Since D'nofrio isn't going anywhere...

The fact that you hope for our Defense to perform like the 2004 Virginia Defense, which was really not that impressive, is sad.

You must not have followed. The point of my post was to point out relevant history. That's the best defense Al Golden and company have fielded. I would love for our defense to perform like our 1986 defense but that's kind of far fetched at this point. We're stuck with these coaches and scheme -- 2004 UVA is the best example of our coaches and scheme.

Reading comprehension -- learn it.

I understood your point just fine. I still find it sad that you would settle your hopes and dreams for a Defense that barely reached the top 20 with that schedule.

Advertisement
The 2004 UVA team went 8-4 and played this schedule-- not a lot of cause for optimism. And "hope" is not a plan.

September 4 12:00 PM at Temple* #19 Lincoln Financial Field • Philadelphia, PA ESPN2 W 44–14 20,154
September 11 3:30 PM North Carolina #20 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA (South's Oldest Rivalry) ABC W 56–24 62,790
September 18 3:00 PM Akron* #16 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA W 51–0 57,868
September 25 3:30 PM Syracuse* #12 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA W 31–10 59,699
October 7 7:30 PM Clemson #9 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA ESPN W 30–10 61,833
October 16 8:00 PM at #7 Florida State #6 Doak Campbell Stadium • Tallahassee, FL (Jefferson-Eppes Trophy) ESPN L 3–36 84,155
October 23 1:00 PM at Duke #15 Wallace Wade Stadium • Durham, NC W 37–16 24,157
November 6 3:30 PM Maryland #13 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA (Rivalry) ABC W 16–0 63,072
November 13 3:30 PM #17 Miami #11 Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA ABC L 21–31 63,701
November 20 1:00 PM at Georgia Tech #18 Bobby Dodd Stadium • Atlanta, GA ABC W 30–10 43,971
November 27 1:00 PM at #11 Virginia Tech #16 Lane Stadium • Blacksburg, VA (Commonwealth Cup) ABC L 10–24 65,115
December 27 2:00 PM vs. Fresno State* #18 Bronco Stadium • Boise, ID (MPC Computers Bowl) ESPN L 34-37 OT 28,516
*Non-conference game. Homecoming. #Rankings from Coaches'

Negative bull$hit. A top 20 defense in despite an 8-4 record, losing to better teams, is still positive. They're still UVA at the end of the day. Nothing is changing in the staff. You can choose to be miserable this year or you can choose to have hope.

Since when did you get the mantle of "arbiter" for what passes for acceptable thought on this board???

So long as I opine & back it up with facts, and don't demean anyone here in the process, I'm entitled to my opinion-- which isn't based on false optimism, or "hope" like you.

The fact you're hoping we can achieve UVA type status, and THAT'S your expectation, says a lot. That schedule is not representative of our typical schedule-- looks a lot like this years, which we couldn't handle you might note. The biggest negative surrounding this program isn't discontented message board posters BTW.

Never claimed to have any title, but thank you for the compliment. We are fans. Your voice on this board has zero effect on the program. All we can do is sit and watch. We can all agree that the negativity here is unhealthy. My original comment stated my humble hope to bring a least a little bit of positivity to the board. The tone of your response was condescending and negative, and off topic.

My original post also spoke strictly about the defense. We won 9 games this year with a much, much worse defense. Your argument is void instantly with that single fact. I also didn't state an opinion, like you claim. I just wanted to point out a previously successful defense under Al Golden that we could use as a point of reference. Chill out and watch the story unfold.

Smile. :D

Talk about condescending???

Contrary to your logic, my reply was completely on topic, in no way condescending-- it simply didn't conform to your rose colored glasses point of view. It just happened to be counter to what your "hopeful" view was, so you attacked it. I think youre the one that could stand to chill a bit.

Nothing I wrote is "void" particularly b/c we won "9" games this year. Our schedule gets harder, and there's nothing concrete you can point to that means we'll be much better next year. Hence your humble hope.

Ok, I'm done responding to you. You're still not seeing it. I never gave an opinion. I'm sorry you feel patronized, but that's just a fabrication of you mind.

Posted this on another thread, but applicable here as well.

We ALL like MSU D right. Just for comparison:

As you look into the path they took to get to a top defense and a top team, I see a lot of similarities with Golden/D'No. Dantonio/Narduzzi were together at Cincy (CUSA) for 3 years, record was 18-17. In those 3 years, avg PA/G: 25.9. Went to MSU together, first 3 years, avg PA/G 25.0, record was 22-17 (2 extra losses - bowls). Sound familiar?

MSU PA/G: 2010 (Year 4 at MSU) : 22.3 2011 : 18.4 2012 : 16.3 2013 : 13.2

This is what I hope for (but a little faster than 7 years in) Si o no?

Yessir -- lets hope for a quicker ride to the top. I'm assuming it'll be faster with this influx of talent coming in.

