Size

Jaquan, Redwine, Deon Bush, Rayshawn Jenkins - all are very good players, and I'm happy we got them. They just shouldn't be our "best" players.

Individually, none of them are the problem. Collectively - not having a Safety drafted higher than Round 4 in the last 12 years - that's the problem.
One problem was that the only one of them that was a 5* was Bush...JJ and RJ were 4* and SR was a last minute 3* addition. If Bush was in this Manny Diaz scheme he would have been a 1st round pick.

We have 5* talent in the safety room now. (JW, AW, KK, BB) Let’s see what happens.

Advertisement
Having top tier coaching is going to help us immensely. I think you will see the difference. Guys like Ford, Nesta and Miller will look like monsters. Jess is a great DL coach.

Tbh we didn’t need to see the breakdown , just watch out the corner of your eye every play , you’d see scaife or Clark flying out of the screen one second after the snap.
It could be worse.
1615425144384.gif

Don't be mad at me, you were proud of that selfie when you took it. You're like D Rev Lee, posting his one Pop Warner highlight film.

cool, thanks 4 the analysis

anymore *** bar recommendations in Cheyenne, Wyoming you want to drop on this forum while you're at it?

Advertisement
This needs to be reiterated x1000. I've posted in the past about Al Golden's size requirements for the position and how I thought it was important. Was AG a good head coach? No... but he actually had some pretty good evaluations. We will not be an elite program until we can say no to guys in SFL who are good athletes but statistically do not have a high probability of being NFL prospects.

This is why Nick Saban is successful at "developing players." S&C/development comes easy when you have guys who were born with the physical tools.

Thank You! We keep recruiting these undersized interior linemen on both sides and think they can be built up. Get big, heavy guys and turn fat to muscle and power. Say what you want but Gaynor gets blown up too often, especially on short yardage and 3rd down passing situations. I can agree with Scaife at center, but Seymore is my choice. Donaldson/Rivers guards. Nelson LT. RT should be a dog fight between Williams, Campbell and Issiah Walker or Campbell at RG and Rivers also fighting for RT spot.

DT: 1: Jordan Miller/Hunte 2: Nesta/Ford/Roberts or Leonard Taylor. I would also put 20lbs on Ford and ask him to stymie the guard and fill the A/B gaps because dude is too slow and is the worse stunt guy on the DL.

THANK YOU

No it's isn't. It's DL and OL and LBs and corners and WRs that never sniffed the league or all conference status. You're picking the legit talent we did have as examples of the problem and it's asinine.

The problem wasn't that we had 4th rounders instead of 1st rounders. It's that we had some 4th round types and a bunch of stiffs.
I'm only using Safeties as an example - I'm not at all saying they're specifically the problem.

If I wanted to single out one position group that's been our biggest problem I would've chosen QB.

I could've used any position group outside of TE and maybe RB's as an example. We 've had a TON of talent, but it's our roster as a whole that needs more top level talent to move the needle.

I'll put it this way

- In the last 4 drafts - Miami's had 23 players drafted. Clemson's had 22. That doesn't mean Miami has had equal NFL talent.
- In the last 4 drafts - Miami's had 1 player drafted in Rounds 1-2. Clemson's had 9. That's what moves the needle, and why they kick our ***.

Last edited:
This isn't unique to us, though.
Every program in the country wants bigger guys. But they also want fast/athletic guys.

You know who's big AND fast? Higher ranked players!

We're not big and fast because we're not signing the big/fast guys, not because we don't want to be bigger.

Your team isn't gonna be big AND fast if you're relying on lower ranked recruits.
Lower ranked recruits are big but not fast...or fast but not big.
Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc...have big/fast guys because they SIGN big/fast guys. (not because that's their preference. that's everybody's preference)

We'll get bigger and faster across the board as we continue to sign better classes.

Advertisement
This is the blessing of having Clemson in the ACC. Diaz can view Clemson up close and personal and how they do it and be able to assess what we need to do to get there.
If Manure is at Miami and needs to study Clemson for ideas on how to build a great team we’re in huge trouble.

Every program in the country wants bigger guys. But they also want fast/athletic guys.

We're not big and fast because we're not signing the big/fast guys, not because we don't want to be bigger.

