Something we may see this week

Posted this in another thread but seems appropriate here...

I'm interested to see how the QB(s) perform on timing routes.

Everyone talks about arm strength, mobility, etc. and that all matters, and it's great if they can hit the bubbles and the deep ball. But as much heat as Kaaya takes on here, it's easy to take for granted how well he was able to hit Ahmmon on a slant or 12-to-10, or Njoku between the LBs and safety. Though he was off at times, he definitely put the ball on those guys and allowed them to make big plays, e.g. Ahmmon in the bowl game. A lot of those aren't big plays if the timing is off by a split second or if the throw isn't on point.

That's big deal, especially with all the talent we have at WR. I hope between the three options we have at QB that someone can really make the offense go by putting the ball in the right place and at the right time consistently.

My fear is that when these guys aren't looking so good (e.g. the "reports" on Rosier looking bad), it's on these types of routes. If we're accurate on bubbles and deep balls but can't hit anything on time or in the middle of the field, our O will be severely handicapped at best and turning the ball over at worst.

Kaaya also had long stretches where he would throw a 6 yard pass in the dirt or inexplicably sail it over the receiver's head. He was super accurate at times and scatter armed for lengthy stretches. He was far from perfect on those short routes.

No doubt. Sometimes he downright sucked for way too long and it really hurt our chances to win.

But it's entirely possible that we plug a new guy in who is scatter armed for stretches but doesn't have the super accurate stretches.

Advertisement

Everyone talks about arm strength, mobility, etc. and that all matters, and it's great if they can hit the bubbles and the deep ball. But as much heat as Kaaya takes on here, it's easy to take for granted how well he was able to hit Ahmmon on a slant or 12-to-10, or Njoku between the LBs and safety. Though he was off at times, he definitely put the ball on those guys and allowed them to make big plays, e.g. Ahmmon in the bowl game. A lot of those aren't big plays if the timing is off by a split second or if the throw isn't on point.

That's big deal, especially with all the talent we have at WR. I hope between the three options we have at QB that someone can really make the offense go by putting the ball in the right place and at the right time consistently.

My fear is that when these guys aren't looking so good (e.g. the "reports" on Rosier looking bad), it's on these types of routes. If we're accurate on bubbles and deep balls but can't hit anything on time or in the middle of the field, our O will be severely handicapped at best and turning the ball over at worst.

Kaaya also had long stretches where he would throw a 6 yard pass in the dirt or inexplicably sail it over the receiver's head. He was super accurate at times and scatter armed for lengthy stretches. He was far from perfect on those short routes.

No doubt. Sometimes he downright sucked for way too long and it really hurt our chances to win.

But it's entirely possible that we plug a new guy in who is scatter armed for stretches but doesn't have the super accurate stretches.

That is absolutely possible. It's also possible that the new guy does a better overall job in the system Rick wants to run and that we take the next step as a program. We shall see.

That is absolutely possible. It's also possible that the new guy does a better overall job in the system Rick wants to run and that we take the next step as a program. We shall see.

From your lips...

From your lips...

...to Dan Sileo's balloon knot. :muscat:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back