Size

The part that makes me hopeful is is the OL looked better last year despite the terrible G play, so it seems Justice can at least coach them up. We just need more talent at G.

Advertisement
Thank You! We keep recruiting these undersized interior linemen on both sides and think they can be built up. Get big, heavy guys and turn fat to muscle and power. Say what you want but Gaynor gets blown up too often, especially on short yardage and 3rd down passing situations. I can agree with Scaife at center, but Seymore is my choice. Donaldson/Rivers guards. Nelson LT. RT should be a dog fight between Williams, Campbell and Issiah Walker or Campbell at RG and Rivers also fighting for RT spot.

DT: 1: Jordan Miller/Hunte 2: Nesta/Ford/Roberts or Leonard Taylor. I would also put 20lbs on Ford and ask him to stymie the guard and fill the A/B gaps because dude is too slow and is the worse stunt guy on the DL.

3a7.jpg

You held the phone too close to your face when your boyfriend was ******* you in the kitchen.

Tbh we didn’t need to see the breakdown , just watch out the corner of your eye every play , you’d see scaife or Clark flying out of the screen one second after the snap.
One poster posted a perfect metaphor.

When the ball is snapped, it looks like an IED went off because our lineman our blown up and go flying backwards.

Gaynor, Clarke, and Schaife all were horrible. Ppl give Gaynor a pass bc he gets a lot of praise for his leadership, but dam I've seen him get blown up way too much for my liking.

Golden tried but the difference in size and talent was obvious in Al Goldens last game after the 1st qtr against Clemson.
And it was obvious to a man like Richt when after 5 minutes with the team he asked “where are all the big dudes”.
Big doesn’t mean a bunch of tall fat guys and Golden tried to put on too much weight on guys that had no business putting on 20 lbs of belly fat. Dudes like Zion and Rousseau could easily put in 40- 50 lbs and look lean and get stronger and faster.

Advertisement
I was watching some old 2001 games, and one thing that stood out was our size. Miami was the bigger team in every game. Butch recruited big body types and built them up. There are several reasons why teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Oklahoma are always contenders, but the most obvious reason is their team size.

When TRob had his initial press conference, he said flat-out that Miami needs to keep its big guys home if they want to compete with the top teams. It's no coincidence he's the lead recruiter for Kenyatta Jackson despite being a DB coach. I sense that getting bigger and more physical is our top priority in the offseason.

We've already seen this in several ways. We took DeAndre Johnson, who is physically mature and good against the run. We brought in a giant and aggressive CB in Tyrique Stevenson. Finally, we signed Cody Brown to give us another big back along with Thad Franklin. That 4th and 1 stuff against UNC was unacceptable. There's a reason you don't see scatbacks on the field in the Playoffs.

Of course, it's a balance. Golden tried to make us a Big 10 team and flopped miserably. But the best modern teams combine explosive playmaking and defensive speed with sheer physicality. Here are a few moves that could improve our team size before Bama:

- Bring in a transfer OL. The fact that Justice offered his old OL from UNLV (320 pounds, 685 lb. squat) tells me thinks he's better than what we have inside.
- Give Navaughn Donaldson and Jalen Rivers every chance to win jobs. You can't hand them the jobs, but they instantly make us a bigger and more physical team if they are on the field.
- Give Scaife reps at center. Gaynor will be the favorite (Lashlee and Justice both talked him up) but you at least have more flexibility and get some bigger bodies reps at G.
- Bring in a transfer LB > 230 pounds. They need to run, too, but Bama and Ohio State had LBs in the 235-240 range on the field in the title game. We didn't have anybody crack 230 and struggled to replace 240-pound Shaq. I'm still mad we passed on Diego ***ot (6'3, 240), who is a star for Navy.
- Utilize more unbalanced lines. Now that we have better numbers and more prep time, I'd love to see us get as many of our people-movers on the field as much as possible. We did that a bunch in the Stoutland era.

The Alabama game will tell us a lot about how we stack up physically and how far we still have to go.

It’s funny how Richt ask where were the big guys at when he first came & now TRob comes in & says we need to keep the big guys home. Spot on post, D.

