Something we may see this week

It's abundantly clear there won't be a locked in starter come game one. It'll be a two man rotation. As has been stated, seems pretty clear Richt wants Perry to get snaps so the only question remaining is who gets shown the door out of Sheriffs or Perry. Whoever is the odd one out will probably never play here.

Advertisement
If you believe Richt, then just listen to his press briefing today. He said:

1. He would go with the upperclassmen if he had to play a game today.
2. Rosier and Shirreffs are playing like veterans.
3. But, the good news is that all 4 guys can play the game and manage his system.
4. The Freshmen made major strides each of the past two weeks and he wants to be patient to see if they can continue to make that type of progress.
5. Even if he names a starter, he'll keep the competition going until someone establishes himself as the clear leader in a real game. He shared the story of Cory Phillips vs. David Greene at Georgia, where he had them alternate every 2 series in the first game, and Greene completed 10+ passes in a row and started every game after that.

My conclusion: We're too worried about this, and especially too negative about Rosier and Shirreffs. ... This competition isn't about finding one winner among 4 suboptimal choices. Richt already believes his QBs are good enough to win. It's about finding the best starter among a group of winners.

For the fans who focus on the fact Rosier and Shirreffs couldn't beat out Kaaya, have you considered they got very little focus or coaching by J Coley and were far behind in their development relative to Kaaya 18 months ago when Richt took over the team? If we all believe he's a "QB whisperer", isn't it reasonable to assume Rosier and Shirreffs have made great strides since then, especially with Richt's full attention after Kaaya declared in January?
If they made great strides then Richt wouldn't be hinting at the competition going on throughout the season. Rosier and Evan are probably very close to their respective ceiling at this point. Perry evidently has a higher ceiling.

It will be a two qb system until Perry can separate himself and then it's Perry's team.

3. But, the good news is that all 4 guys can play the game and manage his system.
4. The Freshmen made major strides each of the past two weeks and he wants to be patient to see if they can continue to make that type of progress.
5. Even if he names a starter, he'll keep the competition going until someone establishes himself as the clear leader in a real game. He shared the story of Cory Phillips vs. David Greene at Georgia, where he had them alternate every 2 series in the first game, and Greene completed 10+ passes in a row and started every game after that.

My conclusion: We're too worried about this, and especially too negative about Rosier and Shirreffs. ... This competition isn't about finding one winner among 4 suboptimal choices. Richt already believes his QBs are good enough to win. It's about finding the best starter among a group of winners.

For the fans who focus on the fact Rosier and Shirreffs couldn't beat out Kaaya, have you considered they got very little focus or coaching by J Coley and were far behind in their development relative to Kaaya 18 months ago when Richt took over the team? If we all believe he's a "QB whisperer", isn't it reasonable to assume Rosier and Shirreffs have made great strides since then, especially with Richt's full attention after Kaaya declared in January?
If they made great strides then Richt wouldn't be hinting at the competition going on throughout the season. Rosier and Evan are probably very close to their respective ceiling at this point. Perry evidently has a higher ceiling.

It will be a two qb system until Perry can separate himself and then it's Perry's team.

Their respective ceilings can't be determined by what they've done in practice to this point. Jon Richt just said that Rosier reminds him of Aaron Murray when he does what they tell him to do. If they get him to do it right over and over he can be "really, really, really good". His words. 2017 Perry isn't playing over Rosier's ceiling if that evaluation is even close to being true.

Why do people continue to assume a true freshman will simply assert his will and separate? Even if some people are right and Richt wants Perry to win the job that doesn't guarantee that Perry will do that. Most true freshman QBs are never ready in their first year. If one of the older players plays well early and are winning all that talk about constantly evaluating the position is going to go out the window. Richt won't pull that guy no matter how well Perry's developing in his limited snaps.

Last edited:
This thread is a lot of words for little news.

We knew before any of this started that Perry wasn't likely to be ready after two weeks of practice. And by wasn't lilely to be ready, I mean 'at all.'

We knew -- or should have known -- that Richt was going to play the kid who gives us the best chance of winning THIS YEAR. Any other concluson is not credible.

So all that leaves for debate is the theoretical possibility that Perry, who unsusprisingly is not ready yet, might become ready by throwing him out there against crappy teams early. That is the sort of theoretical possibility that its impossible to have an informed view on without being in the room with the staff reviewig film.

