Something we may see this week

Apparently I am in the minority, but I think we should start whichever guy gives us the best chance to win this season, and focus on making sure he is ready for the meat of the schedule.

If Perry legitimately wins the job, that's great, start him.

If he doesn't, but continues working his tail off, watches film relentlessly and prepares himself as if he were a D1 starting QB, give him the look if/when a change is needed because the guy(s) ahead of him aren't getting it done. If he is the next man up, it better be because he's proven he is ready to be the next man up.

I am not a fan of managing the position for his eventual takeover until he proves he is in fact the guy to take it over.

Advertisement
After listening to Rick ream out Fairy German in the latest press conference, I think he's talking about trimming down the QB competition from 4 to 3, not 3 to 2. He made sure to let everyone know Cade is still in the mix today.

I am not a fan of managing the position for his eventual takeover until he proves he is in fact the guy to take it over.

Kaaya's departure forced our hand here.

Richt inherited Kaaya and the giant pile of triceratops **** from Jurassic Park at the QB position.

It's either waste everyone's time with two goofballs who couldn't separate from themselves during spring/summer, or protect the one kid with talent until he's ready to take full control of the ship when it exits the security of the bay and enters open water.

After listening to Rick ream out Fairy German in the latest press conference, I think he's talking about trimming down the QB competition from 4 to 3, not 3 to 2. He made sure to let everyone know Cade is still in the mix today.

You thinking one of the upper classmen doesn't make the top 3?

BTW this thread is full of solid back and forth. Been a good one

Based on everything that's been said and reported, I suspect Weldon is #4 . As you saw/read in the chat on Saturday, I think the most reasonable thing, if Richt absolutely felt the need to cut down the competition now, was to go from 4 to 3. There isn't a deadline here.

Happy birthday, by the way.

Advertisement
Maybe Perry isn't the future. But if he is, it would be ideal to break him in with BCC, Arkansas State, Toledo, Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse defenses.

This is what people have to consider. Even if we score 20 ppg, I'd rather run a retardedly dumbed-down offense with Perry and expedite his growth with actual game experience unless he's flat-out going to redshirt.

Are you willing to lose some games so he can have that chance? If somebody else gives us the best shot at winning this year are you ok with sitting that guy so Perry can maybe get better?

I say take our best shot at winning right now and let the future sort itself out.

It seems like some of these guys are under the illusion that UM can just roll our helmets on the field and beat teams like Duke and GT. ****, you fck around enough with turnovers, and you can lose to a high-octane Toledo offense.

These "gimmes" to start the season aren't as sure-fire as guys are making them sound if your QB winds up being a limited disaster who can only run a handful of plays.

I don't want to give teams like Duke or Toledo too much credit, but stranger things have happened. Even great teams have to go out and play every week, and this is half a great team at best. I don't think we'll lose those kinds of games, but we'll need a little production or at least the ability to run some clock from whoever wins the job. If we end up with an INT machine it's going to be a long year.

What I took from it is Malik and Evan are only ahead right now because they've been in the system longer. That's all, they're only ahead by default.

What I took from it is Malik and Evan are only ahead right now because they've been in the system longer. That's all, they're only ahead by default.

Default or not, they're still ahead.

Funny how both Malik and Evan can give you at least one more year of eligibility. So for all that talk of preparing for the future, if either of those two are the better players now you can play the guy that gives you the best chance at winning while still preparing for the future all in one player.

Stop putting Perry on the pedestal

Based on everything that's been said and reported, I suspect Weldon is #4 . As you saw/read in the chat on Saturday, I think the most reasonable thing, if Richt absolutely felt the need to cut down the competition now, was to go from 4 to 3. There isn't a deadline here.

Happy birthday, by the way.

Agreed. Just was wondering what Chise was getting to. If he thinks Richt is trimming down the QB comp to 3 but is alluding that Weldon is still in the mix, then does he think one of the upperclassmen gets dropped from that rotation?

and thanks brotha, I appreciate it

Advertisement

Funny how both Malik and Evan can give you at least one more year of eligibility. So for all that talk of preparing for the future, if either of those two are the better players now you can play the guy that gives you the best chance at winning while still preparing for the future all in one player.

And Evan still has 3 years to play, when you included this season. But he can't improve???????

Cade will be the first casualty.

Maybe Perry isn't the future. But if he is, it would be ideal to break him in with BCC, Arkansas State, Toledo, Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse defenses.

This is what people have to consider. Even if we score 20 ppg, I'd rather run a retardedly dumbed-down offense with Perry and expedite his growth with actual game experience unless he's flat-out going to redshirt.

Are you willing to lose some games so he can have that chance? If somebody else gives us the best shot at winning this year are you ok with sitting that guy so Perry can maybe get better?

I say take our best shot at winning right now and let the future sort itself out.

It seems like some of these guys are under the illusion that UM can just roll our helmets on the field and beat teams like Duke and GT. ****, you fck around enough with turnovers, and you can lose to a high-octane Toledo offense.

These "gimmes" to start the season aren't as sure-fire as guys are making them sound if your QB winds up being a limited disaster who can only run a handful of plays.

This rightcheeyah

The QB handles has the ball on virtually 100% of all the offensive plays.

Put a guy in that has the 1,000 yard stare, still has the heebie jeebies under center, is still learning the playbook, and hasn't even adjusted to the speed of the game, and you'll be losing plenty of games you shouldn't.