When I saw us vs. Clemson, it looked like a varsity team v. a college team. Back in the day, we had grown men playing. Guys looked like they were NFL ready. We’ve been a mixed bag...some guys look NFL ready, but for the most part, we look small & it proves itself as we often get drug for extra yards or can’t get a consistent push on the L.O.S, even against inferior teams. Hence why I’ve ?’d our S&C program.

And just like Clemson was a litmus test, Bama will be as well....hopefully we can keep it respectable to a possible upset win.

Advertisement
Size in the trenches is obvious but I really need to see more size & length at receiver. Fewer Dee Wiggins & Mark Pope's and more kids put together like Mike Redding & Brashard Smith. Its also nice to see us getting kids like Thad & Brown at rb too.

At WR, I'm prioritizing playmaking ability. The top teams have multiple explosive WRs. You ideally want a mix with some big guys, but we've gotten into trouble when we turn down small playmakers for big plodders. Dugans passed on Tutu Atwell and Elijah Moore because we already had JT4, Harley and Pope.

Devaughn Mortimer is a guy we should keep a close eye on locally, even if we get Isaiah Bond. Those small South Florida WRs seem to always find their way to the NFL.

Let me rephrase: better than what we have.
If the Miami coaching staff thinks they're gonna take a subpackage rusher from the SEC who didn't play on early downs and expect him to be an every-down player who helps against the run...well this is why we give up 554 rushing to UNC.

There are no shortcuts to defending the run. You need guys who can own their gap, guys who create knockback, and a sound scheme with disciplined players who align correctly. If you think you're just gonna shoot upfield and create chaos you're gonna have teams like UNC running Counter over and over again with no one at the point of attack to stop it, or even teams like UAB running wide zone and finding creases despite no passing game.

Compare that to Clemson who has big base ends who don't rush well and slow JAG LBs but they dominate the ACC cause they're physical and sound and their corners can mostly hang on an island.

If the Miami coaching staff thinks they're gonna take a subpackage rusher from the SEC who didn't play on early downs and expect him to be an every-down player who helps against the run...well this is why we give up 554 rushing to UNC.

There are no shortcuts to defending the run. You need guys who can own their gap, guys who create knockback, and a sound scheme with disciplined players who align correctly. If you think you're just gonna shoot upfield and create chaos you're gonna have teams like UNC running Counter over and over again with no one at the point of attack to stop it, or even teams like UAB running wide zone and finding creases despite no passing game.

Compare that to Clemson who has big base ends who don't rush well and slow JAG LBs but they dominate the ACC cause they're physical and sound and their corners can mostly hang on an island.
This is a big reason why they hired Simpson. They felt there was room for improvement on the coaching side, separate from scheme and personnel. Diaz's teams statistically played good run defense until last season.

Advertisement

Good point and why they want to add another portal DE.

Advertisement
We need a team that's THICC in the right places.
RIGHT.. Getting bigger is definitely a must but it has to be in the right areas.. And I always say that when I watch old Miami games "Miami had bigger and faster teams compared to now"
We also can't overlook the speed factor as well, Miami needs to add more speedsters to add with adding the size.. These are factors that make the elite programs cont to be contenders year in and year out...

IMO size shouldn’t be the be all end all for players. Just in this draft class there are guys that are considered small (Rashawn Slater, Ar’darius Washington, Devonta Smith, Tutu Atwell) and would be day 1 starters and ball out

This is the blessing of having Clemson in the ACC. Diaz can view Clemson up close and personal and how they do it and be able to assess what we need to do to get there.

IMO - Alabama and other top teams get players that come in with size, talent, athleticism.

Miami gets players where something is sacrificed. Talent, sub-par size & athleticism (Jaquan Johnson). Size & Athleticism, sub-par talent (Sheldrick Redwine).

We need more guys that are the combo of all 3. I'm not saying we need to get them all, but we gotta start winning 1-2 more of these battles each year (consistently and every year) so these guys cumulatively start stacking up.
You just cited two current NFL safeties as examples of recruiting deficiencies?

Advertisement
Back