Stacy Searles - OL

What does he have to work with?

Bunch of Kehoe specials

That's not entirely true.

Darling was a National recruit.
McDermott was a National recruit.
Isidora was a National recruit.
Linder was a highly regarded South FL kid.
St. Louis was a National recruit.

So.....he's got plenty to work with from a raw materials perspective.

Maybe they suck and where incorrectly scouted by a bunch of schools -- but I don't think so.

More likely that they're miscast at their current positions, but either way there is some talent there.

Kehoe got more out of them than Searels is.

Pass rush was a problem but never this much of a problem.

Its scary af everytime Kaaya drops back in the 2 minute drill.

Our last second drives were gashed in the same way two weeks in a row.

It's a technique issue.

Wasnt this bad? Kaaya got knock the **** out on a 3 man rush last year. They got no push in the run game. Fau d-line was giving them a hard time. Cincy d-line dominated them. What the **** were you watching?

It was actually a 2 man rush:
View attachment 39670View attachment 39671

SMDH. 5 dudes couldn't block 2? **** is pitiful.

Advertisement
Kehoe got more out of them than Searels is.

Pass rush was a problem but never this much of a problem.

Its scary af everytime Kaaya drops back in the 2 minute drill.

Our last second drives were gashed in the same way two weeks in a row.

It's a technique issue.

It's not a technique issue it's simple math

Demarcus Walker > Darling + Kayaa lack of awareness/mobility = Sack Fumble.

A top 3 round DE will win that battle at a high rate.

So how do you explain UNC DE using the exact same move in the exact same scenario, the following week?

No development

Some guards can't be taught to be tackles. It was obvious last year. It's obvious this year. Darling is an OG and Sonny is average. I don't know why you convinced yourself they were going to be light years better.

I agree and get this but **** we going to get beat by every swim move we see this season?

Coaches gotta be able to mask deficiencies or at least show attempt at improvement.

Gotta give the coaches and offense time to evolve. It's been 6 games. Football isn't plug and play.

There are currently five functional offensive linemen on the whole team. And 4 out of 5 of them should be playing Guard. For ****'s sake, Gall is getting PT.

So just because the defense was able to be turned around (and actually had talent), people are gonna use the same argument for the talent level for the entire team?

I also love the revisionist history here. The OL sucked last year too.

Same guy was talking **** about Diaz a couple weeks ago so don't take him too serious. OL sucked last year and they still suck. As others have said, most are playing out of position which until we get some true tackles, will continue. I think you have to give Searles more than 6 games. If he was making a formerly dominant OL into what they are now, then I could see the coach bashing but that's just not the case.

Advertisement
Holy Christ, I walk away for a few hours and now our last OL coach was better than the current one? At what point did we all forget that coming into the season the OL was considered the weak link by every single person ever? This is some transitive property bull****. OL is playing worse, the only explanation is that the coach sucks! Get a grip people. They aren't very good because they aren't very talented and we don't have a LT. maybe Searles will turn out to be a corch, but give the guy a chance.

So just because the defense was able to be turned around (and actually had talent), people are gonna use the same argument for the talent level for the entire team?

So our talent on offense is less than James Madison and Illinois who both put it on UNC better than we did?

You'll see the revisionist history when a bunch of the offensive players are cashing checks in the NFL.

So our talent on offense is less than James Madison and Illinois who both put it on UNC better than we did?

You'll see the revisionist history when a bunch of the offensive players are cashing checks in the NFL.

Transitive property...works every time.

LOL at you excusing away Jim Madison and Illinois putting up better numbers on UNC than us with that transitive property nonsense.

How about our production against the same P5 teams last year vs this year? You think we're getting the most out of our personnel on offense? Or are you just doing the coach slurp?

Advertisement

LOL at you excusing away Jim Madison and Illinois putting up better numbers on UNC than us with that transitive property nonsense.

How about our production against the same P5 teams last year vs this year? You think we're getting the most out of our personnel on offense? Or are you just doing the coach slurp?

Not slurping at all, just allowing that teams play differently each week and we get everybody's best game. What is it that you think the coach could have done in a few months to make these guys worse? What makes you so sure that they haven't just regressed? I don't know what the **** the problem is, but I see a lot of people jump the coach immediately like that's the only possible explanation.

Kehoe sucked. Dorsey got knocked around in the Fiasco Bowl because Art couldn't figure out how to counter a basic stunt that OSU was throwing at him.

As far as this year, yes our OL is a huge problem but I'm not ready to blame that on Searels just yet. We knew going into this season that the OL was bad. Richt needs to recognize the weakness and stop trying to force a power running game that is never going to materialize behind this OL.

