Stephen Morris hurt lifting weights

I think if Steven Morris is the starter for the Miami Hurricanes at any point, we are in big trouble.

Disagree with you. Still confused why anyone who is that down on this guy. IMO he's showed a lot of physical skill that can be coached up by Fisch.

Not saying I totally agree with SF, but I can definitely see why someone could/would be down on Morris (or not very high on him). He's got a great arm and is athletic, but IMO, has shown a lack of touch & timing and has been slow with his decision-making. Will see how it works out. I'm just glad that there is going to be adequate competition at the position for the foreseeable future. Just having competition will reap dividends as far as QBs progressing, IMO.

I disagree with SFBay.

IMO, Jacory's play in his sophomore and junior season was worse than anything we've seen from Morris to date. If Fisch could turn him around, imagine what he can do with a more skilled and gifted athlete?

Jacory showed a feel for the game as a freshman, and through his first few games as a sophomore, that Morris just hasn't, imo. Watching Jacory play as a freshman you got a feeling that he had that "it" factor, that he was going to be special (which made it more frustrating when he regressed, of course). I've never felt that way watching Morris.

That said, I hope Fisch is able to turn Morris into something special.
I think he had that "it" factor his freshman because Marve was more garbage than he was. Then his sophomore year, he has a new OC with a totally different offense than Nix. You notice after the first few games, when teams learned to gameplan Whipple's **** it I'm going deep offense, Jacory starts getting sacked, throwing INT galore, etc. If he truly had this "it factor" then he would have won a friggin bowl game at the least (played horribly in every bowl).

Seems like a terribly weak reason for not liking Morris.

Advertisement
I think if Steven Morris is the starter for the Miami Hurricanes at any point, we are in big trouble.

Disagree with you. Still confused why anyone who is that down on this guy. IMO he's showed a lot of physical skill that can be coached up by Fisch.

Not saying I totally agree with SF, but I can definitely see why someone could/would be down on Morris (or not very high on him). He's got a great arm and is athletic, but IMO, has shown a lack of touch & timing and has been slow with his decision-making. Will see how it works out. I'm just glad that there is going to be adequate competition at the position for the foreseeable future. Just having competition will reap dividends as far as QBs progressing, IMO.

Most of his play was as a true Fr, don't you kind of expect that from True Fr QBs?

Jacory was much further along in those aspects of his game as a true freshman.

Most of his play was as a true Fr, don't you kind of expect that from True Fr QBs?

And then he threw a combined 32 INTs the next 2 seasons.

Morris' potential is far greater than Harris' athletically; and, he has the benefit of actual coaching.

I think he had that "it" factor his freshman because Marve was more garbage than he was. Then his sophomore year, he has a new OC with a totally different offense than Nix. You notice after the first few games, when teams learned to gameplan Whipple's **** it I'm going deep offense, Jacory starts getting sacked, throwing INT galore, etc. If he truly had this "it factor" then he would have won a friggin bowl game at the least (played horribly in every bowl).

I don't like Morris because, to this point, I don't believe he's any good. He doesn't see the field well, locks on to receivers, and just generally doesn't seem, to me at least, to have much feel for the game. At the same point in their careers (end of sophomore season) I felt Jacory had much more potential. People just got enamored with Morris having above average arm strength, and with the fact that he wasn't Jacory.

I also completely disagree with your explanation of why Jacory looked to have "it" as a freshman. That 2 qb, swap at will system did no favors for either of those guys, but that really isn't what this topic is about.

I don't like Morris because, to this point, I don't believe he's any good. He doesn't see the field well, locks on to receivers, and just generally doesn't seem, to me at least, to have much feel for the game. At the same point in their careers (end of sophomore season) I felt Jacory had much more potential. People just got enamored with Morris having above average arm strength, and with the fact that he wasn't Jacory.

I also completely disagree with your explanation of why Jacory looked to have "it" as a freshman. That 2 qb, swap at will system did no favors for either of those guys, but that really isn't what this topic is about.

