Something we may see this week

I want all you folks in the "Perry should start" camp to say this out loud, and see if it makes sense.

"We went through Coker, Shannon, Shapiro, the NCAA cloud, and Al Golden/Onofrio, and after more than a decade, we finally have a team that can win big right now and a championship caliber defense, but I want a true freshman that's been on campus one month to start at QB and lead this team"

Look in the mirror and see those words out loud. When you hear yourselves actually utter those words out loud you'll then realize how insane the idea is.

You guys are out of your **** minds. Give me Rosier or Even so we can go takes what's ours

I think it's important to differentiate between the "Perry should start" and the "Perry will start" camps.

Advertisement
Does anyone kind of think we're going 9-3 regardless of who starts?

Would definitely be disappointing.

If somehow we get to the ACCCG at 9-3, then that gives us a chance to be 10-4 or 11-3.

10-4 or 11-3 would be the best record on 12 years, show progress, and mostly keep our recruiting class intact.

My aspiration is no worse than 10-2 in the regular season.

In my opinion, our ceiling with Malik or Shireffs is a 9 win season, and I think Richt knows that too. That would explain the itch he has to give Perry all the chances in the world to win the job.

Also, if we are indeed punting to 2018, might as well give the kid as many starts as possible, especially with this pancake schedule.
Let black Jesus sling it, really don't have much to lose.

As richt said today even if a starter is named the competition will continue into the season. That's not to say the veterans arent doing well, they are. But it says a lot about his confidence in nkosi and how he may grow over the next few weeks and early part of the season

Yes because it would only be N'Kosi competing with the starter into the season. It wouldn't be Shirreffs competing with Rosier or visa versa if one of them wins the job.

In my opinion, our ceiling with Malik or Shireffs is a 9 win season, and I think Richt knows that too. That would explain the itch he has to give Perry all the chances in the world to win the job.

Also, if we are indeed punting to 2018, might as well give the kid as many starts as possible, especially with this pancake schedule.

As richt said today even if a starter is named the competition will continue into the season. That's not to say the veterans arent doing well, they are. But it says a lot about his confidence in nkosi and how he may grow over the next few weeks and early part of the season

Yes because it would only be N'Kosi competing with the starter into the season. It wouldn't be Shirreffs competing with Rosier or visa versa if one of them wins the job.

That is correct.

Perry will be gifted the 2nd spot irregardless of scrimmage performance or how little of the playbook he's picked up.

That's clear from Rick's comments.

I understand that part, [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION], so once again he's grooming Perry for the foreseeable future. Let's just say Rosier is grinding out tough wins, of course playing well enough, will Richt find a way to still stick Perry in those games, somehow? That's the part that's throwing me off.

Advertisement
If we put Perry under center this season, we are essentially playing for next year, because never in the history of college football have we seen a true freshman QB, in a sophisticated passing attack go gangbusters.

Except for our last one, who led the ACC in passing and passer rating.

Yeah DMoney....you forgot to mention we also went 6-7 with that TRUE freshmen who led the ACC in passing (which we don't care about) and passer rating (which we double don't care about).

Kaaya had a good freshman season. But we absolutely have seen it at clemson with Watson his freshman season

Deshaun Watson didn't start the year and didn't win 10 games and got hurt. He also only started 6 games his freshman year. Lets just leave out that Watson was one of the best college QBs of all time. Unless you're predicting Perry will be one of the best college QBs to ever play bringing up Watson is asinine.
I said nothing about Watson starting out the gate as a freshman..... Watson absolute did go off his freshman year with 67.8% 14 touchdowns 2 ints 188.2 rating in a season he was hurt for a chunk of the season

He threw six TDs in one game against UNC. Threw 3 more against South Carolina State and two more against South Carolina. That is 11 TDs against the 120th ranked D, the 94th ranked D and a FCS school. Watson had a good year but sometimes numbers lie. Much like Kaaya's freshman year.

Adding to this, Deshaun Watson was an early enrollee

adding to this..Clemson isnt a sophisticated offense

Only an idiot would concede this season and look towards 2018.

Win the fūck NOW.

Of course, but don't you think there's a palpable lack of confidence in the top 2 guys right now? Richt knows what he's got. I'm saying if there isn't a huge discrepancy, go with the upside. You disagree?

Only an idiot would concede this season and look towards 2018.

Win the fūck NOW.

