Since D'nofrio isn't going anywhere...

Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Negged! Wish I could neg you 1,000,000 more times. Quit getting on our boards, Coach No'D.

Advertisement
I don't understand the obsession with exceptions. Invariably when someone makes a pronouncement, there's a scramble to find an exception. And if someone does locate something, it's as if the conversation is supposed to end and the point rebuked.

The focus should be on the rule. Nothing is absolute. Who cares about the outlier 2% or 5% or 10%?
Great post, especially what is quoted. Finding an exception or outlier to a general rule isn't strong proof for a particular argument. It's disturbing how many people on this board use arguments based strictly on outliers in fairly strong trends.

Miami (and all of college football) currently has a blueprint for a defense that works really well for most teams, especially with South Florida talent. Why our coaches are insistent on deviating from it completely, especially when their entire career worth of results isn't great, boggles my mind.

I don't understand the obsession with exceptions. Invariably when someone makes a pronouncement, there's a scramble to find an exception. And if someone does locate something, it's as if the conversation is supposed to end and the point rebuked.

The focus should be on the rule. Nothing is absolute. Who cares about the outlier 2% or 5% or 10%?
Great post, especially what is quoted. Finding an exception or outlier to a general rule isn't strong proof for a particular argument. It's disturbing how many people on this board use arguments based strictly on outliers in fairly strong trends.

Miami (and all of college football) currently has a blueprint for a defense that works really well for most teams, especially with South Florida talent. Why our coaches are insistent on deviating from it completely, especially when their entire career worth of results isn't great, boggles my mind.

I'm not even mad about trying a different approach. When coaches stand on their podiums and talk about being "versatile", its a good thing, especially in this day and age of college football when you face different offensive styles every week.

But we haven't seen versatility in any way. Yeah big ******* deal we line up differently. Congratulations coach. Being versatile is one thing, but you better at least be good at one style before you decide to try and get cute or outsmart yourself. You start HERE and if your players demonstrate adaptability then you move to HERE. Its not that hard.

I'm not even mad about trying a different approach. When coaches stand on their podiums and talk about being "versatile", its a good thing, especially in this day and age of college football when you face different offensive styles every week.

But we haven't seen versatility in any way. Yeah big ******* deal we line up differently. Congratulations coach. Being versatile is one thing, but you better at least be good at one style before you decide to try and get cute or outsmart yourself. You start HERE and if your players demonstrate adaptability then you move to HERE. Its not that hard.
That's a really good point. I remember besides "players not plays," we were supposed to be "multiple" but we have yet to see anything resembling a real versatile defense.

I think the starting point would be with what the South Florida kids know how to do well and then the coaches could move to their own concepts. At least we would have a good base/foundation for when **** isn't working, rather than running around every single play like chickens with our heads cut off.

Total Defenses of the BCS-era Champions
1998 Tennessee - 17th
1999 FSU - 19th
2000 OU - 8th
2001 Miami - 6th
2002 * - 23rd
2003 LSU - 1st
2004 USC - 6th
2005 Texas - 10th
2006 Florida - 6th
2007 LSU - 3rd
2008 Florida - 9th
2009 Alabama - 2nd
2010 Auburn - 60th
2011 Alabama - 1st
2012 Alabama - 5th
2013 - FSU - 3rd

Interesting stat. Defense wins MNC's!!!

Advertisement
Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Negged! Wish I could neg you 1,000,000 more times. Quit getting on our boards, Coach No'D.

LMAO! Ohh well, I've learned, sometimes haters are just gonna hate.

That's a really good point. I remember besides "players not plays," we were supposed to be "multiple" but we have yet to see anything resembling a real versatile defense.

I think the starting point would be with what the South Florida kids know how to do well and then the coaches could move to their own concepts. At least we would have a good base/foundation for when **** isn't working, rather than running around every single play like chickens with our heads cut off.

Exactly. Versatility shouldn't be limited to just our formations. It should be on our coaches to adapt and be "versatile" depending on our personnel and the strengths our players show. How versatile is it to have a coach 3 years later still talking about blown assignments, freelancing etc.? **** is ridiculous. You want to talk about versatility, then get your own head out of your *** first. Coaches lead, players follow. If the coach coaches like a chicken with its head cut off, what do we expect the players to look like?

