Stop recruiting small towns

The DMV is a HUGE Ohio State/Penn State pipeline, with Maryland occasionally convincing some kids to stay home....idk how fruitful that would be
i knowDMV very well , ohio/penn state NO ..not in the DMV that’s north of DMV and kids ( redskins DC/DMV / /Baltimore...grow up loving Sean taylor ed reed , Ray Lewis, Santana Moss Clinton Portis etc......but University of maryland That’s not that good and , Virginia TECH AND VIRGINIA pipeline yes....BUT there are ton’s of UM FANS AND FAMILY in the dmv .... This is becoming a Mecca of football in this area DMV look into it it is a diamond in the rough ( DMV= Wash.DC , MARYLAND, VIRGINIA)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why are yall saying avoid Cali? The state has always been good to us. The only West Coast team busting a grape recruiting wise is Oregon, USC can't get out of their own way & Arizona State is on the rise but not up there yet. Michigan, Notre Dame & occasionally an SEC team also recruit out there.

In my opinion, outside of Florida we should prioritize Texas, NYC/Jersey, Cali, the Tidewater area, St. Louis & Kansas City. I like Charlotte a lot but that's a Clemson stronghold unfortunately.

I also think we should recruit JUCOs a lot more than we currently do.

Lmfao so this is the new spin job???

NO SMALL TOWNS!!

Gastpo has its runnjng orders on the spin job

Advertisement
Maybe, given the fact the majority of kids are from south florida, there's an inherent "clique" that forms , making it difficult for kids outside south florida to really be accepted.......

Miami passed on Jaden Davis (South Florida), Kaiir Elam (South Florida), slow played John Dixon (Tampa)...didn't even give Taiwun Mullen or Semar Melvin a look.

Lost Akeem Dent and Jarvis Brownlee in the same cycle.

Hard times to come out of two cycles with basically Te'Corey Couch, Isaiah Dunson, and Marcus Clarke at CB.

Last edited:
The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.
I’m fine with your premise, but imo it’s still about evals. Shockey was a small town kid. Cortez Kennedy was.

We can use ‘lenses’ to filter recruiting, but it doesn’t matter if we can’t evaluate kids well enough, and motivate them properly. When I say eval, it includes personality, fit and culture, not just speed or size. Your stats are noteworthy, but we’ve also whiffed on city kids too.

Now that Reed is around the program, maybe promote dvd and ask rumph to move on.

Miami passed on Jaden Davis (South Florida), Kaiir Elam (South Florida), slow played John Dixon (Tampa)...didn't even given Taiwun Mullen or Semar Melvin

Lost Akeem Dent and Jarvis Brownlee in the same cycle.

Hard times to come out of two cycles with basically Te'Corey Couch, Isaiah Dunson, and Marcus Clarke at CB.

That's more of a Rumph topic, but you are right. South Florida has been weaker lately at CB so the misses hurt even more.

Advertisement
I’m fine with your premise, but imo it’s still about evals. Shockey was a small town kid. Cortez Kennedy was.

We can use ‘lenses’ to filter recruiting, but it doesn’t matter if we can’t evaluate kids well enough, and motivate them properly. When I say eval, it includes personality, fit and culture, not just speed or size. Your stats are noteworthy, but we’ve also whiffed on city kids too.

Now that Reed is around the program, maybe promote dvd and ask rumph to move on.

Of course, evaluations are always part of the equation. But the problem with small-town kids isn't their ability. It's our ability to sign them and retain them in the 21st century.

Hampton Roads, DMV, Eastern Texas, Phoenix, ATL,

Woukd be the areas outside of Florida that if hit.

only up north states I would hit would be PA and OH

Advertisement
We need to stop being so **** picky at CB, we have some extremely weird prerequisites for CB's...

We always act like we're just too good to offer so many kids, but then our CB recruiting has been subpar for 5 years now & kids we don't offer end up going elsewhere & excelling.

Whether it's local or OOS Corners, we recruit CB's like we're Art collectors, no ones ever good enough & the kids we want & waste all our time chasing after have no interest in us. Beggars can't be choosers & we choose as if we're not beggars despite the fact we clearly are & everybody can see it except us. The whole thing is backwards.

Tiawan Mullen was a TF All-American at Indiana & was more productive than any CB we've had since Artie Burns but yet he wasn't good enough for Miami???

