Size

At WR, I'm prioritizing playmaking ability. The top teams have multiple explosive WRs. You ideally want a mix with some big guys, but we've gotten into trouble when we turn down small playmakers for big plodders. Dugans passed on Tutu Atwell and Elijah Moore because we already had JT4, Harley and Pope.

Devaughn Mortimer is a guy we should keep a close eye on locally, even if we get Isaiah Bond. Those small South Florida WRs seem to always find their way to the NFL.
True, good point but I feel we lack that X receiver with a large catch radius who can grab the 50/50 balls and bail out the qb with the not so perfectly placed throws. Adding that dimension plus improved running game between the tackles would make this offense scary IMO.

Advertisement
Size in the trenches is obvious but I really need to see more size & length at receiver. Fewer Dee Wiggins & Mark Pope's and more kids put together like Mike Redding & Brashard Smith. Its also nice to see us getting kids like Thad & Brown at rb too.
Lol the heisman winner was built like a 7th grader. You need tough skill players more than emphasizing size

Advertisement
I was watching some old 2001 games, and one thing that stood out was our size. Miami was the bigger team in every game. Butch recruited big body types and built them up. There are several reasons why teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Oklahoma are always contenders, but the most obvious reason is their team size.

When TRob had his initial press conference, he said flat-out that Miami needs to keep its big guys home if they want to compete with the top teams. It's no coincidence he's the lead recruiter for Kenyatta Jackson despite being a DB coach. I sense that getting bigger and more physical is our top priority in the offseason.

We've already seen this in several ways. We took DeAndre Johnson, who is physically mature and good against the run. We brought in a giant and aggressive CB in Tyrique Stevenson. Finally, we signed Cody Brown to give us another big back along with Thad Franklin. That 4th and 1 stuff against UNC was unacceptable. There's a reason you don't see scatbacks on the field in the Playoffs.

Of course, it's a balance. Golden tried to make us a Big 10 team and flopped miserably. But the best modern teams combine explosive playmaking and defensive speed with sheer physicality. Here are a few moves that could improve our team size before Bama:

- Bring in a transfer OL. The fact that Justice offered his old OL from UNLV (320 pounds, 685 lb. squat) tells me thinks he's better than what we have inside.
- Give Navaughn Donaldson and Jalen Rivers every chance to win jobs. You can't hand them the jobs, but they instantly make us a bigger and more physical team if they are on the field.
- Give Scaife reps at center. Gaynor will be the favorite (Lashlee and Justice both talked him up) but you at least have more flexibility and get some bigger bodies reps at G.
- Bring in a transfer LB > 230 pounds. They need to run, too, but Bama and Ohio State had LBs in the 235-240 range on the field in the title game. We didn't have anybody crack 230 and struggled to replace 240-pound Shaq. I'm still mad we passed on Diego ***ot (6'3, 240), who is a star for Navy.
- Utilize more unbalanced lines. Now that we have better numbers and more prep time, I'd love to see us get as many of our people-movers on the field as much as possible. We did that a bunch in the Stoutland era.

The Alabama game will tell us a lot about how we stack up physically and how far we still have to go.
Agree with all this and have been pointing this out for a long time.

When we talk about roster talent, we talk about experience and maturity. Keeping big kids home obviously matters, but also keeping our kids in our program and even (yes) redshirting more. Alabama's size is who they recruit, but it's also having 3rd/4th/5th year guys across the roster. When we look at who we had in some past year, they may have gone on to the NFL, but were they build, developed and ready when they played for us? You've heard this from me over and over. It's the same or a similar point to what you're saying.

Now there were some years where we had Seantrel, Bunche, Flowers and others on OL and our guys looked the part and had all the size Alabama could want. We still have to get them to play hard and consistently and smart. But yeah, Alabama brutalizes teams right up the middle and it's really hard to play them as a result. You basically have to be able to spread it and penetrate their pass defense on O, and you need a deep, big, tough DL to handle their OL.

IMO - Alabama and other top teams get players that come in with size, talent, athleticism.

Miami gets players where something is sacrificed. Talent, sub-par size & athleticism (Jaquan Johnson). Size & Athleticism, sub-par talent (Sheldrick Redwine).

We need more guys that are the combo of all 3. I'm not saying we need to get them all, but we gotta start winning 1-2 more of these battles each year (consistently and every year) so these guys cumulatively start stacking up.
You're correct that we're taking many kids who are earlier in their development -- there aren't that many physically developed kids in HS who also have the talent we seek. We're not going to reliably out-recruit them for their targets outside of our back-yard. So we need to put a lot of effort into S&C and development, and get our roster to the point where we can play more 3rd/4th/5th year guys who have grown.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This thread title tho
1615405734577.png

Advertisement
Back