The logical assumption is at it would be incredibly risky for richt to toss perry out early in the HOPE that it helps him progress to be ready later in the season. You just don't know what his pace will be for development. It is not knowable.

So the only logical thing to expect, in the absence of Perry showing he is ready on the field this month, is either of the other guys is the starter. If Perry is somewhat ready, he will get some mop up opportunities. If he doesnt, you can assume he isn't close to ready.

Just because perry has more upside in theory doesnt mean he is better today.

Last edited:
Lol at sheriffs or rosier being the difference in a 10 win season. They should have played over kaaya last year then.

Tee Martin should have played over Peyton Manning.

Tee martin better than rosier.

First, you know Tee did well because it already happened. You're just guessing on Rosier based on nothing.

You're really missing the point though. Manning was better than Tee. Tee couldn't beat Manning out, which was your argument on why Rosier can't take us to better results than Kaaya. On top of that, Manning is better than Kaaya. Manning is better than Kaaya too if you want to play those games. Yet Tee improved the team results.

There are a million examples of guys who couldn't beat out the incumbent QB who led the team to equal or greater heights when they got their chance.

Advertisement
It's abundantly clear there won't be a locked in starter come game one. It'll be a two man rotation. As has been stated, seems pretty clear Richt wants Perry to get snaps so the only question remaining is who gets shown the door out of Sheriffs or Perry. Whoever is the odd one out will probably never play here.

Please show us where it's clear that Rick wants to eliminate Shirreffs or Rosier from the ongoing competition.

Sounding like the odd man out will be ES

We knew before any of this started that Perry wasn't likely to be ready after two weeks of practice. And by wasn't lilely to be ready, I mean 'at all.'

We knew -- or should have known -- that Richt was going to play the kid who gives us the best chance of winning THIS YEAR. Any other concluson is not credible.

So all that leaves for debate is the theoretical possibility that Perry, who unsusprisingly is not ready yet, might become ready by throwing him out there against crappy teams early. That is the sort of theoretical possibility that its impossible to have an informed view on without being in the room with the staff reviewig film.

The logical assumption is at it would be incredibly risky for richt to toss perry out early in the HOPE that it helps him progress to be ready later in the season. You just don't know what his pace will be for development. It is not knowable.

So the only logical thing to expect, in the absence of Perry showing he is ready on the field this month, is either of the other guys is the starter. If Perry is somewhat ready, he will get some mop up opportunities. If he doesnt, you can assume he isn't close to ready.

Yes, everything you say is true.

But the reason there's a ton of discussion, is to put it, quite frankly, the position of a few insiders who are absolutely in the bag for Perry. And in my opinion, have lost objectivity.

Not a slam on them, this the best site in all of college football, and they are absolute beasts in getting us information, but this is one where their reach exceeded their grasp. I just don't think they're right about what the outcome will be with Perry, simply because he's a non-early enrollee true freshmens and even the highest rated five star quarterbacks, 99.9% of them are not ready their first year, especially for a high pass responsibility offense.

Sounding like the odd man out will be ES

EthnicSands?

This place won't survive without him

Advertisement

Yes, everything you say is true.

But the reason there's a ton of discussion, is to put it, quite frankly, the position of a few insiders who are absolutely in the bag for Perry. And in my opinion, have lost objectivity.

Not a slam on them, this the best site in all of college football, and they are absolute beasts in getting us information, but this is one where their reach exceeded their grasp. I just don't think they're right about what the outcome will be with Perry, simply because he's a non-early enrollee true freshmens and even the highest rated five star quarterbacks, 99.9% of them are not ready their first year, especially for a high pass responsibility offense.

They've just been wrong.

Fans often have a hard time putting their hopes aside to be rational. That is on display in this thread.

Their respective ceilings can't be determined by what they've done in practice to this point. Jon Richt just said that Rosier reminds him of Aaron Murray when he does what they tell him to do. If they get him to do it right over and over he can be "really, really, really good". His words. 2017 Perry isn't playing over Rosier's ceiling if that evaluation is even close to being true.

Why do people continue to assume a true freshman will simply assert his will and separate? Even if some people are right and Richt wants Perry to win the job that doesn't guarantee that Perry will do that. Most true freshman QBs are never ready in their first year. If one of the older players plays well early and are winning all that talk about constantly evaluating the position is going to go out the window. Richt won't pull that guy no matter how well Perry's developing in his limited snaps.