The question is do you expect Golden/MDO to adjust to the talent and put together a competent game plan? Do you think the scheme can provide consistent success. I know those numbers at Cincy look bad. but i'd like to see how many 500 yards passers they allowed during that span. Since day 1 we'll allowed mediocre QBs to look like Heisman candidates. The talent on this team is better than that. Tracy Howard has shown he's one of the best lock down CB in the nation. There is no way teams should be passing for 500 yards when tracy can lock down his side of the field. the scheme does not allow for that.

Strength of schedule is not that big of a deal, as long as you play in a major conference. FSU just won the ship with the 59th best SOS.

The fact that you hope for our Defense to perform like the 2004 Virginia Defense, which was really not that impressive, is sad.

You must not have followed. The point of my post was to point out relevant history. That's the best defense Al Golden and company have fielded. I would love for our defense to perform like our 1986 defense but that's kind of far fetched at this point. We're stuck with these coaches and scheme -- 2004 UVA is the best example of our coaches and scheme.

I understood your point just fine. I still find it sad that you would settle your hopes and dreams for a Defense that barely reached the top 20 with that schedule.

It's not my hopes and dreams! Did I say or imply that? No. I'm just bringing a historical reference to light.

Advertisement
Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Hope all you want OP. I'm sure you know that the defense you are hoping us to be was one instance out of a mere two in his entire career where Golden has fielded a Top 25 defense. That's called an "outlier." I'll let you figure out the rest, though I'm sure you'll just whine about me being negative.

It's not my hopes and dreams! Did I say or imply that? No. I'm just bringing a historical reference to light.

Don't worry Hurracanes-- it's not just you. Westendzone seems to have superior intellect which is not apparent to the rest of us.

Advertisement
Hope all you want OP. I'm sure you know that the defense you are hoping us to be was one instance out of a mere two in his entire career where Golden has fielded a Top 25 defense. That's called an "outlier." I'll let you figure out the rest, though I'm sure you'll just whine about me being negative.

I have no problem with your comment. I just don't want people to put words in my mouth or to place labels on me. You bring up a legitimate point about it being an outlier. I have to look at the stats again, but I think they improved under his control. This staff is here to stay another year -- I just wanted to boost the morale a little bit with some positive historical content.

I have no problem with your comment. I just don't want people to put words in my mouth or to place labels on me. You bring up a legitimate point about it being an outlier. I have to look at the stats again, but I think they improved under his control. This staff is here to stay another year -- I just wanted to boost the morale a little bit with some positive historical content.

Their defense regressed back to the 60's Golden's last year. It is an outlier. I made a post with every single defensive ranking Golden has had as a head coach or coordinator a while back. I'll find it later when I'm not in class.

Yards are just yards. I really care about the points we give up. When the majority of your best players are freshmen and sophomores, it takes some time to learn.

Our best players are now becoming sophomores and juniors, with experience. Should help improve the D alone.

Yards are just yards? Did you not watch the last 8 years of Miami Hurricanes football? History shows that you are not going to win a game if your Defense can't get off the field.

Advertisement

Yards are just yards? Did you not watch the last 8 years of Miami Hurricanes football? History shows that you are not going to win a game if your Defense can't get off the field.
I have also posted statistics that disprove niner2107's argument. Basically, unless you are 2010 Auburn led by one of the greatest college QBs of all time, yardage DOES matter. Every team in the BCS-era, sans 2010 Auburn, has had a Top 25 Total Defense. Most were in the Top 10 or 5.

If they cannot move the ball, they in turn cannot score. Not giving a **** about yardage and constantly putting your defense in pressure situations is not a recipe for a championship.

True, at the end of the day, points is what wins and loses games tho. The D has played like poo, we all see it. It's a team game though. It's hard to win when the O can't stay on the field, can't convert 3rd downs, can't capitalize in the red zone, special teams fumbling. The D is def to take the majority of the blame, but its not ALL of it.

Saban swears by scoring defense.

Advertisement
You use Auburn? They gave up 3 less yards than UM did in 2013, 3. Yet look where it took them. It's not ALL about any one thing. And if I had a choice, it would be giving up less points and more yards, rather the the other way around. In my perfect world, we would dominate in both of course.

Total Defenses of the BCS-era Champions
1998 Tennessee - 17th
1999 FSU - 19th
2000 OU - 8th
2001 Miami - 6th
2002 * - 23rd
2003 LSU - 1st
2004 USC - 6th
2005 Texas - 10th
2006 Florida - 6th
2007 LSU - 3rd
2008 Florida - 9th
2009 Alabama - 2nd
2010 Auburn - 60th
2011 Alabama - 1st
2012 Alabama - 5th
2013 - FSU - 3rd

You use Auburn? They gave up 3 less yards than UM did in 2013, 3. Yet look where it took them. It's not ALL about any one thing. And if I had a choice, it would be giving up less points and more yards, rather the the other way around. In my perfect world, we would dominate in both of course.
Did you miss my point about Auburn? Seems like you did.

Auburn was only able to do what they did because of a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Cam Newton. You can't use an outlier to make a logical argument.

Saban swears by scoring defense.

Never seen any quote that says this, but it's funny that his teams don't give up any yardage and have ranked as some of the best in Total D in the BCS era.

Advertisement
Back