Stop recruiting small towns

Has nothing to do with location. Has everything to do with talent evaluation in all facets of the program. We can’t evaluate our own players on the team (Patchan over Rosseau) is one recent example. We have failed evaluating opposition for years, this is why we continuously drop games to schools with less talent on a yearly basis.
We continuously miss out on elite south Florida talent at skill positions.
To compensate for this we immediately jump on overrated talent in the Miami area. And then we are scared to pull these guys who aren't performing. That is why kids leave.
We need to improve our talent evaluation. When is the last time we found a true diamond in the rough outside of Miami?
It is dumb to alienate areas based on them being metropolitan or not. Country kids and 3 stars from North Carolina run circles around our guys every year.

This does nothing to explain why only two of our 51 NFL players since 2010 were country kids.

It’s not about their talent. Country kids are great players. The good ones just don’t come to Miami anymore. We get guys like Zach Dykstra and Evan Shireffs.

Romello Height is the most recent example of a country kid burning us at the altar. It’s a three-fold issue: (1) the rise of the SEC; (2) our on-field struggles and (3) the culture gap.

Advertisement
This. A guy who turns his head at every girl who walks by is going to end up in an alley with a dime store ho. Have some confidence, self-awareness, and standards.

In any case, this program wasn’t built on chasing 10s, and no good program does it without a filter. Guys are worried we’ll suddenly start to lose out on all the rural 5* kids we have signed the past two decades? Shrug. If we could only do better with the local evals, we wouldn’t be worrying about kids from rural alabama.
You can say this until you're blue in the face but most don't get it. The 10 just looks too good to pass up. Get the 8 that will leave with you. They look pretty good to you when you end up in the alley with your **** in your hands.

Last edited:
You can say this until you're blue in the face but most don't get it. The 10 just looks to good to pass up. Get the 8 that will leave with you. They look pretty good to you when you end up in the alley with your **** in your hands.
Knowing Manny, he’d end up in am alley with a tranny’s **** in his hands. She’d be a ‘10,’ of course.

This does nothing to explain why only two of our 51 NFL players since 2010 were country kids.

It’s not about their talent. Country kids are great players. The good ones just don’t come to Miami anymore. We get guys like Zach Dykstra and Evan Shireffs.

Romello Height is the most recent example of a country kid burning us at the altar. It’s a three-fold issue: (1) the rise of the SEC; (2) our on-field struggles and (3) the culture gap.
You should of said the resurgence of the SEC. We had the same issue in the 70's. It was fixing the on-field struggle that made the other two issues go away.

Advertisement
You should of said the resurgence of the SEC. We had the same issue in the 70's. It was fixing the on-field struggle that made the other two issues go away.
Blaming the SEC is tiring. When we show we have a competent coaching staff and program, we’ll see what blame there is. When we cannot offer those things, it’s pointless to look outwards for the source of our problems.

It could just be that the kids don't trust the coaches. They don't believe the coaches are good enough to help me prepare for the league.

ALSO....THERE IS A LOT OF TALENT IN THE DMV ....WHO ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO GO TO UM ......FACT’S

View attachment 130341
If you hone in on Gonzaga or DeMatha for a kid every once in awhile. Here in Prince William County, we end up producing about a half dozen legit division 1 prospect per cycle. I'd rather spend more time in the Tidewater area.

The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

Brunswick is pretty darn small. I get your point though. For me, it is really about the level or classification you are pulling these kids from. Unless you are a Sean Taylor or Derrick Henry I would shy away from small classification. Miami is an acquired taste and a real culture shock for some kids. Just because we love it does not mean a kid from out of the tri-county area is going to love it. I'd like to see us back in some traditional metro we've neglected such as Pittsburgh, Philly, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans. We hit Houston last year. I'd like to see that continue.

Advertisement
It don't matter where you get the players from just get them here. Never limit yourself as a Coach u just can't. Miami's recruiting issues go far beyond where they decide to recruit a guy. Players recruit coaches too..they talk to each other. They look at the staff, players, the program as a whole and what's going on. Diaz wouldn't move me as coach and If I was in the gym working out and saw pope and Mallory playing Tetris I'd Polly slap one guy on Monday and the other Friday when I got reinstated.

Why can't we just profile the player and decipher whether the small town kid has 'big city' aspirations or the types of behaviors that match up well with our culture? Does that require resources we don't have? If we are not profiling kids we recruit, we have a far deeper issue.
This x 100.