That's the way I'm looking at it [MENTION=2526]fincane[/MENTION], I asked the question yesterday, why would you pull a guy, who is doing well, just to give the freshman more reps... It doesn't make sense.

Lol at sheriffs or rosier being the difference in a 10 win season. They should have played over kaaya last year then.

Tee Martin should have played over Peyton Manning.

Tee martin better than rosier.

First, you know Tee did well because it already happened. You're just guessing on Rosier based on nothing.

You're really missing the point though. Manning was better than Tee. Tee couldn't beat Manning out, which was your argument on why Rosier can't take us to better results than Kaaya. On top of that, Manning is better than Kaaya. Manning is better than Kaaya too if you want to play those games. Yet Tee improved the team results.

There are a million examples of guys who couldn't beat out the incumbent QB who led the team to equal or greater heights when they got their chance.

What is rosier hype based off? Being average vs a horrible duke defense 2 years ago? Being average in a scrimmage for the first time all off season?

Fans often have a hard time putting their hopes aside to be rational. That is on display in this thread.

A rational person wouldn't be pontificating without seeing any of the evidence.

Richt has watched Shirreffs and Rosier for two years, and he's still giving two freshmen every chance to win the job in the third week of August. How many Top 25 teams are still having four-way QB battles this deep into camp with two true freshmen competing? If you want to make "rational" assumptions, start with that fact.

I said it right in the OP: I am hoping that Perry wins the job. But that hope is based on a rational appraisal of the quarterbacks we have.

You, fincane and The Svengali have made hundreds of posts about Rosier since Kaaya went pro, without a scintilla of visual evidence of how he's playing in practice. And we're the ones in the bag.

You should be wondering why Brooklyndee-- who has claimed no dog in this fight -- is saying the same things we are.

fincane said:
Their respective ceilings can't be determined by what they've done in practice to this point
If Richt taught me how to throw for two years, he'd probably have a pretty good grasp of my limitations. A live game is different, but skillset is skillset.

I have an honest question: if "college football history" and scrimmage performance make it so obvious that this is the year to start a veteran, why are two true freshmen still in the competition? It's the third week of August. Why aren't we repping the guys who give us the best chance to win?

Advertisement

Richt has watched Shirreffs and Rosier for two years, and he's still giving two freshmen every chance to win the job in the third week of August. How many Top 25 teams are still having four-way QB battles this deep into camp with two true freshmen competing? If you want to make "rational" assumptions, start with that fact.

I said it right in the OP: I am hoping that Perry wins the job. But that hope is based on a rational appraisal of the quarterbacks we have.

You, fincane and The Svengali have made hundreds of posts about Rosier since Kaaya went pro, without a scintilla of visual evidence of how he's playing in practice. And we're the ones in the bag.

You should be wondering why Brooklyndee-- who has claimed no dog in this fight -- is saying the same things we are.

fincane said:
Their respective ceilings can't be determined by what they've done in practice to this point
If Richt taught me how to throw for two years, he'd probably have a pretty good grasp of my limitations. A live game is different, but skillset is skillset.

I have an honest question: if "college football history" and scrimmage performance make it so obvious that this is the year to start a veteran, why are two true freshmen still in the competition? It's the third week of August. Why aren't we repping the guys who give us the best chance to win?

Considering what Richt said yesterday the two freshman aren't really in the race. There is a clear difference between the two groups and Richt out of a sense of fairness is giving them another week. You've got Rumph talking exclusively about the veterans in an interview and actually siding with one. But clearly the race is tight. I suspect Richt will have a talk with Rumph about being so open.

I haven't made hundreds of posts about Rosier. I've made posts to counter the inane notion that a true freshman would enroll at Miami and just win the job after missing the spring "because the other guys suck". And what do you know he's not ready. He's struggling to throw against air in drills before practice really starts and still having issues with ball security but he's still in the race, ok. He better have one **** of a week or he'll be out by Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
Considering what Richt said yesterday the two freshman aren't really in the race. There is a clear difference between the two groups and Richt out of a sense of fairness is giving them another week.

Richt said they are in the race and are getting first-team reps. From that you deduce, "they aren't really in the race." If they weren't in the race, they wouldn't be taking valuable first-team reps.

