Some quick notes

Saban is an ******* as well, the difference, he gets results.

Saban isn't over the top with it.

As someone who's followed Saban for awhile, this is true. He's definitely stern, but uses more psychological warfare than anything else. He's a great teacher.

Last year I watched a mini-doc on Saban in camp (ESPN I think) comparing the recruitment romance vs practice with the same all stars. No rants, he was more like a sophisticated terrorist, using a calmer disposition, but biting, downgrading words and terms to let the player know they aren't above getting chewed out, "your sorry ***" (after committing the same assignment error twice, etc) or a "deadbeat like you" kind of reference to the guys, etc.

I don't care for Saban after watching countless Dolphins pressers. Ugh. Glad he's gone. BUT, he quickly lets the players know who's boss and that there are no primadonnas on the team right off the bat. Effective, like him or not.

The raging ******* approach is a giant fail, short or long term and if there's no love to balance it, that's all the players experience from a coach - the players are lost.

Advertisement

As someone who's followed Saban for awhile, this is true. He's definitely stern, but uses more psychological warfare than anything else. He's a great teacher.

Last year I watched a mini-doc on Saban in camp (ESPN I think) comparing the recruitment romance vs practice with the same all stars. No rants, he was more like a sophisticated terrorist, using a calmer disposition, but biting, downgrading words and terms to let the player know they aren't above getting chewed out, "your sorry ***" (after committing the same assignment error twice, etc) or a "deadbeat like you" kind of reference to the guys, etc.

I don't care for Saban after watching countless Dolphins pressers. Ugh. Glad he's gone. BUT, he quickly lets the players know who's boss and that there are no primadonnas on the team right off the bat. Effective, like him or not.

The raging ******* approach is a giant fail, short or long term and if there's no love to balance it, that's all the players experience from a coach - the players are lost.

I haev no problem with the 'tough guy' approach but you have to have some credibility before you go that route. Saban is a world class college coach. The players he recruits know what they signed up for and willingly go through it because they know its coming from a guy who knows what hes doing.

As much as the players have something to prove to D'Onofrio, he also has to prove to players that he's a knowlegdeable coach, and not just a guy who has a job because he's GOlden best friend. I wasnt overly impressed with the Defenses he ran at Temple but I chalked it up to not being able to recruit uber-talented players.

Now, Coach D has those type of players in his backyard. But these players aren't the 'happy to have a scholarship/do whatever you say' type.... There are certain thing I see most teams do on saturdays (route recognition, moving zones) that the CANES dont do. THis comes down to coaching.. I'm not impressed with the current staff

So a 5 star player is not playing like a 5 star player and the coach dogs him about it and rather than balling out, he talks back...and the problem here is the coach?

Interesting dynamic that we have soft entitled fans, but don't like soft entitled players.

So a 5 star player is not playing like a 5 star player and the coach dogs him about it and rather than balling out, he talks back...and the problem here is the coach?

Interesting dynamic that we have soft entitled fans, but don't like soft entitled players.

I see what your saying but comments like this are in such grey area because noone really knows what the deal is.

Advertisement

I see what your saying but comments like this are in such grey area because noone really knows what the deal is.

That is very fair. Would be nice to have the whole story. There are some that will side with the player simply because they are not patient enough to let the defensive plan unfold. Is it more important that the defense learns and grows or that Tracy, Eddie and Luther are All Americans? I will take OK now, and great in 2 years, rather than OK now and OK in two years because they still free style too much.

I haev no problem with the 'tough guy' approach but you have to have some credibility before you go that route. Saban is a world class college coach. The players he recruits know what they signed up for and willingly go through it because they know its coming from a guy who knows what hes doing.

As much as the players have something to prove to D'Onofrio, he also has to prove to players that he's a knowlegdeable coach, and not just a guy who has a job because he's GOlden best friend. I wasnt overly impressed with the Defenses he ran at Temple but I chalked it up to not being able to recruit uber-talented players.

Now, Coach D has those type of players in his backyard. But these players aren't the 'happy to have a scholarship/do whatever you say' type.... There are certain thing I see most teams do on saturdays (route recognition, moving zones) that the CANES dont do. THis comes down to coaching.. I'm not impressed with the current staff

Does the same apply to the classroom or workplace? The boss and/or teacher needs to prove themselves to the new employees/students before the employee/student will work/learn?