Your team isn't gonna be big AND fast if you're relying on lower ranked recruits.
Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc...have big/fast guys because they SIGN big/fast guys. (not because that's their preference. that's everybody's preference)

We'll get bigger and faster across the board as we continue to sign better classes.
It’s so simple when you put it like that. Spot on.

Gospel. I love D$, but who the fck doesn’t want big fast football players? Everyone knows big and fast beats small and fast all the time. It beats big and slow too.

The problem is wrestling those big and fast guys away from the programs that have been monopolizing college football for the past 10+ years.

Advertisement
Gospel. I love D$, but who the fck doesn’t want big fast football players? Everyone knows big and fast beats small and fast all the time. It beats big and slow too.

The problem is wrestling those big and fast guys away from the programs that have been monopolizing college football for the past 10+ years.
Agreed. But the important decisions aren’t what we want, they’re the actual choices we make. How do we trade off big vs fast vs skilled vs inner dawg. Everyone wants the easy choices but careers are made on the hard ones.

Advertisement
It all depends on what your definition of "good" is.

If the goal is to get from a consistent 6-9 win type team to a consistent 7-10 win type team - then a couple more Jaquan/Redwine type talents can get us there.

A secondary loaded with Jaquan/Redwine type talents still gets torched when trying to cover Jeudy/Smith/Waddle/Ruggs - but maybe we lose by 20 instead of 40.

Think of it this way - a 4th, 5th, 6th Round pick is well short of the value of 1 1st Round pick.
Disagree. Jaquan was a second team AA and Redwine a very good player. I’m not saying they’re ST and Antrel, but talents like those guys are in fact what will help us be competitive with Alabama.

Jaquan, Redwine, Deon Bush, Rayshawn Jenkins - all are very good players, and I'm happy we got them. They just shouldn't be our "best" players.

Individually, none of them are the problem. Collectively - not having a Safety drafted higher than Round 4 in the last 12 years - that's the problem.
The thing is, those guys are really good. We can beat alabama with guys like that. We cannot heat Alabama with the OL, WRs, QBs and LBs we’ve had the past decade.

One problem was that the only one of them that was a 5* was Bush...JJ and RJ were 4* and SR was a last minute 3* addition. If Bush was in this Manny Diaz scheme he would have been a 1st round pick.

We have 5* talent in the safety room now. (JW, AW, KK, BB) Let’s see what happens.

Um, Bush was a true 4 star, & Jenkins was a true 3 star. Williams is a true 5 star, Bolden was a true 4 star, Williams was a true 4 star, and Kamren is barely a 4 star.

The fact is, as fans, we gas up the new guys all the time w/o seeing them on the field, and then become sorely disappointed if they don’t meet the prerequisites.

JJ, SR, Bush, & RJ were **** good here. Hence, although Bolden, Hall, & Carter were ranked higher than the combo of JJ & SR, our S play dipped dramatically. Furthermore, our problem has not been talent at the S position, per 247; our problem has been LB recruiting since 2016, WR recruiting since 2016 (sans Richards), DT recruiting since 2015, OL recruiting since 2014, QB recruiting (despite the star ratings) since 1999, CB recruiting since 2012...which is y we’ve been such a big player in the portal game.

Either we’re not recruiting appropriate to evaluation or scheme fit, developing from an IQ/football nutritional standpoint, or coaching. Imo, it’s been a combination, but every year we say the same chit, that the room is “loaded w/ talent.” When has the room not been loaded w/ talent?

Last edited:
Agreed. But the important decisions aren’t what we want, they’re the actual choices we make. How do we trade off big vs fast vs skilled vs inner dawg. Everyone wants the easy choices but careers are made on the hard ones.

This is a great point.

Evaluations are vital because they give us a bridge from where we are to where we want to be. Captain Obvious doesn’t need to tell us we need bigger, faster guys. Everyone wants those. We need results that can make more of those elite players take us seriously.

Over size, speed or anything, what we need is PRODUCTION. Getting tunnel vision on traits has cost us missing productive football players and more unnecessary losses on the scoreboard.

Manny is emphasizing recruiting from his position coaches. Hopefully he is as forward thinking on NIL as he was with the portal and give us more leverage against bags. But getting guys that FIT competent gameplans is our quickest path to improvement.

Advertisement
Back