Since D'nofrio isn't going anywhere...

Advertisement
Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Yards are just yards? Did you not watch the last 8 years of Miami Hurricanes football? History shows that you are not going to win a game if your Defense can't get off the field.

Saban swears by scoring defense.

Never seen any quote that says this, but it's funny that his teams don't give up any yardage and have ranked as some of the best in Total D in the BCS era.

You're really going hard at this? They're pretty closely related. At this point you're splitting hairs (speaking generally). Post scoring defense. I'm sure Alabama will be up there.

2013 Auburn just made it to the ship giving up 3 less yards/G.
And what teams did 2013 Auburn play compared to us?

Who cares about schedule. FSU played the 59th best SOS, you cant make both arguments that FSU had a great def but their schedule sucked and same the same thing about Auburn the other way around

Um, you are implying that Auburn's defense was nearly as bad as ours, which simply isn't true, by virtue of the fact that they played harder teams. It is not illogical to assume that their defense would have been ranked a little better had they not had to play like 5 or 6 ranked teams.

Advertisement

Who cares about schedule. FSU played the 59th best SOS, you cant make both arguments that FSU had a great def but their schedule sucked and same the same thing about Auburn the other way around

Um, you are implying that Auburn's defense was nearly as bad as ours, which simply isn't true, by virtue of the fact that they played harder teams. It is not illogical to assume that their defense would have been ranked a little better had they not had to play like 5 or 6 ranked teams.

They were just as bad as us, yards, points. They had some lucky breaks and their O saved them most games. SOS is just an excuse. Schedules are made years in advance, all you can do is play them.

Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Yards are just yards? Did you not watch the last 8 years of Miami Hurricanes football? History shows that you are not going to win a game if your Defense can't get off the field.

Never seen any quote that says this, but it's funny that his teams don't give up any yardage and have ranked as some of the best in Total D in the BCS era.

You're really going hard at this? They're pretty closely related. At this point you're splitting hairs (speaking generally). Post scoring defense. I'm sure Alabama will be up there.

Exactly. I think we can agree on that point. They are indeed very closely related which is why people who say things like "only scoring D matters" are pretty close to being absolutely wrong.

They were just as bad as us, yards, points. They had some lucky breaks and their O saved them most games. SOS is just an excuse. Schedules are made years in advance, all you can do is play them.
You still don't get it, so rather than going into my WEZ-mode today, I'll just agree to disagree with you.

What is that suppose to mean?

Advertisement

Exactly. I think we can agree on that point. They are indeed very closely related which is why people who say things like "only scoring D matters" are pretty close to being absolutely wrong.

You beat me to the punch, but this is correct.

I'm now convinced that the 2 greaseballs are great and that we'll have a very good defense in 2014. They had a plan to field the worst defenses in UM's history for 2 years running, and because UVA had a decent defense in 2004 we will have a good defense in 2014. I am with you guys on this because it makes perfect sense.

I can also see the obvious parallel to D'Atonio and Narduzzi at MSU because those 2 are greaseballs too. And they had historically bad defenses at MSU, then in year 4 they turned it completely around.

Nick Saban, who is an incredibly credible authority, is a proponent of the opinion that scoring defense is a superior stat to total defense.

Advertisement

Nick Saban, who is an incredibly credible authority, is a proponent of the opinion that scoring defense is a superior stat to total defense.
Still haven't found that quote or assertion anywhere.

I can also see the obvious parallel to D'Atonio and Narduzzi at MSU because those 2 are greaseballs too. And they had historically bad defenses at MSU, then in year 4 they turned it completely around.

Don't forget year 6 and 7.

Oh. I won't. I think it's a great parallel. MSU's defense was horrific under those guys prior to this great season right? Wasn't it? It was just like ours at the bottom of the ncaa rankings right?

Still haven't found that quote or assertion anywhere.

It's like going to never land. You need to believe that it's there. Lol.

Did you watch the 2003 NC game? He said it then. I also saw him at a coaches clinic.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Don't forget year 6 and 7.

Oh. I won't. I think it's a great parallel. MSU's defense was horrific under those guys prior to this great season right? Wasn't it? It was just like ours at the bottom of the ncaa rankings right?

It was pretty much EXACTLY like ours the first 3 seasons, so yeah there's that. Don't be upset tho, i was saying there is hope. If you have none, cool.

Everyone in the world agrees that scoring D is more important than Total D. But next time you and Saban chat ask him if he thinks you're likely to have a great scoring D if you're giving up a ton of yards every week. THAT is the issue that UM fans with brains have. If we were 20th in Total D and 7th in scoring D we'd be very happy. But you'll never have a great scoring D when you're giving up a ton of yards like we do.

Now you are just repeating yourself. What is your point? Is this information even accurate?

Now you are just repeating yourself. What is your point? Is this information even accurate?

.... And being an extremely credible authority we can trust his analysis. There's not much else I can say to help you understand.

Advertisement
Back