Of course, but don't you think there's a palpable lack of confidence in the top 2 guys right now? Richt knows what he's got. I'm saying if there isn't a huge discrepancy, go with the upside. You disagree?

There's a huge discrepancy right now.

What I agree with, is play the quarterback that gives you the best chance to win. Whoever that is. If somebody was leading by a hair, then they play. Because that hair might be the difference between nine wins or 10 wins.

Win now.

At all costs.

Advertisement
Lol at sheriffs or rosier being the difference in a 10 win season. They should have played over kaaya last year then.

Lol at sheriffs or rosier being the difference in a 10 win season. They should have played over kaaya last year then.

The rest of our team is mostly better (not at TE) and the rest of the Coastal is worse.

I want Perry to win the job. Richt, I believe, wants Perry to win the job. Simply put: the closer Perry gets to his ceiling, the better chance we have of winning big.

But wishing doesn't change what happens on the field. Richt can't just hand him the job if he's not ready. The main thing that is going to accelerate the process is reps. When Kaaya won the job as a true freshman, it was a two-man battle. This has been a four-man race.

So I hope this competition gets cut to two players this week. Richt already alluded to this in his post-scrimmage presser. We've seen enough from Rosier and Shirreffs for Richt to have a preference. They are what they are and any improvements will be incremental. Pick one (without an announcement) and give the first team reps to that guy and Perry.

"They are what they are , any improvements will be incremental." From your paragraph yesterday. Fast forward this clip to 12:00, richt pretty much stated the same thing..
https://youtu.be/uK-ADPs4jeI

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tee Martin should have played over Peyton Manning.

Tee martin better than rosier.
A lot. Martin had a 144.4 passer rating in 1998 when he took over for Manning (who put up a 147.7 rating in 1997). I will literally eat my hat if we get that kind of production from Rosier.

The lack of critical thinking skills is stupefying.

It's sad when people don't even begin to understand a simplistic analogy and go off an a tangent based on a literal and invalid direct comparison.

And the QB who gives us the best chance to win in September may not be the same guy as in November.

I trust Richt to make the right decision. But it's a tough spot to be in.

It's not that tough. Play the best guy now because there are no gimmies outside of BCC to start the year. If someone falters or loses confidence then go with the next guy.

This assumption that only Perry can improve over the course of a season is fallacy. Rosier or Shirreffs can also hone their game early and get better just like they have between spring and fall.

Im on the Perry bandwagon(not even sure why to be honest) but whoever gives us the best chance to win the most amount of games this upcoming season(which last I checked is the only one Miami can really control) - that's the QB I want. Bottom line.

Now, that can mean playing multiple QB's or one may emerge. But it should make everyone uneasy to think that a particular individual was annointed the job. Isn't that how Kevin Sumlin got into some trouble at A@M

If this was a rebuilding year, yeah, go with youth(Perry or Weldon) for the investment of going with upside/ceiling. But with this type of squad? You owe it to the whole program to play to win NOW.

You play to win the games.

OK, can someone give us a Herman Edwards gif, here?

200w (15).gif200w (16).gif

If you believe Richt, then just listen to his press briefing today. He said:

1. He would go with the upperclassmen if he had to play a game today.
2. Rosier and Shirreffs are playing like veterans.
3. But, the good news is that all 4 guys can play the game and manage his system.
4. The Freshmen made major strides each of the past two weeks and he wants to be patient to see if they can continue to make that type of progress.
5. Even if he names a starter, he'll keep the competition going until someone establishes himself as the clear leader in a real game. He shared the story of Cory Phillips vs. David Greene at Georgia, where he had them alternate every 2 series in the first game, and Greene completed 10+ passes in a row and started every game after that.

My conclusion: We're too worried about this, and especially too negative about Rosier and Shirreffs. ... This competition isn't about finding one winner among 4 suboptimal choices. Richt already believes his QBs are good enough to win. It's about finding the best starter among a group of winners.

For the fans who focus on the fact Rosier and Shirreffs couldn't beat out Kaaya, have you considered they got very little focus or coaching by J Coley and were far behind in their development relative to Kaaya 18 months ago when Richt took over the team? If we all believe he's a "QB whisperer", isn't it reasonable to assume Rosier and Shirreffs have made great strides since then, especially with Richt's full attention after Kaaya declared in January?

Advertisement
Back