Stephen Morris hurt lifting weights

Advertisement
Man I have to say I disagree with you a lot about Morris. Morris true Fr and Jacory's true Fr years were pretty similar (Jacory had better comp %, Morris was far better in ypa), in fact there passer rating was nearly identical. Morris also didn't start practicing with the 1st team offense until he already had taken snaps in a real game (he was behind Whipple somehow). Morris looked pretty good at Maryland (18-22) until the end of the game when he had to try and make something happen. He did miss the wheel route to Miller.

that's not really complimentary towards him.

They were trying to redshirt him, hoping Whipple could be a capable backup, he wasn't. I worded it poorly.

I have actually liked what I have seen from Morris. Kid seems like a leader by example and unlike Jacory who slides if a defenser is 5 yards from him Morris isn't afraid to lower the shoulder for the extra yardage.

Yes he threw a lot of picks, but he was a true Freshman in 2010, and the Maryland game he was trying to compensate for missing a ton of starters. I really feel like this kid can lead us for 2 years and help turn the program around.

I have actually liked what I have seen from Morris. Kid seems like a leader by example and unlike Jacory who slides if a defenser is 5 yards from him Morris isn't afraid to lower the shoulder for the extra yardage.

Yes he threw a lot of picks, but he was a true Freshman in 2010, and the Maryland game he was trying to compensate for missing a ton of starters. I really feel like this kid can lead us for 2 years and help turn the program around.

Lowering a shoulder to get extra yardage is not something most coaches want to see their starting QB doing.

Advertisement
I think if Steven Morris is the starter for the Miami Hurricanes at any point, we are in big trouble.

Disagree with you. Still confused why anyone who is that down on this guy. IMO he's showed a lot of physical skill that can be coached up by Fisch.

Not saying I totally agree with SF, but I can definitely see why someone could/would be down on Morris (or not very high on him). He's got a great arm and is athletic, but IMO, has shown a lack of touch & timing and has been slow with his decision-making. Will see how it works out. I'm just glad that there is going to be adequate competition at the position for the foreseeable future. Just having competition will reap dividends as far as QBs progressing, IMO.

Most of his play was as a true Fr, don't you kind of expect that from True Fr QBs?

Jacory was much further along in those aspects of his game as a true freshman.

And then he threw a combined 32 INTs the next 2 seasons.

Morris' potential is far greater than Harris' athletically; and, he has the benefit of actual coaching.

And Harris' problems had more to do with the coaching he got than his natural talent as a QB. At the same point in time, before Jacory was ruined by Whipple, Jacory was much further ahead than Morris was in those aspects of the game. And you can talk about athleticism all you want but, especially being a fan of this team (cough cough Kyle Wright cough cough), you should realize it's low on the totem pole of being a successful college QB.

I don't know how you can attribute 32 INTs in 2 years to just coaching. It's also limitations on his talent.

I think if Steven Morris is the starter for the Miami Hurricanes at any point, we are in big trouble.

Disagree with you. Still confused why anyone who is that down on this guy. IMO he's showed a lot of physical skill that can be coached up by Fisch.

Not saying I totally agree with SF, but I can definitely see why someone could/would be down on Morris (or not very high on him). He's got a great arm and is athletic, but IMO, has shown a lack of touch & timing and has been slow with his decision-making. Will see how it works out. I'm just glad that there is going to be adequate competition at the position for the foreseeable future. Just having competition will reap dividends as far as QBs progressing, IMO.

Most of his play was as a true Fr, don't you kind of expect that from True Fr QBs?

Jacory was much further along in those aspects of his game as a true freshman.

And then he threw a combined 32 INTs the next 2 seasons.

Morris' potential is far greater than Harris' athletically; and, he has the benefit of actual coaching.

And Harris' problems had more to do with the coaching he got than his natural talent as a QB. At the same point in time, before Jacory was ruined by Whipple, Jacory was much further ahead than Morris was in those aspects of the game. And you can talk about athleticism all you want but, especially being a fan of this team (cough cough Kyle Wright cough cough), you should realize it's low on the totem pole of being a successful college QB.

I'm going to assume you went on a drinking binge after your last final just before typing this.

If I didn't know you I'd swear you were Jacory Harris' cousin. He's garbage, always has been. He peaked right after that 50 yard corner route to Benjamin during the first start of his sophomore year on the road at Florida State. It's been a steady decline ever since. He consistently made the same "minor" mistake during his 4 years here...and that's assuming you consider throwing into double and triple coverage, and often late, a "minor" problem.

And to blame what that kid lacks upstairs on coaching is just laughable. You're better than that kid. Bill Walsh himself couldn't have fixed what ailed Jacory.

