Stop recruiting small towns

It's not that complex. Just talk to the kid. If you have any social skills whatsoever and an ability to converse, you can tell what a kid is all about pretty quickly. You guys act like figuring out if a small town kid has big city skills and dreams is like splitting an atom.

What did Romello Height tell us?

I’m just looking at the results the last 20 years. The rise of the SEC has hurt us in rural Florida and other small towns.

Advertisement
What did Romello Height tell us?

I’m just looking at the results the last 20 years. The rise of the SEC has hurt us in rural Florida and other small towns.
It’s important to remember that the last 20 years we have had terrible coaches who were bad to mediocre evaluators. The SEC isn’t our issue with rural kids - the SEC comes into Miami and takes kids we want.

Height doesn’t tell us anything about generally recruiting rural kids, imo. You can’t make an argument around an anecdote.

The bigger issue than Height is why so often the past 2 decades our fan base knew a lot more about what kids were thinking and planning to do than our own staffs did.

Lol wut? It’s 6 miles by water to Mobile and 10 by car. Mobile has 200k people and the East shore of the bay has another 100k.

Dmoney has some dumbass posts sometimes. Daphne has put multiple kids into the NFL
It’s about 30 minutes to an hour away from Mobile.. **** Mobile itself is small and country.

Hey guys we shouldn’t recruit Julio Jones. He’s from Foley, AL which is even smaller than Daphne and farther from a big city like Mobile.

Just fackin win the big recruiting battles for the kids who will be NFL players. Period. Who gives a **** where they live

Advertisement
I wasn't privy to those conversations and don't really trust our staff's ability to evaluate situations. Seems like they get played fairly regularly.
Our staff too often tends to be that guy who asks his wife whose car was in the driveway yesterday around lunch and believes her when she says ‘oh, honey, it was just some passerby who was lost and looking for directions.’ Too dumb to even notice the same car has been in the driveway on the same day, at the same time, for weeks. Same guy goes on a message board with his neighbors, and they’re all telling him exactly what’s going on in his house those afternoons. But homie got swag, and don’t believe them. That‘s how our staff ignores the many posters with real info on these boards, and thinks they know better what recruits are thinking.

It’s important to remember that the last 20 years we have had terrible coaches who were bad to mediocre evaluators. The SEC isn’t our issue with rural kids - the SEC comes into Miami and takes kids we want.

This is irrelevant to the comparison, which is only amongst our NFL players. Those are the guys we got who were good. A miniscule number were from rural areas.

I'm not even talking about outside of Florida. Who was the last rural kid we've gotten from Florida that performed? Teams like UF are littered with them.

when SC fires Muschamp go after him. Great recruiter and Defensive minded coach. The Incoming recruits will be juiced about that.

A move like that would put us at elite level coordinating. Would change us into a contender in 2 years.

Advertisement
This is irrelevant to the comparison, which is only amongst our NFL players. Those are the guys we got who were good. A miniscule number were from rural areas.

I'm not even talking about outside of Florida. Who was the last rural kid we've gotten from Florida that performed? Teams like UF are littered with them.
I think you gotta define rural for us. I got a totally different definition than you do.

Lol wut? It’s 6 miles by water to Mobile and 10 by car. Mobile has 200k people and the East shore of the bay has another 100k.

Dmoney has some dumbass posts sometimes. Daphne has put multiple kids into the NFL
Mobile is on a scale like Macon, Ga. That’s not really a major city when compared to Atlanta.

Irrelevant to the comparison? I didn’t say this in response to the comparison. I actually responded favorably above on that. i posted this in response to your romello height and SEC comments, which I don’t think help your initial comparison or play in here at all.

Advertisement
i posted this in response to your romello height and SEC comments, which I don’t think help your initial comparison or play in here at all.

You said we’ve had “terrible coaches who were bad to mediocre evaluators.” Evaluation had nothing to do with Height’s decision to burn us. And we signed two other DEs, so they didn’t put all their eggs in that basket by “misreading” the kid. He just bailed to the SEC like most of those kids do.

Some might say it’s because we have bad salesmen, but that class was star-laden and far outpaced our actual performance on the field. It didn’t matter with Height.

tbh, I don't even disagree with DMoney. But, I'm also someone that doesn't think we need to go far for most of what we need.

