Stop recruiting small towns

Advertisement
1) Not usually a good cultural fit. Don't buy that even slightly.
2) I like all those guys, but they are few. I'm always ok with honing in on one gem, no matter where, if it looks promising.
3) California is really expensive in time, money, and effort. We have limited recruiting resources. I am prioritizing.

Delusional.

1. Coastal big city culture, eg LA = Miami. They are not small town college towns. Excellent cultural fit.
2. Agree. Gems only. Same for Texas, Georgia and NY/NJ.
3. Our staff has connections in Cali, eg Likens, Fields. Don’t waste those connections.

I don't agree with not recruiting small towns, but I'm over recruiting Bama & Georgia. They shaft us regularly & worship the SEC more than SoFla kids. The only ones that have worked for us are Herndon, Mike Jackson (both lightly recruited) & Deejay. The Romello Height fiasco was 10× worse than what any SFL kid has done to us in recent memory

South FL CB's since 2010 we signed or had committed at one point.

Keion Payne DIDN"T HE MOVE TO S AND DISSAPEAR?
Thomas Finnie HIDE YOUR LAPTOP
Tracy Howard IIGHT
Vernon Davis TRANSFER
Larry Hope TRANSFER
Nate Dortch TRANSFER
Ryan Mayes TRANSFER
Sheldrick Redwine SUCKED AT CB, GOOD S
Terrance Henley TRANSFER
Malek Young TRAGEDY
Trajan Bandy IIGHT
Al Blades JR IIGHT
DJ ivey DOOKIE
Nigel Bethel TRANSFER
Tecory Couch WHO DAT?

DECOMMITS

Akeem Dent TRASH
Jarvis Brownlee IDK
Josh Jobe HES LIKE 25 and STILL ****
CJ Henderson HE STILL WEARS SIZE 21 JEANS
Tyler Belly Button Byrd *****MADE
Deion Jackson IDK
James Wiggins IDK
Dennis Turner TRASH
Lol what’s the story on Thomas Finnie

Advertisement
I would mostly skip the new york area except a rare gem. There is not enough talent.

Agree to skip California as well. I'd put Houston, Atlanta, Hampton Roads in that order. I like New Orleans but L$U has such an establishment in that state, you've got to choose your time wisely. I like the Vegas idea, but would again be really careful. DMV is intriguing but a very crowded recruiting house.

Don't really understand listing New York City. It's garbage talent wise. Garbage.

Tell that to Ohio State. They currently have SEVEN players from the NYC and the surrounding suburbs (NY/LI/Westchester)! I guess it's worth their time.

Plenty of tough good CFB players come from the NYC area. No one is saying its Florida, but its a tight geographical area you can cherry pick, and those kids fit in well here usually.

OSU, MICH, PSU have been recruiting NY hard forever. UGA even got a 5-star from BK a couple of classes ago. But what do they know?

Some great NY players have played at Miami. Vinny Testaverde, Leon Williams, Stephen Maguire. Right now we have Harrison-Hunte, Blissett, and ElGammal. The word is good on Harrison-Hunte and Blissett already.

And recently Erasmus has been cranking out national recruits. I'd kill for us to get more involved there.

South FL CB's since 2010 we signed or had committed at one point.

Keion Payne DIDN"T HE MOVE TO S AND DISSAPEAR?
Thomas Finnie HIDE YOUR LAPTOP
Tracy Howard IIGHT
Vernon Davis TRANSFER
Larry Hope TRANSFER
Nate Dortch TRANSFER
Ryan Mayes TRANSFER
Sheldrick Redwine SUCKED AT CB, GOOD S
Terrance Henley TRANSFER
Malek Young TRAGEDY
Trajan Bandy IIGHT
Al Blades JR IIGHT
DJ ivey DOOKIE
Nigel Bethel TRANSFER
Tecory Couch WHO DAT?

DECOMMITS

Akeem Dent TRASH
Jarvis Brownlee IDK
Josh Jobe HES LIKE 25 and STILL ****
CJ Henderson HE STILL WEARS SIZE 21 JEANS
Tyler Belly Button Byrd *****MADE
Deion Jackson IDK
James Wiggins IDK
Dennis Turner TRASH

giphy.gif

This is shockingly, horrifyingly, unbelievably horrendous

I don't agree with not recruiting small towns, but I'm over recruiting Bama & Georgia. They shaft us regularly & worship the SEC more than SoFla kids. The only ones that have worked for us are Herndon, Mike Jackson (both lightly recruited) & Deejay. The Romello Height fiasco was 10× worse than what any SFL kid has done to us in recent memory

Height never signed so he doesn't count. That's just the game

Advertisement
Why are we still calling recruits like Campbell and Elam losses when they go to UGA? That's not a loss, it's to be expected when you play like **** on the field. Both were recruited, but we've gotta live up to our part of the bargain and show them we can win as well.

LOL!!! Rumph can't recruit 305, 954 and 561....just get rid of the guy...big city, small town...don't matter. The man can't recruit.

I’m late to this but yeah this is a hot take. He’s transferring because he’s not playing, not because Miami slang is different.

Not to mention even if a recruit is from a city, it’s probably big relative to its state but small in comparison to Miami unless it’s Atlanta, Houston, etc.

Birmingham to Miami is still legitimate culture shock, but Michael Jackson never left. Why? He got the playing time he deserved.

Advertisement
I’m late to this but yeah this is a hot take. He’s transferring because he’s not playing, not because Miami slang is different.

Not to mention even if a recruit is from a city, it’s probably big relative to its state but small in comparison to Miami unless it’s Atlanta, Houston, etc.

Birmingham to Miami is still legitimate culture shock, but Michael Jackson never left. Why? He got the playing time he deserved.
Yeah his junior year

Advertisement
The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

While I do not disagree with your basic conclusion (stop recruiting small towns), I would also ask if this is really some sort of big problem for us?

Yeah his junior year
Everyone has their own timeline. That’s when it was his time. That’s when it clicked for him.

And if it was overdue, then that shows he still felt like he should stick it out. Not everyone is Christian Williams and I don’t even fault him for wanting out, but saying we should stop recruiting an entire type of municipality because Christian Williams hit the portal is a knee-jerk reaction.

Not everyone is Christian Williams and I don’t even fault him for wanting out, but saying we should stop recruiting an entire type of municipality because Christian Williams hit the portal is a knee-jerk reaction.

This is why it’s important to look at the results over the course of a decade.

Advertisement
Back