I'm certainly a fan of earning respect, but there is a hierarchy that exists and you usually have to work in it and navigate through it.

I said it long before either Howard or Crawford were at Miami. Crawford would pass Howard up, he is a better player. Never cared for Howard, i think he was way
the **** over rated. Saw both of them play.

- D'Onofrio/Howard story is true.

- Somebody inside the team used a comparison for Howard (as a player) that I used around NSD-- he's a Brandon Harris-type. I think that's a big complement, but some may feel otherwise. The word I got is that the most talented corner on the team is Antonio Crawford. Nate Dortch needs size, Hope is behind those three.

- Heard good things about the young defensive linemen like Hamilton, Briscoe and O'Donnell, which was reassuring. They aren't ready yet but look to have talent. Moore is grading out well.

- The guy we miss the most right now is Allen Hurns. He is Morris's best friend and favorite receiver. Team sources think he'll be back this week but I get the sense no one really knows.

Not saying you didn't make those predictions... but give me a break on the Howard over-rated BS.
Forget stars and website rankings... dude was recruited by EVERY f'in school in ACC/SEC/Ohio

If they knew he ran 4.6s for 40, both his rank and star# would drop.

Last edited:
Every coach's motivational technique is different. Some guys even make it an art form. Is Coach D's working, is the question.

Advertisement

That is very fair. Would be nice to have the whole story. There are some that will side with the player simply because they are not patient enough to let the defensive plan unfold. Is it more important that the defense learns and grows or that Tracy, Eddie and Luther are All Americans? I will take OK now, and great in 2 years, rather than OK now and OK in two years because they still free style too much.

I also think that more people are siding with the player now because of who our past coaches have been. We're just so accustomed to having **** poor coaches on staff...

I also think that more people are siding with the player now because of who our past coaches have been. We're just so accustomed to having **** poor coaches on staff...

True. It is frustrating as **** to perform so poorly for so long. Last year we got a glimpse of being on the right track, and now with all that experience (like them or not) leaving, we are further behind than we anticipated given so many close games last year.

Could you imagine if there was a message board thirty years ago and someone got wind that a player was openly questioning ANY coach in practice? Would the reaction have been "this coach has to prove himself to the players?"? No, it would have been outrage. Some coaches are a-holes, so you band together as players and PERFORM, not subvert. Winning is a good way to get a coach to lighten up.

And for the record, I am speaking in generalities. I don't know anything about this situation but would bet my bottom dollar it is overblown.

Advertisement
I can tell you for certain that Bush has not at any time considered leaving. He loves it here. Whomever claims otherwise is flat out lying. Tracy is going through normal growing pains, but nothing to worry about. He was told for four years in high school he was all-world, and it's tough when your coach brings you down to earth. Winning cures everything. These coaches need to purge this program of entitlement and coddling. In the process we're going to see incidents like this surface - it's all part of the process. And in the end, it is an approach that will reap benefits. Coughlin and Billy B have a bunch of rings, and they are complete no-nonsense dictators. Jimmy, Gruden, Saban and many others challenge(d) their players the same way. ****, even Mickey Andrews took the same approach with his players while producing some of the most dominant defenses in college football for two decades. I can't believe people think this is a big deal.

it's the internet brah

This is not an office environment. It's not a restaurant. It's football. A coach yells at a player and we all flip our lids? Whoever said overblown was right on the money. Non-story.

Advertisement
- D'Onofrio/Howard story is true.

- Somebody inside the team used a comparison for Howard (as a player) that I used around NSD-- he's a Brandon Harris-type. I think that's a big complement, but some may feel otherwise. The word I got is that the most talented corner on the team is Antonio Crawford. Nate Dortch needs size, Hope is behind those three.

- Heard good things about the young defensive linemen like Hamilton, Briscoe and O'Donnell, which was reassuring. They aren't ready yet but look to have talent. Moore is grading out well.

- The guy we miss the most right now is Allen Hurns. He is Morris's best friend and favorite receiver. Team sources think he'll be back this week but I get the sense no one really knows.

Everyone's talking about Howard but these were the most intgeresting and hopeful points of the Op's post.

In one of the earliest Raising Canes video, Howard was shown buddying around with Vernon Davis. Did we ever hear anything from Davis on exactly why he left? I know the assumption was just that he was behind the others, but maybe he couldn't handle any verbal heat either.

Advertisement
Back