Size

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I was watching some old 2001 games, and one thing that stood out was our size. Miami was the bigger team in every game. Butch recruited big body types and built them up. There are several reasons why teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and Oklahoma are always contenders, but the most obvious reason is their team size.

When TRob had his initial press conference, he said flat-out that Miami needs to keep its big guys home if they want to compete with the top teams. It's no coincidence he's the lead recruiter for Kenyatta Jackson despite being a DB coach. I sense that getting bigger and more physical is our top priority in the offseason.

We've already seen this in several ways. We took DeAndre Johnson, who is physically mature and good against the run. We brought in a giant and aggressive CB in Tyrique Stevenson. Finally, we signed Cody Brown to give us another big back along with Thad Franklin. That 4th and 1 stuff against UNC was unacceptable. There's a reason you don't see scatbacks on the field in the Playoffs.

Of course, it's a balance. Golden tried to make us a Big 10 team and flopped miserably. But the best modern teams combine explosive playmaking and defensive speed with sheer physicality. Here are a few moves that could improve our team size before Bama:

- Bring in a transfer OL. The fact that Justice offered his old OL from UNLV (320 pounds, 685 lb. squat) tells me he thinks he's better than what we have inside.
- Give Navaughn Donaldson and Jalen Rivers every chance to win jobs. You can't hand them the jobs, but they instantly make us a bigger and more physical team if they are on the field.
- Give Scaife reps at center. Gaynor will be the favorite (Lashlee and Justice both talked him up) but you at least have more flexibility and get some bigger bodies reps at G.
- Bring in a transfer LB > 230 pounds. They need to run, too, but Bama and Ohio State had LBs in the 235-240 range on the field in the title game. We didn't have anybody crack 230 and struggled to replace 240-pound Shaq. I'm still mad we passed on Diego ***ot (6'3, 240), who is a star for Navy.
- Utilize more unbalanced lines. Now that we have better numbers and more prep time, I'd love to see us get as many of our people-movers on the field as much as possible. We did that a bunch in the Stoutland era.

The Alabama game will tell us a lot about how we stack up physically and how far we still have to go.

Advertisement
What about also trying Donaldson at C? I know he has taken reps there a few springs back, he would def. give more power and strength in the middle.

Also, any chance we still take a guy like Goateate(sp) if we get more spots?

What about also trying Donaldson at C? I know he has taken reps there a few springs back, he would def. give more power and strength in the middle.
We could, but he's a natural guard and we need the most help there. Of the three positions, I thought our guards were the worst and I think the coaches agree.

And I thought Scaife was the worst so maybe a move to C would help him. Agree we need to be much better at G with as much as Lashlee loves to run the inside zone.

That's the problem, that's all He runs LOL.

Forget what thread it was, but I think @Coach Macho had some very interesting thoughts on our lack of a diversified run game/blocking scheme.

Advertisement
3a7.jpg

IMO - Alabama and other top teams get players that come in with size, talent, athleticism.

Miami gets players where something is sacrificed. Talent, sub-par size & athleticism (Jaquan Johnson). Size & Athleticism, sub-par talent (Sheldrick Redwine).

We need more guys that are the combo of all 3. I'm not saying we need to get them all, but we gotta start winning 1-2 more of these battles each year (consistently and every year) so these guys cumulatively start stacking up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We could, but he's a natural guard and we need the mosti help there. Of the three positions, I thought our guards were the worst and I think the coaches agree.
Clark at center or get him the **** out my face. Scaife at tackle or do the same. Guards were a straight up embarrassment. Rivers and Donaldson need to start if we aren’t bringing in transfers. I’ve seen enough of the other two.

Advertisement
Clark and Scaife were dreadful at times last season. With King coming off knee surgery, we need to be better at running the football between the tackles. Teams are going to blitz King coming off surgery. We can't have turnstiles at Guard. Plus the better the run game the more play-action shots we can take downfield because the safeties will be in the box to stop the run. A starting five of

Zion (LT), Donaldson (LG), Gaynor/Reed (C), Rivers/UNLV Guard (RG), Williams (RT).

Advertisement
then when golden made everyone get bigger or recruited bigger players everyone complained we were too slow. the guy with the size, speed and ability are all the top blue chip recruits and there are only so many of them to go around.
Golden's scheme was a major part of the problem. The same players that looked big and slow with D'Onofrio looked big and fast with Diaz.

As for offense, the 2013 team is a good example of what it should look like in terms of personnel.

Tbh we didn’t need to see the breakdown , just watch out the corner of your eye every play , you’d see scaife or Clark flying out of the screen one second after the snap.

Clark I am not ready to give up on just yet. He was still a true soph last year but I agree if his play continues like that he is beyond a liability and needs to get pulled.

Scaife, idk what the **** happened. I remember when he was far and away our best OL two years ago. Maybe the rest of the OL was just THAT bad where he stood out but I really dont recall another OL falling as far and hard as he has.

Advertisement
Back