Something we may see this week

The logic is Blake Sims was a good RB, so that completely debunks the thought that there were more talented QBs on Alabaga's roster when he got the starting job and let them to a great season as a QB.

Who is Alabama's single-season passing leader?
Sims was such a great QB that he was playing RB or WR at Alabaga and didn't see the field until his last season.

There was a dude about 12 years ago who set every passing record in CA, which has a much richer history of producing QBs than the state of Alabaga. I think his name was David Kolor or something like that. He wound up somewhere (maybe it was FSU) as a walk on and never played.

Don't tell me about Sims' HS exploits I. QB depleted Alabaga. What was he doing as a college player at Alabaga? Were there more "talented" QBs on the Alabaga roster when he took the starting job as a senior?

He is the University of Alabama's single-season passing leader. He's from Georgia.

And you're playing the result. He was a RB or WR at Alabaga and rode the bench his entire career. You would have had him in the same boat as Rosier during the final QB battle he won.

Can you honestly look me in the keyboard and tell me there was anyone clamoring for Sims to be the starter or that there weren't more classically talented QBs on Alabaga's roster when Sims won the gig?

Advertisement
man, you are too rigid in your thinking. it is not one or the other. if we play rosier or sheriffs early, it does not mean that perry won't be given some snaps here and there in order to get ready for the meat of the schedule. ****, it could be rosier and then sheriffs overtaking him or the opposite and then perry. god knows.

This is where I think we are heading. Here are my reservations with that approach:

1) The proposal in the OP is based on the assumption that Richt already has a preference between Rosier and Shirreffs. Maybe he doesn't. But if he does, I'm far less concerned about the veteran backup's reps. Hence the proposal.

2) Perry isn't your standard "package" guy because he's not great at designed runs. His game is passing. Which leads to #3 :

3) If we are engineering reps for Perry in games, what's wrong with engineering reps for him in practice?

Maybe Perry isn't the future. But if he is, it would be ideal to break him in with BCC, Arkansas State, Toledo, Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse defenses.

man, you are too rigid in your thinking. it is not one or the other. if we play rosier or sheriffs early, it does not mean that perry won't be given some snaps here and there in order to get ready for the meat of the schedule. ****, it could be rosier and then sheriffs overtaking him or the opposite and then perry. god knows.

This is where I think we are heading. Here are my reservations with that approach:

1) The proposal in the OP is based on the assumption that Richt already has a preference between Rosier and Shirreffs. Maybe he doesn't. But if he does, I'm far less concerned about the veteran backup's reps. Hence the proposal.

2) Perry isn't your standard "package" guy because he's not great at designed runs. His game is passing. Which leads to #3 :

3) If we are engineering reps for Perry in games, what's wrong with engineering reps for him in practice?

Maybe Perry isn't the future. But if he is, it would be ideal to break him in with BCC, Arkansas State, Toledo, Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse defenses.

See, this is where you continue to lose me. You act like GT and Syracuse are punk @ss teams. These are exactly the kind of games a Freshman QB can lose.

GT always play us tough, and you've got to put points on the board in that game, and Syracuse has a high powered offense. Our defense is good, but we are going to need to score in that game, perhaps in a big way.

You only engineer reps for him in games if he can do something more effectively than the other options. While it's easier to see and quantify for us fans, you don't have to be a designed runner or zone-read guy to be better at a particular aspect of playing QB. There are other aspects available.

Artificially controlling the QB battle - in practice or in games - is more dangerous than its potential value, I think.

This is what people have to consider. Even if we score 20 ppg, I'd rather run a retardedly dumbed-down offense with Perry and expedite his growth with actual game experience unless he's flat-out going to redshirt.

Advertisement
Richt is going to earn his paycheck making this decision.

However, as he said, a QB without experience - is a QB without experience.

Question is - does Perry redshirt - or get game experience at some point during this season.

And that's on Richt's shoulders. Who probably knows more than the erudite posters we find here.

If Perry is a transcendent guy like Watson and Rosier and Shirreffs are total bums we'll be able to tell right away just like Clemson did and like USC did with Darnold and Alabaga did last year with Hurts. None of those guys were starters at the beginning of the season, but they all flashed when they got their shot.

Those top guys snatch whatever chance they get early in the season and run with it. You'll also be able to tell quickly if the other 2 guys are garbage. So this discussion will play itself out on the field.

Perry will get reps early. He'll need to flash and show he's a gamer like the other guys I just mentioned.

Advertisement
Has Perry figured out playing under center yet?

Funmy how a lot of people that swore Perry would be the day 1 starter are back pedaling now. I think Perry is the truth, but being the most physically gifted QB on the roster doesn't make you the best option right now.

Once again for the record. I'm not backpedaling.

I fully expect Perry to be the starter. Like Brooklyndee, this is based on info I got from separate conversations with people who have more insider access than either D$ or Lil Petey.

Now for the record I have been wrong before. And I'd rather the best/most effective player start.

I think he starts too but yes we may be wrong but we sticking to our guns fuq it

I just want the best man for the job. If Perry gets it and "fails", yall gon turn on him just like yall did with Kaaya....

This. If Perry is actually in the Top 2 then great.

Dmoney is literally calling for Perry to be handed a top-2 spot, something that goes completely against the way Richt runs his program.

Don't hand Perry anything. Make him earn it. If he's as good as Dmoney is saying, that shouldn't be an issue

Lots of assumptions going on here. These are controlled scimages where many serries are completely situational. Unfortunatley stats dont mean as much here as they do in normal game setting. We have no idea if we are comparing apples to apples here. There is also a major question surrounding progress. If Perry has made enough progress in the short time he has been here then Richt is responsible for giving him more reps to see where that progress goes. Perry has not ever even seen film of himself competing against a college level defense. All this talk about who should and should not get first team reps in nonsense. These coaches have seen everything and they are the best judges in how to move forward. If Perry gets more reps it aint because Richt wants him to start, its because he has shown potential that needs further analsyis. If Evans does then its the same. The truth is there are two spots up here for grabs. QB1 and QB2 both of which are super important when there is not a clear starting QB. The fact that Rosier has not been named the starter should say everything. Richt does not feel he is good enough to consistently execute the game plan.