I haven't made hundreds of posts about Rosier. I've made posts to counter the inane notion that a true freshman would enroll at Miami and just win the job after missing the spring "because the other guys suck".
In other words, the same exact thing that happened last time there was a quarterback race. But now it's an "inane notion."

If it doesn't happen now, it doesn't happen. That's how predictions and projections go. Based on what I've seen, it's inevitable that Perry will get his chance as a starter before the other two graduate. So I hope it happens sooner than later.

fincane said:

No, I'm in the bag for any one of the Veteran QB's, because I want to win now --I'll take either Evan or Rosier, and I have consistently wrote that in this thread. This is not a rebuilding year, this team is ready to go now, and a vet will give this team the best chance to win THIS SEASON, even if we need to play "Dilfer ball", because we have a championship caliber defense and a sound run game. You can win at any level with that simple formula.

What we don't need is a true freshman under center that's been on campus for a little over a month. It would be tantamount to irresponsible coaching to plug Perry in there when you have a team with a legit shot at winning the ACC and playoff aspirations.

I think Rosier is a better "fit" for the RPO, and I have actually seen Rosier play well in a live game, with my own two eyes, so that's my personal preference. But I have no problems if the choice is Evan. I'll have a a BIG problem with it, however, if the choice is Perry, because that's playing for 2018

Advertisement

fincane said:

Considering what Richt said yesterday the two freshman aren't really in the race. There is a clear difference between the two groups and Richt out of a sense of fairness is giving them another week. You've got Rumph talking exclusively about the veterans in an interview and actually siding with one. But clearly the race is tight. I suspect Richt will have a talk with Rumph about being so open.

I haven't made hundreds of posts about Rosier. I've made posts to counter the inane notion that a true freshman would enroll at Miami and just win the job after missing the spring "because the other guys suck". And what do you know he's not ready. He's struggling to throw against air in drills before practice really starts and still having issues with ball security but he's still in the race, ok. He better have one **** of a week or he'll be out by Saturday afternoon.

Rumph also said perry has a very strong arm and loves the deep ball. Once the game slows down throughout he season we are going to need him to step up if not start

Considering what Richt said yesterday the two freshman aren't really in the race. There is a clear difference between the two groups and Richt out of a sense of fairness is giving them another week.

Richt said they are in the race and are getting first-team reps. From that you deduce, "they aren't really in the race." If they weren't in the race, they wouldn't be taking valuable first-team reps.

I haven't made hundreds of posts about Rosier. I've made posts to counter the inane notion that a true freshman would enroll at Miami and just win the job after missing the spring "because the other guys suck".
In other words, the same exact thing that happened last time there was a quarterback race. But now it's an "inane notion."

If it doesn't happen now, it doesn't happen. That's how predictions and projections go. Based on what I've seen, it's inevitable that Perry will get his chance as a starter before the other two graduate. So I hope it happens sooner than later.

When Kaaya won it, we were building for the future and we didn't have championship caliber team, bro! Also Ryan Williams got hurt or the job was easily his---we had no choice but to go with Kaaya, because nothing was in front of him, outside of a Heaps. More importantly, that team went 6-7.

6-7!! With pros all over the offense!!! Are you serious right now??

Last edited:

When Kaaya won it, we were building for the future and we didn't have championship caliber team, bro! Also Ryan Williams got hurt or the job was easily his---we had no choice but to go with Kaaya, because nothing was in front of him, outside of a Heaps. More importantly, that team went 6-7.

6-7!! With pros all over the offense!!! Are you serious right now??

Ryan Williams tore his ACL in march what qb you know is going to be back healthy enough to play a season upcoming in 6 months?

The Rosier stuff is mind blowing. I have no idea how anyone is comfortable with the idea of him starting. My friend is constantly at practice, D$ can vouch for the source, takes another one of our boys out there last week and the first thing I get is "holy **** Rosier ******* blows".

Not the first, second or third time I've seen messages like that either. Literally no one that has seen that kid play says "well **** I'm totally good with him starting and winning 10 games". Because he's brutal.

Its easy to tout his spring game stats against the 2's and look at Perry and say he's not ready in his first live action vs what's probably a top 5-10 defense nationally this year.

The good news is that both liked what the saw from Shirreffs and are waaay more comfortable with that option even if he has his own limitations as a passer.

Advertisement
Back