that level of recruit. If not, the evaluation had better be spot on.

The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

While I want to agree with you, you just cant pass on talent no matter where it comes from.

Otherwise you end overlooking someone like Derrick Henry from Yulee, Fl.

since Rumph appears to be the issue, can someone remind me why Manny failed in dumping him? did someone on the BOT come in and veto it? what happened?

Advertisement
You don’t stop chasing 10s. But maybe you go to the clubs where you’ve had more success. There are only so many hours in a day.
This. A guy who turns his head at every girl who walks by is going to end up in an alley with a dime store ho. Have some confidence, self-awareness, and standards.

In any case, this program wasn’t built on chasing 10s, and no good program does it without a filter. Guys are worried we’ll suddenly start to lose out on all the rural 5* kids we have signed the past two decades? Shrug. If we could only do better with the local evals, we wouldn’t be worrying about kids from rural alabama.

So that does not mean we should stop trying to get them. We should try harder. Obviously country families will take the bag more often cause well, they need it and that could be why we struggle to get them boys here. But you were saying stop even attempting. Just cause a few 10s turn you down you don’t stop chasing them so why should we stop too? Lol

Country families are more likely to have money than the inner city recruits we take. So I'm not sure where you're going with that.

I’m sure you know more than I do regarding Williams’s pecking order so I won’t argue that. But regardless of whether you’re 2nd or 4th, you definitely deserve some game snaps against UAB imo. It doesn’t help seeing someone ahead of you struggle and you think you can do better.

Somewhat switching topics here, was he really that distant of a CB4?
Good question, because the only memory I have of Couch is watching him get burned, and out run, only to knock the ball out and..... yep Ivey kicked it OB! LOL
Can't blame Williams, dude is a legit sized corner, and deserves a shot at some PT. He was solid on Specials last year, and I think if he had gotten say 10-15 snaps last game this is not happening. I don't buy the homesick thing, I mean he's a soph..... So he made it a solid year already. Be interesting to see where he lands..
Any chance we just fire Rumph? Like yesterday? Come on, I don't care if EReed it turns out he sucks as a coach, you know he would be a killer on the trail! And talent shows up!

Advertisement
The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.
Totally get the point & worth the conversation, but would advise against making a blanket statement. Need to consider each recruit on an individual basis. Be curious to see some research on players who have transferred from Miami during this same period. Or sought after recruits who didn't pan out. Imagine many are from larger cities.

I don't think location is the problem. It's the recruiting philosophy for CB's IMO. Miami keeps recruiting these tall S type guys who are slow, have zero Feet/ change of direction and at this level in IMO can't run/lack true long speed. If im the HC I put a stop to this immediately. Let's be honest Miami pretty much has an amateur who's learning on the job right now. Miami won't do anything big until they have NFL caliber guys on the staff.

Historically, If you think about...CB is Polly the second worst position to o-line when it comes to producing quality NFL talent. How many Miami CB's have made a pro bowl? Ryan McNeil is one. Fred Marion? Jennings was a good player here but fizzled in the league. He was 5-11 btw, All American, Rolle played corner here but he was another guy who was really a safety. All American and good CB here. Buchannon was awesome here... All American 5-11 BTW........... then there's rump 6-2 guy, all big east CB. Never really liked him. Was better suited for FS. Big fan of Artie burns..liked corn elder...... anyways, Miami needs a philosophical change at CB and stop going after thesde big *** safety type slow pokes like IVEy , a guy I would have never looked at. Said the something about lovon ponder years back

Last edited:
I don't think location is the problem. It's the recruiting philosophy for CB's IMO. Miami keeps recruiting these tall S type guys who are slow, have zero Feet/ change of direction and at this level in IMO can't run/lack true long speed. If im the HC I put a stop to this immediately. Let's be honest Miami pretty much has an amateur who's learning on the job right now. Miami won't do anything big until they have NFL caliber guys on the staff.

Historically, If you think about...CB is Polly the second worst position to o-line when it comes to producing quality NFL talent. How many Miami CB's have made a pro bowl? Ryan McNeil is one. Fred Marion? Jennings was a good player here but fizzled in the league. He was 5-11 btw, All American, Rolle played corner here but he was another guy who was really a safety. All American and good CB here. Buchannon was awesome here... All American 5-11 BTW........... then there's rump 6-2 guy, all big east CB. Never really liked him. Was better suited for FS. Big fan of Artie burns..liked corn elder...... anyways, Miami needs a philosophical change at CB and stop going after thesde big *** safety type slow pokes like IVEy , a guy I would have never looked at. Said the something about lovon ponder years back
Yeah our corner history doesn’t hold a dim candle to our safety history

Advertisement
Thanks for the input. Care to elaborate?
Has nothing to do with location. Has everything to do with talent evaluation in all facets of the program. We can’t evaluate our own players on the team (Patchan over Rosseau) is one recent example. We have failed evaluating opposition for years, this is why we continuously drop games to schools with less talent on a yearly basis.
We continuously miss out on elite south Florida talent at skill positions.
To compensate for this we immediately jump on overrated talent in the Miami area. And then we are scared to pull these guys who aren't performing. That is why kids leave.
We need to improve our talent evaluation. When is the last time we found a true diamond in the rough outside of Miami?
It is dumb to alienate areas based on them being metropolitan or not. Country kids and 3 stars from North Carolina run circles around our guys every year.

Advertisement
Back