He's either going to be ready at a high level, or at least a competent one, or he's not going to be ready at all. And 99.99999% of highly touted 4 & 5 star freshmens quarterbacks that have been on campus just a few weeks, would NOT be ready.

It wouldn't be unheard of that a highly valued and sought prospect would not even be ready to take meaningful snaps until much later in the season, like the eighth, ninth or tenth games.

Anything is possible at this point. It's possible that Perry has the light go on in the next couple of weeks, and starts tearing it up. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.

It's also possible that he needs a full year to get his head right and get his confidence to the level that it needs to be. Nobody knows except only the coaches that are watching his current trajectory and where he's headed.

"The plan," if Rick isn't braindead, should be to play the QB he thinks we can win the most games with. It should have nothing to do with making Perry the starter later in the season.

And the QB who gives us the best chance to win in September may not be the same guy as in November.

I trust Richt to make the right decision. But it's a tough spot to be in.

It's not that tough. Play the best guy now because there are no gimmies outside of BCC to start the year. If someone falters or loses confidence then go with the next guy.

This assumption that only Perry can improve over the course of a season is fallacy. Rosier or Shirreffs can also hone their game early and get better just like they have between spring and fall.

Im on the Perry bandwagon(not even sure why to be honest) but whoever gives us the best chance to win the most amount of games this upcoming season(which last I checked is the only one Miami can really control) - that's the QB I want. Bottom line.

Now, that can mean playing multiple QB's or one may emerge. But it should make everyone uneasy to think that a particular individual was annointed the job. Isn't that how Kevin Sumlin got into some trouble at A@M?

If this was a rebuilding year, yeah, go with youth(Perry or Weldon) for the investment of going with upside/ceiling. But with this type of squad? You owe it to the whole program to play to win NOW.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I was being objective in my statement just saying what it sounds like TO ME. Besides if Malik is a pick magnet he won't play anyway.

"The plan," if Rick isn't braindead, should be to play the QB he thinks we can win the most games with. It should have nothing to do with making Perry the starter later in the season.

And the QB who gives us the best chance to win in September may not be the same guy as in November.

It's not that tough. Play the best guy now because there are no gimmies outside of BCC to start the year. If someone falters or loses confidence then go with the next guy.

This assumption that only Perry can improve over the course of a season is fallacy. Rosier or Shirreffs can also hone their game early and get better just like they have between spring and fall.

Im on the Perry bandwagon(not even sure why to be honest) but whoever gives us the best chance to win the most amount of games this upcoming season(which last I checked is the only one Miami can really control) - that's the QB I want. Bottom line.

Now, that can mean playing multiple QB's or one may emerge. But it should make everyone uneasy to think that a particular individual was annointed the job. Isn't that how Kevin Sumlin got into some trouble at A@M

If this was a rebuilding year, yeah, go with youth(Perry or Weldon) for the investment of going with upside/ceiling. But with this type of squad? You owe it to the whole program to play to win NOW.

You play to win the games.

Apparently I am in the minority, but I think we should start whichever guy gives us the best chance to win this season, and focus on making sure he is ready for the meat of the schedule.

If he doesn't, but continues working his tail off, watches film relentlessly and prepares himself as if he were a D1 starting QB, give him the look if/when a change is needed because the guy(s) ahead of him aren't getting it done. If he is the next man up, it better be because he's proven he is ready to be the next man up.

With many/most of the best players nowadays staying just 3 years, you owe it to them and everyone else to play to win for that season(unless it's a complete reconstruction of a program). Im with you all the way on this. This team is too good and talented to just throw away a year for the sake of breaking in anybody at any position

Advertisement

Now, that can mean playing multiple QB's or one may emerge. But it should make everyone uneasy to think that a particular individual was annointed the job. Isn't that how Kevin Sumlin got into some trouble at A@M

You play to win the games.

OK, can someone give us a Herman Edwards gif, here?

With many/most of the best players nowadays staying just 3 years, you owe it to them and everyone else to play to win for that season(unless it's a complete reconstruction of a program). Im with you all the way on this. This team is too good and talented to just throw away a year for the sake of breaking in anybody at any position

10000000000% ----this is exactly what I have been hollaring to anyone that will listen

10000000000% ----this is exactly what I have been hollaring to anyone that will listen

I really think if Perry was an early entrant to UM ,we'd be having a different discussion. But he wasn't so with that said you play the hand your dealt. IMO, with this defense you only need by today's standard an average college offense(28 or so points) to really have a big year. Think about it, last year during the October tailspin, that side of the ball failed to score 21 points for about a whole month. For as much heat as he takes from this board, Brad Kaaya was till UM's best option for QB in 2017, IMO.

But he's in Detroit, soooooo....

Last edited:
Whew. This was a long read. Perry may be the most physically gifted QB on the roster but with a team that won with Ken Dorsey you would think the fanbase would realize the mental aspect can be far more important.

The 2 upper classman not being able to separate from each other for different reasons does not mean they have not separated themselves from everyone else. Not sure why people are trying to use this as a reason to just go with the 3rd option?

Wanting to take away practice time from one of your top two options and give it to the 3rd? So if you made the wrong decision on the 1a option then your 1b is even further behind? All while citing that both 1a and 1b don't have game experience.

Saying college players can't get better or improve? I mean, there are players who improved at a much older age in the NFL.

This reminds me of every time some physically gifted QB comes into the NFL. All the people gush over his physical tools but he might not have the mental tools to really do what he needs. Then all of a sudden its everyone else's fault that he didn't get his fair shake or he is being judged wrongly.

Advertisement
Back