I'd rarely, if ever go into these small southern towns for players. I'm probably missing on a player here or there, sure...but I'd be saving a ton of time, energy, and resources in the meantime...maybe I'd be able to identify one of the dozens...HUNDREDS(?)...of players from Dade/Broward/Palm Beach/Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville that Miami has misevaluated and not recruited well over the years D$ is talking about.

I do agree with D$...its ultimately a culture issue for 98% of those players. If you want to spend time, energy, and resources to find that 2% that fit Miami...be my guest, I won't argue with you...just feel like there is a better use of time, energy, and resources to cast a bigger net.

You said we’ve had “terrible coaches who were bad to mediocre evaluators.” Evaluation had nothing to do with Height’s decision to burn us. And we signed two other DEs, so they didn’t put all their eggs in that basket by “misreading” the kid. He just bailed to the SEC like most of those kids do.

Some might say it’s because we have bad salesmen, but that class was star-laden and far outpaced our actual performance on the field. It didn’t matter with Height.
You’re tryinng too hard to argue, imo. It’s a fact that we’ve had terrible coaches who were bad to mediocre evaluators. I’ve been saying this for decades on these sites. And I have continued to point out, for years, that one implication of this is we’d do better to focus on kids we have more info on, which tends to mean local kids. In this instance, I pointed it out because it supports your point for us right now, without agreeing that a better evaluator might not change the calculus. Jimmy, Butch, trust them on evals. They were the best. Coker, Shannon, Gluten, Pricht, Diaz? Nope.

And you keep tallimg about Height as if it’s logical to use a single datapoint to construct an argument around. Height is one kid. He doesn’t prove anythig about what we should do in other instances. He’s a decoration in this discussion. There are plenty of 4-5* So Fla kids who ‘bail to the SEC’ also. Makes sense since we’ve been selling a **** product for ages. Hopefully that is changing. The more important question, imo, is why our staff continuously is surprised by things that plenty of posters on this board already knew and discussed?

Advertisement
We’ve gotten a kid or 2 from Trinity Christian in Jax (and lost a couple). Point is, Canes have had some recruiting success in Jax, I wonder if we offered any of their corners? They’ve had some good ones the last few years.

I don't think we need to overhaul our whole recruiting strategy. Like you said in another thread (rightly), we have a lot of talent.

We have some holes in certain spots, but I would just address those individually. Our depth at corner is pretty bad, that's the one that really stands out, as everyone has already pointed out.

Rumph hasn't been getting it done in the recruiting department. I won't dispute that.

But beyond that, Manny Diaz also had trouble recruiting corners at Texas. I think it's partly to do with the scheme he runs... I'm not really sure. But I know people here in Texas were complaining about his CB's too and he didn't have Rumph with him then. So much so that the AD at Texas forced him to fire his cornerbacks coach, and they brought in a CB coach with a "bump and run" man coverage philosophy (like some here are asking for) and what ultimately happened was Diaz crashed and burned at Texas once that CB coach came in. The two styles didn't mesh at all.

So the issue at CB is deeper than Rumph, is what I'm saying.... and I wouldn't be surprised if high school coaches are pushing their CB's away from Miami for some reason to do with the scheme.

image.jpeg

These are the regions we need to recruit, majority Florida, Texas & sprinkle in some New Orleans & STL.

The moment Katrina displaced half the athletes and their families, and they settled into Houston. I've been arguing that Houston should be #3 after South Florida and Rest of Florida.

To me, it's all hands on deck for South Florida, then someone covers Tampa/Jax/Orlando+Atlanta, someone else Houston+NO, someone else Greater DC, and someone else the Philly to NYC corridor. Use our network to get the names into the top of the funnel. Get the territory managers outside of South Florida to evaluate them in person and speak to their family, coaches and community to filter out Jeff Thompson character issues (or at least asterisk them) and create a real pipeline. Then the position coaches can work it from there.

And to D$s point, if you build a pipeline the right way, it's a **** load of work with lots of hours involved. So why spend so many resources on rural prospects who have low close rates or are cultural misfits and future transfer candidates? Sure, if an Allen Bailey turns up, or the Northeast prep school contacts start touting a kid like Taylor Van Dyke, you take a look. But those should be exceptions.

Advertisement
Back