Spring 2017 Track Thread for Miami Recruits

5 star all the way.

Richt told him and Belen coaches that he reminds him of Todd Gurley at that age.

[TWEET]838093115290488832[/TWEET]

Still can't wrap my head around the fact that a prospect of this magnitude is at my alma mater.

This. I want to know the story behind him choosing Belen of all places. Wonder if he stays there all 4 years too.

His dad used to be a coach at Bay Point -- a reform school in Miami, not sure if it's around anymore. Belen used to regularly play Bay Point and would always destroy them with sound play and discipline despite having lesser talent. Belen's demeanor and reputation as a school with great academics and athletic success left an impression on the dad. Apparently after one of the games his dad told Coach Stuart that he wanted his son to go to a school like Belen.

That's what I hear at least. I don't know what happened since that time (was probably around 2003), but I assume they maintained a relationship and the dad is now the DB coach and working at Belen.

Advertisement
More on his dad: As I'm sure many of you know his dad is a gigantic person--something like 6'6' 340 pounds. His dad actually played college football at South Carolina as a 6'6 240 pound WR with speed.

That's why many assume that Jr. is going to keep growing.

5 star all the way.

Richt told him and Belen coaches that he reminds him of Todd Gurley at that age.

Still can't wrap my head around the fact that a prospect of this magnitude is at my alma mater.

This. I want to know the story behind him choosing Belen of all places. Wonder if he stays there all 4 years too.
Since others have begun to chime in, the story as I've been told: his father used to work at a school Belen played often. In fact, we played them my senior year. We routinely crushed them on the scoreboard despite facing clearly better athletes. It was a school for kids with behavioral issues, basically. The father was intrigued by Belen's discipline (we've played the Wing-T dating back to when I played Junior High). It unfolded from there...

Perhaps that's a legend at this point and I've never spoken to Sr. directly. The kid really impressed me when I met him. Smart, respectful kid despite all the attention. I would be surprised if he left Belen, but who knows. Maybe some of the others can provide greater detail. Either way, extremely excited to see the kid develop.

5 star all the way.

His dad used to be a coach at Bay Point -- a reform school in Miami, not sure if it's around anymore. Belen used to regularly play Bay Point and would always destroy them with sound play and discipline despite having lesser talent. Belen's demeanor and reputation as a school with great academics and athletic success left an impression on the dad. Apparently after one of the games his dad told Coach Stuart that he wanted his son to go to a school like Belen.

That's what I hear at least. I don't know what happened since that time (was probably around 2003), but I assume they maintained a relationship and the dad is now the DB coach and working at Belen.

Hiring the parents of big time recruits.... Belen making power moves?

In all seriousness Belen doesn't put up with academically unqualified students so that says a lot about the kid.

So people can get an idea of how big his dad is. He was in the photo when Canes coaches visited a few weeks ago.

[TWEET]823587772376186880[/TWEET]

Advertisement
So people can get an idea of how big his dad is. He was in the photo when Canes coaches visited a few weeks ago.

lol at Coach Aparicio, dude looks like same 17 years later. His old man should probably send him to school that doesn't run a 1930s era offense.

5 star all the way.

Since others have begun to chime in, the story as I've been told: his father used to work at a school Belen played often. In fact, we played them my senior year. We routinely crushed them on the scoreboard despite facing clearly better athletes. It was a school for kids with behavioral issues, basically. The father was intrigued by Belen's discipline (we've played the Wing-T dating back to when I played Junior High). It unfolded from there...

Perhaps that's a legend at this point and I've never spoken to Sr. directly. The kid really impressed me when I met him. Smart, respectful kid despite all the attention. I would be surprised if he left Belen, but who knows. Maybe some of the others can provide greater detail. Either way, extremely excited to see the kid develop.

You went to Belen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks like a 20 year old already facially and physically. I've seen plenty of dudes like that peak out too early because they matured faster than other kids.

Advertisement
He looks like a 20 year old already facially and physically. I've seen plenty of dudes like that peak out too early because they matured faster than other kids.

He really doesn't look fully developed if you see him up close. Looks his age, maybe 16 or so. Doesn't look like one of those 17 year olds going on 25.

He really doesn't look fully developed if you see him up close. Looks his age, maybe 16 or so. Doesn't look like one of those 17 year olds going on 25.

I saw the picture of him standing next to Coach Brown. Maybe that picture doesn't represent him well, but he doesn't look like any 16 year old I know. I'm talking about his facial features. Early maturity can make a kid's face transform early too. Looks like Granville T. Waiters with hair in that picture.

lol at Coach Aparicio, dude looks like same 17 years later. His old man should probably send him to school that doesn't run a 1930s era offense.

I wonder if Coach Aparicio is still teaching health over there

Richt should create a position for his dad.....could help with recruiting and keeping current players out of trouble..

Advertisement
5 star all the way.

First Post. Same man. Kid is a stud. My graduating class made it to States in 2010. Had some good players but nothing of Don Jr. magnitude.

Looks like we have a lot of guys who are interested in how recruits perform on the track. Might as well keep everything in one thread. Feel free to add.

Lorenzo Lingard 38.08 300m hurdles. 13.9 110

Thomas Burns 36.06 300m Hurdles

Anthony Schwartz 10.26 100m. 20.6 200m

Gurvan Hall. 14.3 110 HH as a so

Spartan Invitational…………Feb 25, 2017………..Timing/Results MOGO Electronic Timing Inc.

25 school attended

100m---(run into a very slight headwind) HS National elite standard is 10.80
1… Tyler Harrell…….. 11… Christopher Columbus HS…… 10.68…. -0.12…(6-0/180 WR Columbus--this time 10th fastest in nation so far)
2… Steven Stallings.. 11… G. Holmes Braddock HS……… 10.73…. -0.1
3… Yasir Abdullah… 11… Miami Carol City HS……..….… 10.78…. -0.1 …Remember a LB
4… Nigel Bethel……… 11… Miami Northwestern HS….…. 10.80…. -0.1

300MH
1… Thomas Burns…… 11… Miami Northwestern HS……… 36.55……(This time is the 3rd fastest in US High schools so far.)

Advertisement
Lo ran 37.20 at Clermont on 2/18 & 37.80 on 3/4 at Spruce Creek in the 300m hurdles.

Advertisement
Back