Since '99

Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

But we haven't had a class like this in a long time.

That Coker class was the James Bryant, Willie Williams, et al year. It was a glimmer of hope that quickly became a dagger to the heart. For all the accolades in that class, we ended up starting Romeo Davis and Glen Cook as most of them fizzled out.

I knew we were ****ed with Coker when he literally had the pick of the litter across the country at WR and the entire haul (Jolla, Moore etc) turned out to be duds.

Advertisement
This class is trending towards epic, but last year's class has already demonstrated that we've got some real ballers - old school Canes - in that group. The staff's hard work is paying off, and uf is imploding at just the right time.

It's not just about the players. It's the environment you're bringing them into. What they will have to learn and standards to uphold. This is not 08. We have a real staff.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.
Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

Might want to add Cogley (God rest his soul). I hear you Lu. If this goes as expected it's a sign that you can never count us out just like it used to be. Trust the staff will be the mantra. No more sign them early lose them late talk. Locking down S. Fl. comes back into play.

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

Yep, but a lot of the members were basically a foregone conclusion. A good amount of elite prospects are coming on toward the end here. Hence, "finish." I thought back about 3 decades and can't remember something like this. Guys like @MedleyCane might be able to shine some light.

Back in 08 we loaded up on an insane amount of talent on two teams in our back yard. I think we are seeing our staff genuinely out-recruiting other staffs on multiple occasions right now. We saw that happen here and there, but not all cascading like this towards signing day.

It's been a **** of a few days. I don't remember many like it.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]

were you on the miami-hurricanes.com board at all? i didnt start following miami recruiting closely until i joined that board around 2000-2001

I was/am. It's kind of a dead zone now which is why I don't post much over there anymore. I started off on CanesTime (2002 - post-Grassy) but I remember the good ol' days of Augie and Burt (Chise) and GR8 and Deis and the gang. Back when Bakas' opinion meant something lol.

Shadow's board in the late 90s or so was a GREAT source of information at the time.

Anyone remember that Canebill dude? Lol

Underrated thread. You guys got me wanting to run through a **** wall and reminiscing back to some **** good times. Good ****.

Advertisement

were you on the miami-hurricanes.com board at all? i didnt start following miami recruiting closely until i joined that board around 2000-2001

I was/am. It's kind of a dead zone now which is why I don't post much over there anymore. I started off on CanesTime (2002 - post-Grassy) but I remember the good ol' days of Augie and Burt (Chise) and GR8 and Deis and the gang. Back when Bakas' opinion meant something lol.

Shadow's board in the late 90s or so was a GREAT source of information at the time.

it's still around along with Shadow & canebill. guy hasn't changed a bit

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

because of trash coaches/development and Swaesy. Tommy Moffit leaving Miami is one of the most underrated reason of our decline as a football program.. look no further then the LSU vs Miami peach bowl game. Both programs had elite talent.. both had average QB, both recently coming off NC games.. and LSU physically dominated us. LSU is still one of the most well conditioned teams till this day.. and over the years under Swasey we've got progressively softer..

Advertisement
IDK that 2001 class was stacked... the Frank Gore & Roscoe Parrish ordeal that came down to the end with Ole Miss

Frank Gore

Roscoe Parrish -if you've never seen his HS highlights, check'em

Antrel Rolle

Sean Taylor..his state championship game...still got that ****** on VHS

Marcus Maxey

Kelly Jennings

Orien Harris - the Nations Top DL prospect *Delaware Gatorade Player of the Year

Thomas Carroll - Top DL prospect in the sate of New Jersey

Andrew Williams fla-georgia hs game Defensive MVP

Leon Williams- Gatorade Player of the and overall #1 prospect in the state Year Ney York

Roger Rocky Mcintosh....south Carolina boy with a punishing hs tape

Kevin Everett TE

i miss the recruiting class DVD's that were put out.

I have an old late 90's one and some early 2000 ones somewhere.

Advertisement

Bill still posts over there. Crotchety as ever lol

@LuCane

Someone started a thread today titled "Pete's 1/25 Update" and Bill had no idea who Pete was. lol

@LuCane

Someone started a thread today titled "Pete's 1/25 Update" and Bill had no idea who Pete was. lol

half the time I don't think Bill knows where he is.

Advertisement
Back