And how did that turn out? :)

Bottom line - and this is hard to argue against - we have a coaching staff that took Jacory from the depths of quarterback-play-**** and Jac put in a fairly decent season. So I'm crossing my fingers that Fisch is going to get some good play out of Morris - although the WR corps concerns me.

Advertisement

Fair enough on your last point about the 2 QB system. But it's laughable to down Morris for not seeing the field and locking onto receivers when Jacory had those same exact problems. Please don't tell me you think Jacory saw the field well and didn't lock on. You can't claim someone sees the field well or even better than Morris when you throw and ungodly amount of picks in your soph. and junior seasons.

Im not saying that he is worlds ahead of Jacory, but I think given that his inherent skillset is better than Jacory's, and seeing what Fisch did with Jacory, we can expect Morris to be AT LEAST as good as Jacory.

Last edited:

And how did that turn out? :)

Bottom line - and this is hard to argue against - we have a coaching staff that took Jacory from the depths of quarterback-play-**** and Jac put in a fairly decent season. So I'm crossing my fingers that Fisch is going to get some good play out of Morris - although the WR corps concerns me.

It turned out with Jacory being horrendous as a Junior, but pretty decent as a senior (aside from the final game of the season were he went back to being horrible).

I'm not arguing against, or even trying to argue against, what Fisch was able to do with Jacory. Although, I do wonder how much of Jacorys ****** play from mid-soph through his junior year was related to injury, and to Whipple not giving a **** during Jacorys junior year. Regardless of that, what Fisch was able to get out of what Jacory was pretty miraculous and I hope he can do that with Morris.

My worry with Morris is that he doesn't have a natural feel for the game, which Jacory looked to have at the same stage of his career. Fisch was able to bring something back in Jacory that I'm not sure Morris has to begin with.

Fair enough on your last point about the 2 QB system. But it's laughable to down Morris for not seeing the field and locking onto receivers when Jacory had those same exact problems. Please don't tell me you think Jacory saw the field well and didn't lock on. You can't claim someone sees the field well or even better than Morris when you throw and ungodly amount of picks in your soph. and junior seasons.

Im not saying that he is worlds ahead of Jacory, but I think given that his inherent skillset is better than Jacory's, and seeing what Fisch did with Jacory, we can expect Morris to be AT LEAST as good as Jacory.

Jacory saw the field better, and had fewer problems with locking on to a receiver as a freshman and through the first half of his Soph. year than Morris does. Jacory regressed, becoming a worse qb than he was when he got to UM, for whatever reason. As of right now, based on his play to this point, Morris is at best equal to Jacory at his worst. That's not something to be excited about.

Jacory saw the field better, and had fewer problems with locking on to a receiver as a freshman and through the first half of his Soph. year than Morris does. Jacory regressed, becoming a worse qb than he was when he got to UM, for whatever reason. As of right now, based on his play to this point, Morris is at best equal to Jacory at his worst. That's not something to be excited about.
Maybe he has fewer problems his freshman because we ran nothing but bubble screens and QB draws. He was required to do very little (ding ding ding like in Fisch's offense). I already explained your 1st half of soph. year. (really the first 4 games only).

Please elaborate HOW Jacory sees the field better instead of just stating that sentence over and over. 24/17 and 14/15 are cold hard facts that shows Jacory couldn't see the field worth a **** here unless he was handcuffed. How does one see the field better when they throw into double and triple coverage VERY OFTEN? Please explain that.

Part of the reason for Jacory's picks is Jacory staring down who he is throwing to. He did this in the last game against BC when Kuechly picked his *** off.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Man I have to say I disagree with you a lot about Morris. Morris true Fr and Jacory's true Fr years were pretty similar (Jacory had better comp %, Morris was far better in ypa), in fact there passer rating was nearly identical. Morris also didn't start practicing with the 1st team offense until he already had taken snaps in a real game (he was behind Whipple somehow). Morris looked pretty good at Maryland (18-22) until the end of the game when he had to try and make something happen. He did miss the wheel route to Miller.