You started your post talking about assumptions and then made one huge one at the end. Why hasn't he named Shirreffs the starter then?

People keep leaning on "it was situational" as if all the QBs weren't being put in the same situations. Did Perry have to drive the ball from his own 1 while the other guys got to play from the 40? They all were put in situations and some guys performed better.

Agreed fincane....you can't tell these people anything, because they are drunk on wanting Perry to start regardless of what they see. I just hope Richt isn't the same way.

I am not drunk on a freshman starting, but I do know our upper classmen has not been named the starter. I want whomever gives us the best chance to win. I worry more about Perry than I do anyone else. So FAIL there brother.

And not sure if you know this or not... You havent seen anything, nothing, nada, zilch, not sure how that hasnt sunk in. Only the coaches have. The point was its a process and all you know at this point is Rosier has not been named the starter when he is the upperclassman and the only one with game reps and now the one who had the best stats during his reps in the scrimage. Just curious why you think your analysis of the scrimage 1 stats means more than that? Like slow playing your upperclassman has more value than giving him the vote of confidence and getting him all the reps with the rest of the starters.

If Perry is a transcendent guy like Watson and Rosier and Shirreffs are total bums we'll be able to tell right away just like Clemson did and like USC did with Darnold and Alabaga did last year with Hurts. None of those guys were starters at the beginning of the season, but they all flashed when they got their shot.

Those top guys snatch whatever chance they get early in the season and run with it. You'll also be able to tell quickly if the other 2 guys are garbage. So this discussion will play itself out on the field.

Perry will get reps early. He'll need to flash and show he's a gamer like the other guys I just mentioned.

That's exactly right. We're all just chasing our collective tails at this point, but if Perry is truly on a different level we should be able to see it pretty quickly in games. I still think the starter for BCC will be Rosier or Shirreffs, with Perry off the bench. Unless he's just handing off to Homer 15 times to kill the clock, we should see what we need to see then. And if we don't, then Richt should have the sense to stick with his starter.

Advertisement
Do you guys in the "Perry should start as a True Freshman" camp want to win big this year or not? Are you more concerned about 2018 or 2017?

I'm sorry, but I want to win now, and this team is built to do it right now, in 2017. I have waited for over a decade to have a team like this --a team that is good enough to "get there", and we cannot waist this team--cannot waste a championship caliber defense--on a true freshman, especially when history shows true freshman QB's struggle big time.

Like others have said, Alabama rode Sims to a title, even though there were other more "talented" QB's on their roster. The goal is to win big NOW, but that's won't happen with Perry.

Who knows---Coach Kool or Manny might not even be here next year. We need to go for it all right now and push all of our chips in the middle of the table THIS YEAR, while we have the players to do it, and chemistry and continuity within the coaching staff. Get Rosier or Evan under center and let's go take what's ours (#6).

*SMASHES BEER BOTTLE*

**** YEAH, I'M PUMPED!

This is what people have to consider. Even if we score 20 ppg, I'd rather run a retardedly dumbed-down offense with Perry and expedite his growth with actual game experience unless he's flat-out going to redshirt.

Are you willing to lose some games so he can have that chance? If somebody else gives us the best shot at winning this year are you ok with sitting that guy so Perry can maybe get better?

I say take our best shot at winning right now and let the future sort itself out.

Has Perry figured out playing under center yet?

Funmy how a lot of people that swore Perry would be the day 1 starter are back pedaling now. I think Perry is the truth, but being the most physically gifted QB on the roster doesn't make you the best option right now.

Once again for the record. I'm not backpedaling.

I fully expect Perry to be the starter. Like Brooklyndee, this is based on info I got from separate conversations with people who have more insider access than either D$ or Lil Petey.

Now for the record I have been wrong before. And I'd rather the best/most effective player start.

I think he starts too but yes we may be wrong but we sticking to our guns fuq it

Little Richt when asked about it today made it sound like it was still an issue. He said Perry is a little loose with carrying the football as well

Last edited:
Advertisement
Any 3 of these QBs should be able to beat 8 out of 12 teams we play.

The QB that is selected should be who Richt feels can beat FSU, ND, VT, and UNC. If Perry isn't ready, he's not ready

Are you willing to lose some games so he can have that chance? If somebody else gives us the best shot at winning this year are you ok with sitting that guy so Perry can maybe get better?

I say take our best shot at winning right now and let the future sort itself out.

It seems like some of these guys are under the illusion that UM can just roll our helmets on the field and beat teams like Duke and GT. ****, you fck around enough with turnovers, and you can lose to a high-octane Toledo offense.

These "gimmes" to start the season aren't as sure-fire as guys are making them sound if your QB winds up being a limited disaster who can only run a handful of plays.

It seems like some of these guys are under the illusion that UM can just roll our helmets on the field and beat teams like Duke and GT. ****, you fck around enough with turnovers, and you can lose to a high-octane Toledo offense.

These "gimmes" to start the season aren't as sure-fire as guys are making them sound if your QB winds up being a limited disaster who can only run a handful of plays.

Exactly!

If Walton and the defense are as good as everyone seems to think then we should be able to squeak by teams like Toledo, Ark St, Duke with limited QB play.

I'd rather beat Toledo 20-16 while Perry plays for 4 quarters than waste any time with two Golden Specials.

Advertisement
Back