- In the 2020 class, we never offered Dontae Mannig from Kansas City (he signed with Oregon), we let Ronald Delancy go to Nebraska, we never offered DJ Warnell from TX (he signed with UCLA).
- In the 2019 class, we lost Kaiir Elam & Ty Stevenson to the UF & UGA, we didn't want Jaden Davis, we lost John Dixon to South Carolina, we let Jarvis Brownlee get flipped.
- In the 2018 class, we miss evaluated Asante Jr & let him go to FSU, **** even Chandler Jones a Miami Central kid had 50tcks & 10PBU's for Louisville last year as a Sophomore.

I mean even Tulsa & La Tech has had more productive & successful CB's than us recently with guys like Reggie Robinson & Amik Robertson who both got drafted in the 4th round.

Shemar Jean Charles was a 2-star Miramar kid who's now killing it at App St, had 45tcks & 9PBU's last year & just last week had 7tcks & 4PBU's in his last game & was named Defensive MVP of the week by PFF.

Oregon somehow figured out how to develop CB's...

Derek Stingley & Cordale Flott were both TF's last year & Flott was a 3-star coming out of HS.

Ahmad Gardner was another low rated 3-star with an 83 rating coming out of HS & he's one of the best CB's in the nation.

Point being, everybody figures out CB recruiting except us.

Last edited:
South FL CB's since 2010 we signed or had committed at one point.

Keion Payne DIDN"T HE MOVE TO S AND DISSAPEAR?
Thomas Finnie HIDE YOUR LAPTOP
Tracy Howard IIGHT
Vernon Davis TRANSFER
Larry Hope TRANSFER
Nate Dortch TRANSFER
Ryan Mayes TRANSFER
Sheldrick Redwine SUCKED AT CB, GOOD S
Terrance Henley TRANSFER
Malek Young TRAGEDY
Trajan Bandy IIGHT
Al Blades JR IIGHT
DJ ivey DOOKIE
Nigel Bethel TRANSFER
Tecory Couch WHO DAT?

DECOMMITS

Akeem Dent TRASH
Jarvis Brownlee IDK
Josh Jobe HES LIKE 25 and STILL ****
CJ Henderson HE STILL WEARS SIZE 21 JEANS
Tyler Belly Button Byrd *****MADE
Deion Jackson IDK
James Wiggins IDK
Dennis Turner TRASH

Advertisement
IM ONLY A UM FAN BECAUSE UM USE TO THRIVE OFF OF RECRUITING SMALL TOWNS OUTSIDE OF MIAMI. OP SNIFFS HAIRY BUTTS.

Why can't we just profile the player and decipher whether the small town kid has 'big city' aspirations or the types of behaviors that match up well with our culture? Does that require resources we don't have? If we are not profiling kids we recruit, we have a far deeper issue.

If we're "hunting" for recruits the way digital marketers aim at demographics - height, weight, speed, big city, shops at X, etc. - we're opening ourselves up to some unnecessary assumptions. I understand why that has to be done for scalable businesses, but it doesn't seem to apply to a restricted list of 25 players (approximately) we, a football program, aim to get per year.

I'm not suggesting you're advocating for us to be lazy. I'm suggesting I don't think we need to exclude players based on their hometown when we can just do a better job at analyzing the player's potential fit. ****, some of that can be done over zoom with a limited set of questions. Creating a good player profile and recruiting that profile well is the coach's job. ****, go ask for help from the behavioral psychology department at the University.

To add, the problem seems to be more the restrictions on player height/weight, etc., than on where the player grew up. We have a weird *** approach to recruiting DBs. Which is really strange considering our DB coach played in the NFL with guys of all heights and varying speed.

I would mostly skip the new york area except a rare gem. There is not enough talent.

Agree to skip California as well. I'd put Houston, Atlanta, Hampton Roads in that order. I like New Orleans but L$U has such an establishment in that state, you've got to choose your time wisely. I like the Vegas idea, but would again be really careful. DMV is intriguing but a very crowded recruiting house.

Don't really understand listing New York City. It's garbage talent wise. Garbage.

Why would you skip California? Good cultural fit that meets DMoney’s criteria.

Our history in Cali?

Gino at QB
Dorsey at QB
‘Kaaya at QB?
Kyle Wright at QB? Ok, a miss.

DJ Williams at LB
KWinslow at TE

Not too shabby!

Advertisement
Back