We are going to see a few of these guys continue to do things in the NFL once they leave here for that reason. We have talent, but the NFL puts specific players in their best positions to excel. That's the name of the game.

As I keep saying bro, you can't fix stupid. Not only that, the Nancy's are purely agenda driven. There is no other explanation for the idiocy in this thread.

As I keep saying bro, you can't fix stupid. Not only that, the Nancy's are purely agenda driven. There is no other explanation for the idiocy in this thread.
Yeah, for the most part. You can't argue or spin some of these statistics and trends, yet they attempt to do so anyway.

Advertisement

Going into the 2014 season. Other than 52 and Chick, best players are young.

DE-Chiquillo - Sr
NT-Olsen Pierre - Sr
DE-Jelani Hamilton - Jr
OLB-Tyriq McCord - Jr
ILB-Alex Figueroa - So
ILB-Denzel Perryman - Sr
OLB-Al-Quadin Muhammad - So
CB-Tracy Howard - Jr
CB-Artie Burns - So
FS-Deon Bush - Jr
SS Rayshawn Jenkins - Jr

DE-Chiquillo - Sr
NT-Olsen Pierre - Sr
DE-Jelani Hamilton - Jr
OLB-Tyriq McCord - Jr
ILB-Alex Figueroa - So
ILB-Denzel Perryman - Sr
CB-Tracy Howard - Jr
CB-Artie Burns - So
FS-Deon Bush - Jr
SS Rayshawn Jenkins - Jr

Muhammad at LB??

DE-Chiquillo - Sr
NT-Olsen Pierre - Sr
DE-Jelani Hamilton - Jr
OLB-Tyriq McCord - Jr
ILB-Alex Figueroa - So
ILB-Denzel Perryman - Sr
CB-Tracy Howard - Jr
CB-Artie Burns - So
FS-Deon Bush - Jr
SS Rayshawn Jenkins - Jr

Muhammad at LB??

You can go with others, maybe Kirby. He didn't play much last year but add him to the rotation.

Advertisement

That sounds nice but it's not reality.
You won't find many teams that gain 500 + yards and don't score.
It kinda goes hand in hand.

That sounds nice but it's not reality.
You won't find many teams that gain 500 + yards and don't score.
It kinda goes hand in hand.

When I gave the stat about PA/G, the argument brought up by others against it ,giving up yards. You are right though, at the end of the season, if your PA/G is good, yards usually follow.

Its obviously not any 1 stat or any 1 thing. Its a combo of your O, D, special teams.

DE-Chiquillo - Sr
NT-Olsen Pierre - Sr
DE-Jelani Hamilton - Jr
OLB-Tyriq McCord - Jr
ILB-Alex Figueroa - So
ILB-Denzel Perryman - Sr
CB-Tracy Howard - Jr
CB-Artie Burns - So
FS-Deon Bush - Jr
SS Rayshawn Jenkins - Jr

Is this your excuse for when the defense finishes in the 80s this season?

Advertisement

DE-Chiquillo - Sr
NT-Olsen Pierre - Sr
DE-Jelani Hamilton - Jr
OLB-Tyriq McCord - Jr
ILB-Alex Figueroa - So
ILB-Denzel Perryman - Sr
CB-Tracy Howard - Jr
CB-Artie Burns - So
FS-Deon Bush - Jr
SS Rayshawn Jenkins - Jr

Is this your excuse for when the defense finishes in the 80s this season?

Absolutely. I called this on the WEZ a few weeks ago. Next year when things inevitably go wrong, people are going to start clamoring to the youth on the defense and then the timetable is moved another few years. How many times have we seen this with the same people over the past 10+ years with Coker and Shannon? The excuses never stop.

LSU finished 15th in total defense and 21st in scoring defense. They lost something like 10 starters to the draft before last season.

How were they able to field a competent defense without a bunch of juniors and seniors???

LSU finished 15th in total defense and 21st in scoring defense. They lost something like 10 starters to the draft before last season.

How were they able to field a competent defense without a bunch of juniors and seniors???

8/11 starters on LSU D were Seniors and Juniors. Kinda like ours next year. Lets see what happens... if (some say when) they fail **** can the whole crew.

Advertisement
Back