Stacy Searles - OL

Darling has been not up to standard. Won't miss him at all. Get Scaife or Reed in there next year.

Advertisement
Mahoney looked really bad against UNC. We need to recruit more Donaldsons. The name of the game with OL/DL play is recruiting the elite ones.

Good thing 2 of our best recruiters are at those positions.

gtfoh. he's done an excellent job. the OL generally is playing above their talent and ability level. searles has done well.

Pass Blocking has been good though. I guess I should have specifically said run blocking.

That's not on Searles, that's on Richt. None of our rushes hit quickly (dive, traps, power).. it's either the slow developing counters outside or the stupid predictable RPO out of shotgun every 3rd snap. Richt is taking one of our biggest weaknesses and asking the most of them. Not smart coaching.. Setting up for failure before the ball is snapped.

Searles is the goods...he is squeezing every ounce of talent out of our line. Problem is we still have some Golden specials in the lineup. McDonuts & Darling need to go...thank God they are seniors...J. Jones was a waste of a scholly and he was the worst kind of JUCO...the bust kind that comes with 3 years eligibility. Milo...shît, don't even let me get started on Mr. California. Mahoney is serviceable. dude from LSU is a JAG and it's very apparent why LSU didn't fight to keep him. All of our 17 class studs have potential...we need to add at least 1 more blue chip OT recruit to the 18 class.

Advertisement
Donaldson absolutely pancakes people on run plays but he's been out & still may not be 100%. It will take a year or two of exceptional recruiting to bring the run blocking to a level where we'll all be happy. Pass pro has been fairly solid. Recruiting is the primary key to success in college football. Yes, some coaches do a phenomenal job of coaching up lesser talents (and get good-very good results) but it is really hard to be truly elite without the right horses. We simply need more great recruits on the OL (which will take 1-2 years).

The Oline isn't nearly as bad as some of you make out. Keep in mind Rosier is still getting familiar with the offense. There are a handful of plays every week where he gives when he should keep and keeps when he should give. Second, he doesn't audible to get the offense out of bad plays being called. UM's oline has been solid, not spectacular. There's no we we would be undefeated w/o solid play up front.

It's a good, not great offensive line. If it was as horrible as you said it is, Rosier would be taking a classic *** whipping every game like Kyle Wright did.

We are only a couple of seasons removed from this:

miami-hurricanes-football-caneshooter-photos-imagers-offensive-linemen.jpg

Run blocking is about wanting to pound the other guy to the ground. It's going to take a little while to get there.

WTF is that?

They do look sweet, though.

Advertisement
The consensus during the offseason was that this OL couldn't afford any injuries for a lack of quality depth - and this premonition has come true without Donaldson at RG. Can't have Mahoney and Gaynor out there getting rag-dolled.

The Oline isn't nearly as bad as some of you make out. Keep in mind Rosier is still getting familiar with the offense. There are a handful of plays every week where he gives when he should keep and keeps when he should give. Second, he doesn't audible to get the offense out of bad plays being called. UM's oline has been solid, not spectacular. There's no we we would be undefeated w/o solid play up front.

This

Both Darling and right guard (didn't matter who was in) played poorly. St. Louis has improved. Losing Linder before the season hurts. He could be starting right now in Donaldson's absence or pushing Darling for the LG spot. That's the kind of quality depth we are missing.

Advertisement
We have a good OL that played a bad game.

Look around the country at some of the OLs on Top 25 teams. We have a solid group.

Gettinf Donaldson back full-time will be a big boost.

Need a 350-pound road grader against Tech.

Why is our OL still so soft in Year two? Is it coaching or recruiting or a mixture of the two? I know he’s still working with a lot of holdovers from the last regime but it’s year two and the OL has been garbage for two seasons!

IMO, our OL lacks:

1. strength for power run blocking

2. Rarely pull or trap block

3. Don't stay on their blocks thru the whistle

4. allows the pass pocket to shrink to fast

Help is on the way at OG. Doesnt get much better then a tandem of Scaife and Reed. We hit the jackpot with those two. Gaynor is locking down that C spot for the next 3 years and Donaldson is the alpha. Herbert and Hillary will be good in time.

Searles just has to get his guys in there and is getting the most out of what hes got. They are just inconsistant. Look great one game..look horrible the next. They will have to play great against Vtech or it will be UNC x10 as it pertains to getting our **** pushed in.

Advertisement
I'm assuming injury is the reason Mahoney started over Donaldson. Pls tell me that's correct.

If so, will Navaughn be starting this week?

I don't think they're being taught proper technique.

Such as? Any examples?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SR4QKqanys

Both of our Tackles getting beat with the same move. I know they aren't true left tackles but it doesn't even look like we are trying to coach it differently.

How about we try to step into the defenders and not just punch. What our tackles are doing aint working...

Sadly, Bud Foster knows Searels all too well and may have a field day exposing his teachings!!

I stand by my sentiments from last season!

This guy sucks!

Pass protection has been pretty solid.

Run blocking obviously hasn't but I still contend that has more to do with strength and conditioning than technique.

I think overall Searels is doing a fine job.

The jury is out on Searels... Obviously he is getting better talent in the door which should help. The OL does need to identify better and block better in the run game. And quit getting pushed around. OL need to be the meanest nastiest guys on the team and should never get pushed around...

Advertisement
Back