What we're witnessing is the abject failure of the Rump Experiment. With such a galactic fail, we are often left scratching holes in our heads looking for obscure reasons when, in fact, the reason is simple--we're recruiting and evaluating terribly, especially at that one position.

This x 100.

What we're witnessing is the abject failure of the Rump Experiment. With such a galactic fail, we are often left scratching holes in our heads looking for obscure reasons when, in fact, the reason is simple--we're recruiting and evaluating terribly, especially at that one position.
Enough of this Rumph stuff. What's he's talking about is cultural fit. We haven't exactly hit with the country bred OL.

Advertisement
We've had plenty of small town successes here. What we haven't had is any Rump success. Quit being his valet.
Not being anything other than someone that tires of thread jacking. While there's been plenty of small town success, you can't say the same for those that can't fit culturally which is the point.

Why can't we just profile the player and decipher whether the small town kid has 'big city' aspirations or the types of behaviors that match up well with our culture? Does that require resources we don't have? If we are not profiling kids we recruit, we have a far deeper issue.

do you think we are equipped to do this type of profiling? On the surface, this type of personality profiling is easier said than done - even for professionals. Yes, often with recruiting it’s a gut reaction but if you are not trained in this area, you will fail. Can rumph adequately develop a comprehensive psychological profile that will tell him whether or not a small town kid has the right kind of aspirations to make it in a big city? My sense is no - I would even say most guy can’t do this. If Corey Raymond tried to recruit small town players to Miami, I think he’d have the same kind of success rate.

Since rumph can’t, he needs to keep it simple and focus on in state/local kids. That sad part is that he can’t even do that. To compound the issue, the issue is also guys like Banda/baker that identify the wrong type of player. Anyway, I’d like to think it’s Occam’s razor and the problem is not that complex but my sense is that there are many underlying issues to this problem. RegRdless, a change needs to be made - either in philosophy or at the coaching position.

This x 100.

Recruiting and evaluation failures at this program run from the top. That’s not a defense of rumph, but our problems predate him and go well beyond CB. Rumph can go, imo. The position demands a recruiter. But our eval process has been broken forever.

Advertisement
do you think we are equipped to do this type of profiling? On the surface, this type of personality profiling is easier said than done - even for professionals. Yes, often with recruiting it’s a gut reaction but if you are not trained in this area, you will fail. Can rumph adequately develop a comprehensive psychological profile that will tell him whether or not a small town kid has the right kind of aspirations to make it in a big city? My sense is no - I would even say most guy can’t do this. If Corey Raymond tried to recruit small town players to Miami, I think he’d have the same kind of success rate.

Since rumph can’t, he needs to keep it simple and focus on in state/local kids. That sad part is that he can’t even do that. To compound the issue, the issue is also guys like Banda/baker that identify the wrong type of player. Anyway, I’d like to think it’s Occam’s razor and the problem is not that complex but my sense is that there are many underlying issues to this problem. RegRdless, a change needs to be made - either in philosophy or at the coaching position.
Lu isn’t saying Rumph is supposed to do this. He’s saying Manny is. Or perhaps James since this sort of process infrastructure really should outlive the HCs who utilize it.

And yes, cfb is big business and miami should have these tools in place. They don’t have to be world class at it to benefit from some basic assessment screens. If you can just reduce avoidable errors in this business, you’ll average up significantly over time.

Last edited:
Lu isn’t saying Rjmph is supposed to do this. He’s saying Manny is. Or perhaps James since this sort of process infrastructure really should outlive the HCs who utilize it.

And yes, cfb is big business and miami should have these tools in place. They son’t have to be world class at it to benefit from some basic assessment screens. If you cna just reduce avoidable errors in this business, you’ll average up significantly over time.

ok. I agree completely. I know rumph is an easy target here but to me, Banda and Diaz (and Baker) are also to blame. I heard on this board (I think it was dee) that Banda has a lot of say in the initial identification/eval of targers. Rumph eventually takes the hand off but well down the road. Runph’s inability to close combined with (perhaps) banda’s mistargets Or mis-evals are a compounding problem.

It's not that complex. Just talk to the kid. If you have any social skills whatsoever and an ability to converse, you can tell what a kid is all about pretty quickly. You guys act like figuring out if a small town kid has big city skills and dreams is like splitting an atom.

Advertisement
Back