Man I have to say I disagree with you a lot about Morris. Morris true Fr and Jacory's true Fr years were pretty similar (Jacory had better comp %, Morris was far better in ypa), in fact there passer rating was nearly identical. Morris also didn't start practicing with the 1st team offense until he already had taken snaps in a real game (he was behind Whipple somehow). Morris looked pretty good at Maryland (18-22) until the end of the game when he had to try and make something happen. He did miss the wheel route to Miller.

B/c unlike other players that Randy seemed to love to burn shirts for a play or two, they actually wanted to redshirt Morris.

Jacory saw the field better, and had fewer problems with locking on to a receiver as a freshman and through the first half of his Soph. year than Morris does. Jacory regressed, becoming a worse qb than he was when he got to UM, for whatever reason. As of right now, based on his play to this point, Morris is at best equal to Jacory at his worst. That's not something to be excited about
Maybe he has fewer problems his freshman because we ran nothing but bubble screens and QB draws. He was required to do very little (ding ding ding like in Fisch's offense). I already explained your 1st half of soph. year. (really the first 4 games only).

Please elaborate HOW Jacory sees the field better instead of just stating that sentence over and over. 24/17 and 14/15 are cold hard facts that shows Jacory couldn't see the field worth a **** here unless he was handcuffed. How does one see the field better when they throw into double and triple coverage VERY OFTEN? Please explain that.

Part of the reason for Jacory's picks is Jacory staring down who he is throwing to. He did this in the last game against BC when Kuechly picked his *** off.

Your really not trying to make an argument that anything about Nix's offense was beneficial to a qb, or actually compare it to Fisch's offense, are you? I also don't get where you are getting that a qb was required to do very little in Fisch's offense. Does the qb in that offense not have to make reads? Read what a D is giving him and audible if needed? That offense was not a one read and chuck it type of offense.

Your second point is just way off. You conveniently call Jacorys frosh and senior years "handcuffed", despite having the most freedom he had been given in an offense here his senior year - which happened to be his best season. None of this actually matters though, because this thread is not about Jacory. The only reason I used Jacory was as an example as to why I'm not high on Morris, because he's worse than a qb that wasn't very good during much of his time at the helm.

Here are numbers for you that are pertinent to this thread 7/11, Morris' career td to int ratio. Those are hard facts that show, at least to this point, that Morris can't see the field worth a ****.

Last edited:

that's not really complimentary towards him.

Advertisement

And then he threw a combined 32 INTs the next 2 seasons.

Morris' potential is far greater than Harris' athletically; and, he has the benefit of actual coaching.

And Harris' problems had more to do with the coaching he got than his natural talent as a QB. At the same point in time, before Jacory was ruined by Whipple, Jacory was much further ahead than Morris was in those aspects of the game. And you can talk about athleticism all you want but, especially being a fan of this team (cough cough Kyle Wright cough cough), you should realize it's low on the totem pole of being a successful college QB.

Jacory saw the field better, and had fewer problems with locking on to a receiver as a freshman and through the first half of his Soph. year than Morris does. Jacory regressed, becoming a worse qb than he was when he got to UM, for whatever reason. As of right now, based on his play to this point, Morris is at best equal to Jacory at his worst. That's not something to be excited about

Your really not trying to make an argument that anything about Nix's offense was beneficial to a qb, or actually compare it to Fisch's offense, are you? I also don't get where you are getting that a qb was required to do very little in Fisch's offense. Does the qb in that offense not have to make reads? Read what a D is giving him and audible if needed? That offense was not a one read and chuck it type of offense.

Your second point is just way off. You conveniently call Jacorys frosh and senior years "handcuffed", despite having the most freedom he had been given in an offense here his senior year - which happened to be his best season. None of this actually matters though, because this thread is not about Jacory. The only reason I used Jacory was as an example as to why I'm not high on Morris, because he's worse than a qb that wasn't very good during much of his time at the helm.