Part of a coache's job is to recognize the weaknesses in his unit and make adjustments. Trevor Darling has cement shoes but it's not like there's a bunch of Orlando Pace's sitting on the bench waiting their turn. Coach Searles has to make some type of adjustment. Maybe in obvious passing situations (like the endgame strip sack against UNC) he can line Darling up a bit wider so he doesn't have to kick out quite as far, quite as fast. It's obvious he's getting beat around the edge so when you know the DE is already pinning his ears back, give Trevor a bit of a head start in his protection. I don't claim to be any type of football coach so maybe my idea is stupid but an offensive line coach at a P5 program should have some ideas. These guys aren't all bums talent-wise. We've seen less talented lines handle FSU and UNC this season. They don't have to be the 2001 line but they've got to make the jump from bad to mediocre.

Advertisement
Players can regress by being taught bad technique. I think Searels pass blocking technique for our tackles is terrible.

Guys are getting beat on bad technique more than sheer athleticism. Thats an indictment on the oline coach and what he is teaching.

Guys keep saying Richt should scrap the power scheme because the line aint good enough.

Mothafugga the line aint good enough to block any scheme.

lol at anyone who thinks this line can block for an obvious passing offense out of 5 wide sets and spread twins.

Brad would be another Jacory at that point.

Part of a coache's job is to recognize the weaknesses in his unit and make adjustments. Trevor Darling has cement shoes but it's not like there's a bunch of Orlando Pace's sitting on the bench waiting their turn. Coach Searles has to make some type of adjustment. Maybe in obvious passing situations (like the endgame strip sack against UNC) he can line Darling up a bit wider so he doesn't have to kick out quite as far, quite as fast. It's obvious he's getting beat around the edge so when you know the DE is already pinning his ears back, give Trevor a bit of a head start in his protection. I don't claim to be any type of football coach so maybe my idea is stupid but an offensive line coach at a P5 program should have some ideas. These guys aren't all bums talent-wise. We've seen less talented lines handle FSU and UNC this season. They don't have to be the 2001 line but they've got to make the jump from bad to mediocre.

Exactly my point. Something's gotta give as far as adjustments go.

The wild thing is. we saw a lot of success passing out of the I against UNC with the playaction where we drove down the field and Kaaya missed Njoku for an easy TD.

I liked that. It makes it easier on the Line and opened up lanes. Richts gotta do more of that type of stuff to protect this line.

Every team that has worn out UNC's defense the last two years has better players than us. All of our 4 stars coincidentally suck at the same time.

Advertisement
Not slurping at all, just allowing that teams play differently each week and we get everybody's best game. What is it that you think the coach could have done in a few months to make these guys worse? What makes you so sure that they haven't just regressed? I don't know what the **** the problem is, but I see a lot of people jump the coach immediately like that's the only possible explanation.

He also thinks Troy and Louisville are the same because, you know, they both lost to Clemson by six.

Imo, he is a liability and showing to be the weakest of Richt's hires.

Im not seeing him take enough blame for the decline of the offensive line. Our players look lost on elementary Defensive lineman moves and that troubles me because they practice against a ton of different moves in practice everyday.

Where is the technique, the counter?

We may as well give coach Kool a raise and have him double as the oline coach because the shid is getting ridiculous.
Richt will have to make some decisions soon.

I dont like journeyman coaches that much... searels is looking like Randy Melvin 2.0

He may be....but here is a guy bringing in new concepts and inheriting an underwhelming (to be generous) squad. Should they be slightly improved...sure, but he definitely got the short end of the stick as far as assistants go, especially without a QB that can also rely on his mobility.

UM

What does he have to work with?

Bunch of Kehoe specials

That's not entirely true.

Darling was a National recruit.
McDermott was a National recruit.
Isidora was a National recruit.
Linder was a highly regarded South FL kid.
St. Louis was a National recruit.

So.....he's got plenty to work with from a raw materials perspective.

Maybe they suck and where incorrectly scouted by a bunch of schools -- but I don't think so.

More likely that they're miscast at their current positions, but either way there is some talent there.

Correct.

Pretty big coincidence that all these highly rated recruits mysteriously suck. We used to hear the same thing about our defensive players for the previous 4 years.

Also a pretty big issue that the same offense looked much better last year with the same guys and reviled coaches.

McDermott and Linder are fine inside. Isidora hasn't really been the same since his foot injury, but he's not a complete liability. The problem is the tackles. Darling is a guard who's been forced to play tackle. I think St. Louis still has potential. He's a only a redshirt freshman, and he held up pretty well against UNC. And there's very little depth. Loftus, Knighton, Mahoney, Jones, and Gall aren't really P5 caliber players.

I don't think we have Alabama's OL. But we shouldn't need Bama's OL to put up more yards and points against the ****** defenses from FSU and UNC.

Advertisement
Back