Stop recruiting small towns

While I agree we need to take some first steps, I don't get why we're making this out to be surgery. It's a decently-funded University. I bet there are people on campus doing research on targeting/selling/profiling. Go ask them for some guidance?
Sigh. I have been yelling at the clouds about evals for 20 years. Our main issue isn’t a lack of data or analytics, though those are issues. The problem is we haven’t had a staff that knows what to look for since butch left.

Advertisement
Feet, eyes & hips, are the foundation to every good/great corner.

Ball skills & speed are important as well, but technique supersedes all.

Size, arm length & overall physical frame matter too, but not as much as natural foot speed & lateral movement. Idc how ideal sized a CB may be, if he's stiff hipped with bad feet he's not gonna make it at CB.

I think our issue is our Defensive staff places the premium on tackling, they talk about tackling all the time with our DB's, they completely disregard their ability to move or cover, they just want DB's that can hit & the funniest thing about is, we only have about 2 starters in the secondary who are textbook tacklers, the rest are a lot of swing & missers including my boy Amari lol.

Idk what our philosophy is with CB, it seriously seems completely random, but ability to cover down the field & football IQ need to pushed to the forefront, because sooner or later these constant misses & bad evals at CB is going to bite us even more than it already has.

Miami is smack dab in the middle of the region the produces the most CB's in the nation in college & the NFL, yet we can't find 3-4 solid corners to save our lives, it's really Bizarro world.
the last 3 cycles they have recruited guys that dont even play cb full time in na effot to get more speed.

im in full agreement on everything you said.

The one thing i ever hear them saying is about tackling. They put a premium on that sh*t. I knew something wasnt right when they had that Orlando wing t rb locked up as a main cb recruit. **** i think they are doing it again with Curtis. Love that kid is a wr.

Hmm, I had not been asked to develop that plan, but it seems you want to fight about something. So let's do it your way.

What is your detailed plan for established successful Miami recruiting in Houston?
Not at all. I just wanted to name the best program in the Memphis area and mentioned a former Cane in my sentence.

Advertisement
Or stop playing bad players over and over :dbc:
That's all this kid transferring is an example of. When u kill it in practice often and you still get no shot on Saturdays this game ain't designed to keep them sitting. It's too easy to transfer when u know ur better than what's on front of u and u still don't get ur shot.

Advertisement
A lot of wasted posts in here.

Here is how you fix this....

Fire the clown that is currently coaching DBs. Rumph/ Banda... whoever bc they ain’t teaching.

Go out and hire the best DB coach with a track record of success we can.

It’s that simple.

I don’t know when it’s gonna happen, but Manny is going to have some difficult decisions to make soon. There is way to much dead weight on the defensive side of the ball regarding staff.

Golden was a ****** but he could identify LB talent.

We are lacking big time at LB, DB, recruiting and development

Eliminating small towns seems like too broad a stroke. I would limit OOS small-town recruiting to elite nationally recruited players.

The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.
In fairness James is essentially from Orlando so only 1 country bumpkin

Advertisement
so no John Mellencamp?

Is the issue with small town recruiting, or is it moreso that we've been putting out dog crap on the field for a decade and a half? If we are consistently winning double digit games each year, are those small town recruits more likely to stick around?

the last 3 cycles they have recruited guys that dont even play cb full time in na effot to get more speed.

im in full agreement on everything you said.

The one thing i ever hear them saying is about tackling. They put a premium on that sh*t. I knew something wasnt right when they had that Orlando wing t rb locked up as a main cb recruit. **** i think they are doing it again with Curtis. Love that kid is a wr.
This is true, the coaches talk about tackling so much I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with linebackers at corner.

@LuCane

this is a link to a thread i started right when manny was hired. It touches on all the issues bounced around in this thread. You and me have been focused on data analytics for a long time.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/let’s-talk-about-recruiting-from-a-staff-perspective-not-about-recruits.143847/

Link

Advertisement
Soooo . . . I guess Slapout, Alabama and Possum Grape, Arkansas is off our priority list.

Mud Butte, South Dakota is going to be disappointed, as is Boogerhole, West Virginia.

But come on! We can't discount Bumpass, Virginia!

Advertisement
Back