I think Morris will be serviceable. Truth is "the next great UM QB" didn't take a snap this season...hopefully he's either an incoming freshman or on his way soon.

Last edited:
We don't need a "great QB". Dorsey's NFL career proved that.

We just need someone who's smart, works their *** off, makes good decisions, and puts the ball where it should be (playmakers' hands)

Advertisement
Not quite understanding how people are down on Morris either. Remember most QB's are redshirted their first year. Morris was not and only played like 4 games last season. Now this season when he should have been a redshirt freshmen he got limited playing time and I thought he looked pretty decent when he was in. Not to mention he had to learn a new offensive system. If Fisch turned Jacory into what Jacory was last season than i'm very excited to see what he can do with someone who is more physically gifted and has a better arm. Give the kid a chance guys lol

Lowering a shoulder to get extra yardage is not something most coaches want to see their starting QB doing.

Seriously, I never want to see my QB doing that unless they're built like Tebow/Newton. That would be about the dumbest thing that Harris or Morris could do.

Seriously, I never want to see my QB doing that unless they're built like Tebow/Newton. That would be about the dumbest thing that Harris or Morris could do.

It's not just about lowering the shoulder, he doesn't slide like a pansey when his team needs the extra yard.

Here's what I don't get with the fanbase and Morris: a lot of the same people who are down on Morris made every excuse in the world for Kyle Wright. And Morris has already shown more than Kyle ever did.

Let's list everything we know Morris brings to the table:

- Elite arm strength. Best I've seen in my UM lifetime. In person on Greentree, it's a sight to behold. Much stronger than Kyle's ever was. And while he's not Joe Montana yet, his accuracy shows potential. He hit something like 15 passes in a row at one point of the Maryland game.

- Toughness. Morris is as tough as anyone we've had at QB. He tries to run people over when he takes off, he stands in the pocket and delivers, and he plays hurt (Notre Dame game).

- Wheels. Morris is a true pocket quarterback that can run. Major advantage.

- Competitiveness. As a true freshman coming straight from the scout team against UVA and Maryland, he showed more gameness than Kyle Wright or Kirby Freeman ever did. Those games said a lot about his makeup.

- Character. Morris is a genuinely good kid from a stable family who was constantly engaged and supporting the team as a backup. Golden speaks glowingly about how team-oriented Morris is.

This is what we know. Now, there are legit questions about his anticipation. That's normal for a rocket-armed quarterback. He has the luxury of gunning it in when he's late with his decision. This can improve with experience. Morris didn't throw a ton of passes in high school and was buried by Whipple as a true freshman.

Same goes for his decision-making. I don't think Morris is a robot like Kyle Wright or a spazz like Kirby-- he comes into games cold and makes throws. He just needs reps.

I was able to see a decent amount of practices between spring and summer, and Morris bought into Fisch's high-completion, efficient philosophy just as much as Jacory did. They were neck in neck. From what I've heard, Morris jumped a few levels during the season in practice and is really starting to show his entire skillset.

There is a lot to like, not just the arm.

Advertisement
^ On point DMoney. There is a lot to like about Stephen Morris, especially considering what we had seen at QB since Brock Berlin. I feel fairly confident about Morris, even moreso knowing it will be is 2nd year under Jedd Fisch.

Dmoney, do you believe that Morris has trouble seeing the field? Or is he better at it or the same as Jacory at this point in his career?

Advertisement
Im in the middle about Morris but I feel alot better knowing hes year 2 with Fisch
Same here. I think he needs to improve his accuracy and decision making but he has shown flashes of being an adequate to solid QB. I'm also not ready to write off Ryan Williams based on a message board post claiming he has a "noodle arm" (which apparently was a conclusion drawn from watching him throw on a couple of hail mary type passes). Ken Dorsey had a weak arm and things worked out pretty well for him. The difference was that defenses rarely laid a hand on him and he wasn't throwing the ball 30 yards down field into double coverage 10 times a game.

Good post D$: I dont understand some of the negaitivity for Morris; He was thrown into the fire last year when he should have been redshirted, and sure he made some bad throws, but he didnt have that "deer in a headlights look" that Kyle Wrong, Kirnobyl had.

His arm strength is 2nd to none, but I think he needs to do a better job of checking off from his primary receiver and going to his 2nd, 3rd options in the play. I dont question his toughness and he showed in limited reps, he will run if necessary to get the first down.

Fisch had Jabroini playing pretty good fball all year to the last 2 games. I am curious about Dewey: I really liked his film, smart, decisive, pretty solid arm strength and was coached by a darn good college QB in HS (Detmer).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back