Here are numbers for you that are pertinent to this thread 7/11, Morris' career td to int ratio. Those are hard facts that show, at least to this point, that Morris can't see the field worth a ****.

So a dude continually throwing into double and triple coverage means you see the field well? Sorry tugbin your argument is'nt valid. The only reason Jacory looked better this year is that he threw to the RB out of the back field, because fisch instructed him to do so, under the other guy we ran a lot of max protection. Jacory stopped taking chances as much and that is the one reason he didnt throw 20 interceptions. His arm also got stronger which caused a few of his passes to be dropped or almost intercepted. For example two throws against Va TEch. In previous years those would have gotten intercepted, this year one was dropped( hosley) and one went for a TD to Benjamin cause he gunned it (increased arm strength). You like Jacory because lets face it he appeared very calm in the pocket and had zen like patience, that doesnt mean he sees the field well, it just means he's calm in the pocket. Morris is more antsy and more opf a gun slinger and that makes you nervous which I understand. What Jacory does have over Morris is timing. Morris doesnt have the ability to throw a ball before thw Wr comes out of his breaks like Jacory can. However there are just too many throws that I saw Morris make which jacory just cant in the limited time Ive seen him. I still contend we would at least have same record if Morris started the entire year. Add to the fact that Morris is much faster and stronger on his feet and I believe Fisch will take advantage of that. Because of his scrambling ability I believe We will be a better offense this year, i was more confident of this with Streeter coming back. Im scared of our WR depth, but not the fact of Morris starting. Morris is a much more accurate QB even if the numbers dont show it. I know what my eyes tell me.

Exactly. If you look at Fisch's playcalls you can clearly see how he handcuffed Jacory. Not handcuffed in the sense he couldn't have the freedom to audible; handcuffed in the sense that Fisch gave jacory non risky routes...barely any routes were ever over the middle or deep...compared to the many routes near the sidelines, short routes the the RB or in the flats, check downs. Lol if you really believe Fisch's offense is that complex.

I don't think it's fair nor logical to pull out Morris' career numbers when dude has never been a full time starter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The funny thing from reading this is that everybody who's disagreeing with each other aren't really saying things that are all that different.

The Group 1 folks who agree with SFBay are basing their opinions on what we've seen from Morris to date, which hasn't been exactly been All-ACC level QB play to say the least. So that opinion is certainly understandable. While there have been positive glimmers, Morris' play to date won't cut it going forward. Both Group 1 and Group 2 folks seem to agree.

The Group 2 folks who aren't ready to throw in the towel just yet with Morris don't disagree with the above...at least in terms of his play to date. These folks instead are espousing a point of view that Fisch achieved dramatic improvement with Jacory, so an equally significant level of improvement by Morris makes him possibly a whole new and improved QB next year. Maybe Morris won't improve next year, and maybe he will. Neither Group 1 nor Group 2 folks seem to disagree that either is a possibility.

So one side is saying, "he hasn't shown us anything" and the other side is saying "but there's reason to hope and believe that can change". The two thoughts are not mutually exclusive and can easily exist together. It's simply a matter of one thought being retrospective and the other being prospective.

Last edited:
Morris has a way better arm than "Above Average", he has a legit rocket for an arm.

Morris has a way better arm than "Above Average", he has a legit rocket for an arm.
Exactly. It is true you can win with no arm (my boy Dorsey), but if Fisch can coach Morris up and get his decision making solid, then the sky is the limit when you have tools like his elite arm strength.

Last edited:
Exactly there is a reason we didnt throw to the tight end over the middle this year, not so much because ford sucked, more so that we didnt want to turn ballover. We tried to be agressive with Jacory in the beginning of the year.. remember Ohio State Game? Didnt those play calls look similar to last year? Remember those 2 ints in the 1st half.? Fisch said oh **** na, no more deep throws for jacory unless their go routes!!!

Advertisement
Back